+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada from USA border (by train or bus)

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There was a PR couple that showed up at Montreal airport sometime this year and claimed to be resident in Montreal. BSO asked them when they left Canada and they gave the '2 weeks' variant of false absence..in fact they had been away for several years. BSO asked them innocuous questions about their claimed route to their workplace in the city and their story started falling apart...if you claim to live in Toronto you really should know where Yonge starts and ends eh! Maybe something about the 417? The couple got +100K fines and PR revoked!

Chances of getting past still high enough for most PRs it seems - I wonder if CBSA have set targets for issuing reports...too few/ many is bad somewhere in between good and the PR shows up somewhere along that 'target' line?

parkarasif

Star Member
May 2, 2008
To , Dejaavu,

What is difference between PRIVACY ACT & INFORMATION ACT, I would like to know which I should use it ? Can I fax them too?

Which you used it? What I should write in " method access prefered ".

Thank you in advance.

spacewalkerback

Oct 13, 2013
Msafiri said:
You want to have your cake and eat it by somehow getting stamped into Canada so you can have a record of entry for future PR Card renewal but not get reported which may be best achieved by not getting stamped at all.

Your details i.e. Name, DOB, Citizenship, Gender, Passport and PR Card number will be sent ahead to CBP/ CBSA when you depart the airport/ greyhound/ train station etc so the immigration authorities know you are coming to the US/ Canada before you even arrive at the border. When you arrive in the US CBP will take your photo and fingerprints just to make sure you are the same person that applied for the visa at the US Consulate. CBP will then either electronically record or manually issue you an arrival and departure record form I-94 which is a 2 section document with the class, duration of admission and depart the US by date. If paper based I-94 then CBP will keep the arrival portion and attach the departure portion to your passport. You may or may not get an electronic record depends on how far the automation roll out which started in April 2013 has progressed at the various port of entries. Which is your US arrival airport? You can check your I-94 record post US entry on the CBP website.

When you get to Canada CBSA agent will ask you various questions - these may or may not be detailed and you may or may not get reported. You have no control over this really (having a valid PR Card puts the odds in your favour - improved by the duration of validity) but this is the risk you take when you breach the residence obligation. CBSA agent should take your paper based departure portion of the I-94 which will be handed back to US CBP as proof you left the US. CBSA agent may or may not stamp your passport but will scan your PR Card. You may have to ask for a physical stamp if CBSA don't issue one but then again you may be just glad you are not reported and appreciate your good fortune by continuing your journey.

You will go nuts with thinking about all the various scenarios - no one knows what will happen at the border...you may find a CBSA agent that won't let it slide or you may get one who will just wave you through...all in the roll of the dice.
Thanks a lot for your clarification...
you are right i already become crazy and sometimes i feel that i should get rid of Canada and move over but the efforts i did in my immigration process was tough and it just make me sad.....i`m sure that you are understanding my feelings ...

So rule no. one i should expect anything.
rule no.2 i will never lie on my travailing dates and i will not ,,i always say the truth and may be that is why god is always give me option as i didn't know before about this forum and my ability to stay two years any how in a 5 years window although it is difficult because you may be reported trying so.

i will go in this branch ,,,,entering canada from usa by train(as they mentioned that the IO go in the train board and it may reduced the probability to be caught ...who knows)....and i`m ready for any consequences except that the Canadian agent not let me in to canada ,
in this case i will back again to USA and with my tourism visa ,,it will be little weird that i just left and i just get back..

anyhow i hope god will help me in addition to your experience.

regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
There was a PR couple that showed up at Montreal airport sometime this year and claimed to be resident in Montreal. BSO asked them when they left Canada and they gave the '2 weeks' variant of false absence..in fact they had been away for several years. BSO asked them innocuous questions about their claimed route to their workplace in the city and their story started falling apart...if you claim to live in Toronto you really should know where Yonge starts and ends eh! Maybe something about the 417? The couple got +100K fines and PR revoked!
Do you have a link for that case? So far, the worst I've heard is getting reported on entry, possibly losing PR later but no fines.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Do you have a link for that case? So far, the worst I've heard is getting reported on entry, possibly losing PR later but no fines.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/10/03/couple-fined-120000-for-immigration-fraud-following-government-crackdown/

spacewalkerback said:
Thanks a lot for your clarification...
you are right i already become crazy and sometimes i feel that i should get rid of Canada and move over but the efforts i did in my immigration process was tough and it just make me sad.....i`m sure that you are understanding my feelings ...

So rule no. one i should expect anything.
rule no.2 i will never lie on my travailing dates and i will not ,,i always say the truth and may be that is why god is always give me option as i didn't know before about this forum and my ability to stay two years any how in a 5 years window although it is difficult because you may be reported trying so.

i will go in this branch ,,,,entering canada from usa by train(as they mentioned that the IO go in the train board and it may reduced the probability to be caught ...who knows)....and i`m ready for any consequences except that the Canadian agent not let me in to canada ,
in this case i will back again to USA and with my tourism visa ,,it will be little weird that i just left and i just get back...........
Anxiety is especially bad when self inflicted..CBSA agent (BSO) will let you in even if he reports you. You have PR rights until appeal is heard but you no longer can accumulate time for the RO unless you win the appeal. It seems most BSOs let things slide...you have a valid PR card and your shortfall is on the lower margins plus you have potential H&C medical reasons. Relax and have a safe trip to the US. It may be good for you to take a break from the forum for a few days :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/10/03/couple-fined-120000-for-immigration-fraud-following-government-crackdown/
This looks like a new policy, tough on fraud but blatantly lying to immigration, they kind of had it coming.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I don't know the difference. I just followed the instructions on that page and it was fine. Please follow the instructions there.

spacewalkerback

Oct 13, 2013
Msafiri said:
Anxiety is especially bad when self inflicted..CBSA agent (BSO) will let you in even if he reports you. You have PR rights until appeal is heard but you no longer can accumulate time for the RO unless you win the appeal. It seems most BSOs let things slide...you have a valid PR card and your shortfall is on the lower margins plus you have potential H&C medical reasons. Relax and have a safe trip to the US. It may be good for you to take a break from the forum for a few days :)
Thanks a lot for your help...i will take a break..thanks....but do u agree me that train is better than bus if i will enter Canada from us.

regards

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The reason customs board the train is the higher number of people compared to the bus. I don't think it makes much of a difference which you use as CBSA have your info. If there are any issues on the train you just get left behind while CBSA process you. Take the option that is easiest/ most convenient for your travel route. Buses usually have more scheduled services whereas train may have just the one service each day.

imm_leb_01

Apr 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 February 2013
AOR Received.
11 April 2013
Med's Request
25 April 2013
Med's Done....
8 May 2013
Interview........
RPRF Request june 18th
Passport Req..
26 February 2014
VISA ISSUED...
5 March 2014
LANDED..........
29 March 2014
Hi,

I traveled to the usa by bus for easter and when we came back to canada the officer only looked at my passport and pr card and did not scan any of them, he didn't even stamp my passport ... I did call CBSA and they told me not to worry since they have the list of people on the bus and since it's normal that they didn't scan my pr card. But i am still worried, do you think that this may cause me a problem later ?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
imm_leb_01 said:
Hi,

I traveled to the usa by bus for easter and when we came back to canada the officer only looked at my passport and pr card and did not scan any of them, he didn't even stamp my passport ... I did call CBSA and they told me not to worry since they have the list of people on the bus and since it's normal that they didn't scan my pr card. But i am still worried, do you think that this may cause me a problem later ?
What sort of problem are you worried about?

The only requirement for travelers entering Canada is that they duly report to the POE officer and truthfully answer questions (travelers do not even need to present a Travel Document unless asked, although these days they always ask). Travelers are not responsible for whether or not the POE officials scan documents or stamp passports or otherwise maintain records.

If you concerned about proving compliance with the PR Residency Obligation later, or proving residency for purposes of applying for citizenship, you should be keeping exact and complete records for yourself, including (1) exact record of all international travel, and (2) good records reflecting where you reside, work, and other activities.

Odds are high that the entry will be part of the CBSA travel history records, but CIC does not rely upon those to be complete.

Burden of proving residency is always on the PR.