+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experiences of people travelling abroad with the refugee travel document.

shivahz

Mar 7, 2013
David I have been going all over the place here in montreal trying to find out how I can travel I have been a permenant resident for years now and I have my travel document. please tell me I dont need anything else. I just recently lost a friend and I need to get out of the country.

inky

Jul 15, 2009
Is there any recent experience of traveling to Cuba with RTD? My friend is planning vacation in Cuba and I'm worried if any problem may arise. Apparently, no PPSD is issued anymore since Dec 2012. So, in fact he has only his RTD to show at the border. Please let me know if you have any information/experience on this. Thank you!

ashykids

Jul 23, 2013
Hi David :)
i am a protected person as will, we have the travel document since jun 2013,
do u have any idea if i can take my family to USA for a vacation next month by car?
we are 2 adults and 4 kids age 9/11/13/16
we still have a valid visa to USA in our home passports off course ;) we visit USA 3 times in the past, any problem with that?? shall we mention this!!
with this travel document do we still need a visa ?? is there is any difficulty in the American border with this type of travel documents ?? what about in the way back to Canada??
i really appreciat your help .. have a lovely day ;D

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ashykids said:
Hi David :)
i am a protected person as will, we have the travel document since jun 2013,
do u have any idea if i can take my family to USA for a vacation next month by car?
we are 2 adults and 4 kids age 9/11/13/16
we still have a valid visa to USA in our home passports off course ;) we visit USA 3 times in the past, any problem with that?? shall we mention this!!
with this travel document do we still need a visa ?? is there is any difficulty in the American border with this type of travel documents ?? what about in the way back to Canada??
i really appreciat your help .. have a lovely day ;D
You will need visas for the US and pretty well any other country that you wish to travel to using a RTD

daviddock

Star Member
Jul 23, 2012
Category........
well, you will need a visa from the USA if you want to go there. I dont really want to visit the states so I never applied for that. i went to cuba last year and now i want to travel to mexico... i don't know what the requirements are but i will figure it out. people who want to share more experiences travelling with the refugee travel document of canada are welcome.

I know that PPSD is not longer available on CIC web site. You just need a copy of your ' notice of decision' to get your refugee travel document with passport canada.

Tilikun

Jan 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Veg--CPC-Miss
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
05-09-2013
Med's Done....
13-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
SA and AIP 27-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-01-2015 Landing letter email 12-01-2015
LANDED..........
(On 2nd attempt) 23-01-2015/PRCard received on 09-03-2015
Hi David , can the guarantor in RTD application be my wife ( she's canadian) ? Or it has to be a lawyer or a doctor who signs the app?
Did you go to Mexico already ? , thanks in advance

daviddock

Star Member
Jul 23, 2012
Category........
it has to be a person who is doctor or lawyer or one of those occupations they say on the form. if you don't know anyone like that, just go to notary public and there you will find your guarantor, don't forget to attach your '' notice of seizure'' if you want to apply for your travel document as protect person. i haven't go to mexico yet but that's the plan.. let me know if you travel to mexico what the requirements are.

iggy12

Sep 14, 2011
I am leaving next week to cuba, and the embassy told me that i need a passport not a travel document, sooo lost here...

so am i good to travel to cuba with my travel document from canada without a visa? for a vaction for a week?

if not, wtf do i do ?

Poor Man

Feb 8, 2014
daviddock said:
it has to be a person who is doctor or lawyer or one of those occupations they say on the form. if you don't know anyone like that, just go to notary public and there you will find your guarantor, don't forget to attach your '' notice of seizure'' if you want to apply for your travel document as protect person. i haven't go to mexico yet but that's the plan.. let me know if you travel to mexico what the requirements are.
what is '' notice of seizure'' plz explain thanks, I am new...here...

Gogia

Feb 19, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Seizing documents from refugee claimants
The CIC and CBSA officers should, as a matter of routine, seize all pertinent identification or travel documents carried by refugee claimants. Certified true copies of documents provided to these individuals will still ensure access to federal and provincial requirements.
Seized documents will:
 expedite the identification of the person;
 assist in background checks;
 assist in identifying immediate family members;
 assist in verifying information provided in their Basis of Claim Form (BOC)
 ensure compliance;
 ensure that documents are not recycled;
 assist in removal should the refugee claim be unsuccessful.

daviddock

Star Member
Jul 23, 2012
Category........
iggy12

i went to cuba and i didnt have any problem going there.

poor man

notice of seizure, this form was given to you when you claim refugee and they seized your passport at the port of entry. if you don't have it... let passport canada why you don't have it.

good luck

Gogia

Feb 19, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I apply inland and they took my passport and national id card...a.d gave me true certified attested copies of each for future use etc.

nikudim

Feb 15, 2015
Any recent experience?

I going to apply for RTD only for vacation on Cuba, Dominica…

Please share with us!

Lamia_Elg

Apr 14, 2015
daviddock said:
iggy12

i went to cuba and i didnt have any problem going there.

poor man

notice of seizure, this form was given to you when you claim refugee and they seized your passport at the port of entry. if you don't have it... let passport canada why you don't have it.

good luck
Hi David,
I want to ask you if you have visited Mexico or any other country with your RTD?
Please advise