+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada from USA border (by train or bus)

spacewalkerback

Oct 13, 2013
Hi everybody,,,,,i need your experience in giving me some advice,,,,,, :D ;D

i`m planning to enter Canada from USA as i heard it is more drama free ,also, i will carry a valid PR but i will not meet the residency requirements by two or three months (my pr expired in 2015),also, i was noticed from the IO last time that i have only 40 days to be away from Canada and he will write this in my profile (it means that i been flagged with red flag ,i hope not) and for my luck,my wife had to do an important surgery in my country and it takes more than these 40 days by two months

1- so what do you recommend train or bus? from the point of the easiest with IO.
2-do they let us get out from the train or the bus and pass with the same steps in the airports or they pass by themselves in the train or bus?
3-do they use computers because if so, my red flag let them doubt me?
i need my passport to be stamped? do the IO stamp the passport ? as i heard they sometimes don't stamp it?

any how i`m preparing my self with the human reasons and proves and i will never lie in my travelling documents and if i been reported ,i will go through the appeal,,i`m only 60 days out of the residency requirements and i have a job offer and acceptable letter from a Canadian university to continue my educations.

i need your help and anyone have a similar case or experience

regards

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I traveled to NYC back in 2010 for a month by bus. On the way back, I showed my PR card and the CBSA officer didn't even scan it nor did he stamp my passport.
Earlier this year, I requested my entries/exits from Canada from the CBSA and my entry by land to Canada was recorded. So I wonder how they recorded it...

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I have never traveled from US to Canada by train. From my bus experience, the CBSA officer didn't even scan my PR card and didn't stamp my passport. I am not sure whether it is an exception rather than the rule...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dejaavu said:
I traveled to NYC back in 2010 for a month by bus. On the way back, I showed my PR card and the CBSA officer didn't even scan it nor did he stamp my passport.
Earlier this year, I requested my entries/exits from Canada from the CBSA and my entry by land to Canada was recorded. So I wonder how they recorded it...
They may have had a passenger list from the bus company and he may have looked at the PR card and just checked that your name was on the list and recorded your entry later.

spacewalkerback

Oct 13, 2013
Thanks dejaavu ,,but you didnt get out from the bus ,,the IO passed by himself in the bus orwhat happened exactly?
and what i asked him to stamp my passport,
and in case they did the same with me?
what i should do?is it ill be good thing and stay two years ontionusly ,,,but when i want to renew my PR they need a copy of my passports and i didnt stamp it ,, so ,,how can i prove it then?

by the way,,i have a reply from other petson in this grop mentioning that they let the people get out from the bus and they passed with the same stps in the airport?and they have computer?

the train may be better...

thanks anyhow for sharing your experiance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dejaavu said:
I have never traveled from US to Canada by train. From my bus experience, the CBSA officer didn't even scan my PR card and didn't stamp my passport. I am not sure whether it is an exception rather than the rule...
Exception. My husband has used the bus many times to travel between Canada and the US (he's an American citizen with Canadian PR). I asked and he said that they always swipe his ID (but don't stamp his passport of course since he's a PR).

spacewalkerback

Oct 13, 2013
hi scylla ,

so why they stamp our passports at airports? ::)

i'm in bad situation here :eek:,,i might pass or i might not ....and i might pass without getting my passport stamped hich will be a problem if i want o renew my PR?

also,, they just scan it? i dont understand exactly? does it mean they just scanned it to make sure it is bot faked or in my situation it will berp due to my red flag in my profile!. :eek:

thanks again for your time..

regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They often don't stamp the passports of US citizens.

Getting your passport stamped is not necessary as long as your entry was recorded in the system.

spacewalkerback

Oct 13, 2013
OOH ,,,but i`m not a US citizen....can i ask him to stamp it OR at least i will ask him if that had been recorded to be used when i renew my PR?

Regards

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I didn't know about the RQ thing then. But I have my bus reservations from that time. I keep all my boarding passes from my flights in a folder so in case I get RQ I am ready. I also ordered CBP entries into the US online about 2 months ago. So I should get them sometime next year. I got my CBSA entry history last earlier this month.
At least in my experience, the CBSA officers were waving in the Canadian citizens and PR card holders. Not sure it is always like that or whether it has changed.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I am not a US citizen but when I go to US sometimes US CBP doesn't stamp my passport either and CBSA doesn't stamp either sometimes. That is why I keep all my boarding passes in a folder in case I get RQ.

spacewalkerback

Oct 13, 2013
thanks all,,
but what is the RQ ?

and if i want to renew my PR card,,,how can i prove that i entered Canada in this specific time,,in other words,,the train ticket will be a prove,,i don't think so...can i get official record fro Canada if i entered without stamping my passport...?

regrads

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Usual routine with bus is you get off clear customs/immigration and get back on the bus. Train used to be immigration got on board and dealt with passengers but this may have changed. You provide more passenger info including citizenship when purchasing a rail ticket. Regardless CBSA will either:

1. Admit you without report
2. Admit you with report - unusual for valid PR Card holders but you may meet an agent who strictly follows the letter of the law on residency days.

You will likely get sent to Secondary with your 'flag' profile but then again you may not. No one can tell you the risk but that's what happens when you play fast and loose with the residence obligation..you may get called out! You seem to have medical based H&C reasons for the absence so it may not be an issue even if there is a report but cross the border first then come back to the forum. Everything is computerized nowadays.

Is your admission to the US under the VWP/ESTA or non VWP? This could explain the lack of stamping upon US return possibly based on your I-94/W validity.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I am not from a visa waiver country to US. Each time I enter US I had to fill out I 94 form and they would stamp I 94 but not my passport.