+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experiences of people travelling abroad with the refugee travel document.

Lamia_Elg

Apr 14, 2015
nikudim said:
Any recent experience?

I going to apply for RTD only for vacation on Cuba, Dominica...

Please share with us!
Hello,
Did you get to visit the Cuba or the Dominican?

nikudim

Feb 15, 2015
Hello!

No. As seems like this topic is dead, i don't know the answer on your question ... I'm going to Germany this September, and I'll update this thread after.

Lamia_Elg

Apr 14, 2015
nikudim said:
Hello!

No. As seems like this topic is dead, i don't know the answer on your question ... I'm going to Germany this September, and I'll update this thread after.
Perfect, I will wait for the updates. Thanks :)

SKguy

Feb 10, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello good people, let's keep this thread alive i am looking for people to share their experience as PR cards now take ages to come.

please share the country you traveled too
the experience upon boarding the plane
arriving to the destination country
returning to Canada and how CBSA treated you

Basically anything you are willing to share will be appreciated!

thank you!

canrocky

Oct 21, 2015
Hi, Were you able to travel to the States with your RTD? i am applying for one, and would really like some clarification on this. i am getting conflicting information from CBSA and CBP. I have an expired Indian passport but a valid US visitor visa.

amahmustang

Nov 26, 2015
KaunaSiya said:
Am going to Cape town in December will be in Transit in London. Will post my experience too...

I wonder if you had any issue in your way back to Canada. I have the RTD too and still waiting for my pr card.

amahmustang

Nov 26, 2015
Vnmgirl said:
Hi everyone,

Just wanna share my experience. I have no passport and no PR card, just refugee travel document.

Mexico consulate issued me a 6 month multi entry visa with my RTD. It's important to show your bank statement with good balance. I went to Mexico 3 times.

I also got single entry visa for Thailand but I haven't used it.

Belize accept Canada travel document on arrival with no visa but you need to show them your return ticket and hotel booking. I went there last month and came back with no problem.
If you have Mexico visa, fly to Cancun. It's only 1.5 hour flight from Cancun to Belize with Tropic Air.

Vietnam don't issue visa to refugees with travel document at all. I've checked with them twice.

My next trip is Cuba. I hope they'll accept my RTD on arrival.

I wish I found this forum before going to Switzerland and they denied my entry. Switzerland consulate people in Canada said I didn't need a visa when I called them. Now I know I need visa for pretty much every country I travel to.

Here is my question. To fly to Thailand, I need to transit in HOng Kong or Taipei. Do I need transit visa? Has anyone had any experience with transit visa?

Thank you.
@vnmgirl

Hi vnmgirl! You mean Switzerland does not allow people who hold RTD to enter at all or you mean they need a visa to enter?

amahmustang

Nov 26, 2015
Vnmgirl said:
Switzeland does accept RTD but you need visa.

The consulate people said I just needed return ticket, hotel booking and spending money for the trip, no need visa. That was not correct.

Hope the info helps.
@vnmgirl
Is the visa called Schengen? I believe the Schengen allows you to enter all countries in Europe including Switzerland.

KaunaSiya

Apr 25, 2015
Vnmgirl said:
Hi KaunaSiya,

Have you been on the trip yet?
Was it easy to get South Africa visa? Did you need transit visa for London?
Cheers

Hi Guys

Am sitting on the beach in Cape town , lovely weather and surrounded by family members, My trip was smooth, i have a south african visa in my RTD had 8 hours transit in London and was not asked any questions, I had a smooth travel and it just like traveling with your passport..

No stress or issues at all, all they want to see is the PR card, and that is good for them

will write about my trip back to toronto again

amahmustang

Nov 26, 2015
Hi there,

I am actually planning a trip to cuba.. I hold the canadian trvel doc. I tried to call the cuban embassy and they told me that i dont need a visa to go there, but they told me that i have to check with airline if they accept travel doc. I tried to call air canada, westjet and sunwing and three of them told me that they dont accpet travel documents. Please advise me who does accept me to travel to there... Thanks

Ana LAura

Feb 29, 2016
Hello
if anyone had experience traveling to Italy can you please help me.
I have a RTD, still waiting for PR, Im planning to take a cruise from Italy and visit Greece
anyone has travel to any of those country's recently?

I also want to share my experience I been 4 times in Cuba and every time i go it happens the same thing :
at checking they always call supervisor to check the RTD and when the supervisor comes just ask for my PR then i have to show the letter that proves that Im a protected person ... and once i get to Cuba the same thing.

I hope someone can help me

Reactions: hemeda2

SKguy

Feb 10, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you have to apply for a Visa? or are you originally from a visa exempt country?

Ana LAura said:
Hello
if anyone had experience traveling to Italy can you please help me.
I have a RTD, still waiting for PR, Im planning to take a cruise from Italy and visit Greece
anyone has travel to any of those country's recently?

I also want to share my experience I been 4 times in Cuba and every time i go it happens the same thing :
at checking they always call supervisor to check the RTD and when the supervisor comes just ask for my PR then i have to show the letter that proves that Im a protected person ... and once i get to Cuba the same thing.

I hope someone can help me