+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experiences of people travelling abroad with the refugee travel document.

Ana LAura

Feb 29, 2016
Hello
I'm from Mexico and as a Mexican I don't need a visa plus I don't have a Mexican passport
Can you tell me more about the Shengen visa ?
Thank you

daviddock

Star Member
Jul 23, 2012
Category........
It is nice to see the thread is still alive... I am Permanent resident now and well i did not go to mexico. I could read you don't need visa to visit Germany. I still have my expired RTD. :D I hope most of the people here could travel where they wanted and have no issues coming back.

Reactions: hemeda2

Tashe3

Jun 24, 2016
Hello all! I wanted to post my experience about my recent travel to Mexico for a week (June 11th 2016-June 18th). I am a protected person in Canada. I hold a valid travel document, which took several month to come in after I applied. I also applied for a Mexican visa at a Mexican embassy in the City which I reside in. I travelled with Air Canada and had no issues. Before I travelled, I confirmed with both Air Canada and West Jet airlines that they accept travel documents, which they both do (I spoke to their reps in person). *Side note, I highly recommend booking a package with Air Canada because they were so organized! The busses were always on time, the BD travel agents for the excursions did a fantastic job!

When I got back to canada, I was sent to see an immigration officer to verify my status in Canada. He asked a few questions, scanned my bags and I was good to go! It is up to you whether you want to bring your protected persons document but the officer said for as long as you have a traveller's document, then you are fine. And of course, don't forget to get a Mexican visa. I hope this post was helpful and good luck with your future travels! :)

Reactions: hemeda2

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Hello, Thanks for sharing. I assume you didn't have PR card and that's why you applied for a visa? I checked Mexico embassy website in Canada and it clearly says RTD plus PR doesn't need a visa. And actually you can enter Mexico as long as your Travel Document is not expired. Can you tell me why you applied for a visa? I already booked a flight but your post is making me nervous. Thanks

Tashe3 said:
Hello all! I wanted to post my experience about my recent travel to Mexico for a week (June 11th 2016-June 18th). I am a protected person in Canada. I hold a valid travel document, which took several month to come in after I applied. I also applied for a Mexican visa at a Mexican embassy in the City which I reside in. I travelled with Air Canada and had no issues. Before I travelled, I confirmed with both Air Canada and West Jet airlines that they accept travel documents, which they both do (I spoke to their reps in person). *Side note, I highly recommend booking a package with Air Canada because they were so organized! The busses were always on time, the BD travel agents for the excursions did a fantastic job!

When I got back to canada, I was sent to see an immigration officer to verify my status in Canada. He asked a few questions, scanned my bags and I was good to go! It is up to you whether you want to bring your protected persons document but the officer said for as long as you have a traveller's document, then you are fine. And of course, don't forget to get a Mexican visa. I hope this post was helpful and good luck with your future travels! :)

Tashe3

Jun 24, 2016
LoveCanada10 said:
Hello, Thanks for sharing. I assume you didn't have PR card and that's why you applied for a visa? I checked Mexico embassy website in Canada and it clearly says RTD plus PR doesn't need a visa. And actually you can enter Mexico as long as your Travel Document is not expired. Can you tell me why you applied for a visa? I already booked a flight but your post is making me nervous. Thanks
Hello! Yes, I do not have a PR card yet. I am still a Protected Person waiting for my residency. I had called the Mexican embassy and spoke to someone at the front desk and they told me I would need a Mexican visa, in addition to my Canadian travel document. I applied for the Mexican visa at the local Mexican embassy in the city which I live in (Calgary). It was processed and issued within a day. I had to bring a bank statement, passport sized pictures and some other documents to my appointment.

Sim93

Dec 3, 2016
Hello .. can anybody talk about his experience traveling to germany with canadian refugee travel document and pr card and if they can take a trip to another country from germany by land like (holland-switzerland..)??thankk you

Reactions: Zuhir

tehtaimuriirl

Sep 24, 2014
hello everyone I need help I just got my travel document and still waiting for pr I am on protected person statis want to go uae do they accept travel documents and do I need to apply for visa please let me know thanks

ass123456sa

Aug 4, 2017
Hello everyone, I have a PR card and I have a Canadian refugee travel document last year I want to Frankfurt, Germany. With no visa. I was hoping to go to China this year but China mainland requires a visa. I looked up traveling to Hong Kong, but the information is not clear. Can anyone tell me if I am able to go to Hong Kong without a visa? Please and thank you

Acacia

Oct 15, 2017
Hello everyone, I have a PR card and I have a Canadian refugee travel document last year I want to Frankfurt, Germany. With no visa. I was hoping to go to China this year but China mainland requires a visa. I looked up traveling to Hong Kong, but the information is not clear. Can anyone tell me if I am able to go to Hong Kong without a visa? Please and thank you
Hello! I travelled to China with a Canadian refugee travel document a few years ago, it was quite straightforward to get a visa. I tried to apply for a Hong Kong visa and they told me it would take a month, so I cancelled. You definitely need a Hong Kong visa if you have a travel document.

Acacia

Oct 15, 2017
hi guys is easy to get shengen visa if you have Canda Travel document with PR? just want 10 days vacation the only purpose want go Erope
I got a Schenghen visa earlier this year. If you have all the documentation, it should be straightforward, although it may take some time for your visa to be processed, depending on which embassy you are applying to. I applied for mine at the Danish Embassy and it took over a month before I received my visa.

yiyi

Jul 4, 2017
I got a Schenghen visa earlier this year. If you have all the documentation, it should be straightforward, although it may take some time for your visa to be processed, depending on which embassy you are applying to. I applied for mine at the Danish Embassy and it took over a month before I received my visa.
did you apply with your PR or your refugee travel document?

atakan24

Feb 11, 2018
Hi guys, I just applied for a Refugee Travel Document and planning to see my sister after years in Netherlands. I am a protected person and I don't have my pr card yet. Do I need a visa to visit Netherlands or are there any Europe countries which do not require a visa ? Some people say Germany does not require a visa if you have a Canada Refugee travel document if so, Other schengen countries souldn not require either there is no border between countries in Europe . Thanks for all the replies.