+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR and how can I get a driving license.Urgent help needed.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
Hi, my PR card is expired and I can not renew my PR card yet because I do not meet the Residency obligation.
I do not have valid Primary ID requested by ICBC.
How Can I get a driving license?

Please HELP

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
You may not have any of the primary documents if you are a PR (without a valid PR card) and have been out of country for a while; I’d recommend contacting ICBC about the potential for an interim ID. The problem is if you are out of compliance with RO, it may be quite a while before you apply for the PR card and even longer before you have a valid PR card, and it is unknown how long ICBC will provide an interim ID for.

If you don't have the right ID
If you were born outside Canada and don't have the required primary ID, please contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada at 1-888-242-2100.

Due to Covid-19, the Government of Canada has been taking several months to process applications for their ID cards. This includes replacement ID such as an expired Permanent Resident Cards. In many cases we will be able to issue you an interim (paper) driver's licence until your Government of Canada ID arrives. Please contact us if you are unsure what other ID we would accept to allow you to obtain an interim driver's licence.
If you do this, please let us know how it work.

Last edited:
Reactions: dpenabill

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
You may not have any of the primary documents if you are a PR (without a valid PR card) and have been out of country for a while; I’d recommend contacting ICBC about the potential for an interim ID. The problem is if you are out of compliance with RO, it may be quite a while before you apply for the PR card and even longer before you have a valid PR card, and it is unknown how long ICBC will provide an interim ID for.

If you do this, please let us know how it work.
Thank you very much, I will try contact ICBC and Immigration bureau.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Thank you very much, I will try contact ICBC and Immigration bureau.
I called ICBC this morning about the interim license. It will likely not be a viable solution fo a PR who is not in compliance with their RO. While there are options for getting the interim without a PR card or other primary document, you have to be able to prove status. The original COPR will not work. The representative mentioned getting an updated landing document (not sure that is a thing), or proof that you have submitted an application for your PR card renewal.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
I just called the ICBC, they don't have anything as the Interim ID. But they say they can accept expired PR card + proof of PR card renewal application. And if the clerk approves of that, they will give you a yellow paper, i think it may be serve as a temporary driving license.

Reactions: scylla

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just called the ICBC, they don't have anything as the Interim ID. But they say they can accept expired PR card + proof of PR card renewal application. And if the clerk approves of that, they will give you a yellow paper, i think it may be serve as a temporary driving license.
In my opinion, that would be a very bad idea!

Yes, the yellow paper is an interim DL, in essence, but by you submitting a PR card renewal application just so you can get a BCDL...knowing that you have not met the R.O., you would be facing the probability of having it rejected. This would be disastrous because you when likely lose your PR status...just so you can drive? Right now, only your CARD has expired. Don't `turn yourself in' by telling them you have not met the R.O. to get a new card.

Might be time to realize that a better option is to wait until you have met the R.O. and THEN try the above plan that you have outlined.

Reactions: Tubsmagee

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022

Yes, the yellow paper is an interim DL, in essence, but by you submitting a PR card renewal application just so you can get a BCDL...knowing that you have not met the R.O., you would be facing the probability of having it rejected. This would be disastrous because you when likely lose your PR status...just so you can drive? Right now, only your CARD has expired. Don't `turn yourself in' by telling them you have not met the R.O. to get a new card.

Might be time to realize that a better option is to wait until you have met the R.O. and THEN try the above plan that you have outlined.
you mean if I submit a renewal application when I don't meet RO, I may lose PR Status?

From what I know, PR Status is permanent, and I will never lose it unless I renounce (give it UP)

Is it not correct?

If it is rejected, it is fine. Because What i lose is only the 50 dollar application fee.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
you mean if I submit a renewal application when I don't meet RO, I may lose PR Status?

From what I know, PR Status is permanent, and I will never lose it unless I renounce (give it UP)

Is it not correct?

If it is rejected, it is fine. Because What i lose is only the 50 dollar application fee.

That is incorrect. I’d recommend looking thru the two links

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1468&top=10

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Is it not correct?

Have a look at the two threads that @Copingwithlife has provided. Suffice it to say that you will lose more than $50 if your renewal is denied. How would you remain in Canada if your PR status is revoked for not meeting the R.O.?

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016

This. Depending on how far out of compliance you are, submitting the PR renewal could be bad idea. Are you currently working? If so, might be better to rely on other forms of transportation until you are back in compliance.

@yujue108 - How many days in Canada do you have for the last five years?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi, my PR card is expired and I can not renew my PR card yet because I do not meet the Residency obligation.
I do not have valid Primary ID requested by ICBC.
How Can I get a driving license?

Please HELP

Is it not correct?

It’s confusing because you’ve posted contradictory statements.
One where you say PR is always permanent till renounced , other is not renewing because you state you haven’t met RO

Review the links , and how far out of compliance are you ?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think that the member realizes that PR status is not a perpetual status, automatically. One has to follow the Residency Obligation to maintain the status.