+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

English language proof for citizenship application

Steel Detailer

Jul 15, 2014
raymasa said:
I thought the same, but I was correct by another member on this forum. As you quoted above

Proof of completion of secondary or post-secondary education in French or English includes:
A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in Canada or abroad. or
A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation, in Canada or abroad.

Note that the above says Canada or abroad.

The person who corrected me (sorry I don't remember the name) said he submitted his degree from the Philippine, and it was accepted.

Having said that, as mentioned above, I don't think taking IELTS or CELPIP is a bad idea. Just to be on the safe side, . Peace of mind rather than worrying about it.

Ray
Hi Ray, You are absolutely right and it really make sense particularly with the word ABROAD! - For me Abroad means anywhere in the world outside of the country you are currently living in.

In Dictionary it says:
1. Out of one's own country.

2. In a foreign country or countries. (take note: it says COUNTRIES - not in particular as English speaking Countries) :)

3. Away from one's home

6. A foreign country or countries in which to live or travel

Cheers!!! And I hope this is Crystal Clear already - But Remember "English Courses" is a must! to back up your Diploma from ABROAD.

dodan

Mar 7, 2010
usa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wondering... guys so LINC course completed in 2014 with CLB4 and higher will be accepted? Or still IELTS or something else required? I had heard LINC will no longer be accepted. But I am wrong then. Please advise.

Thanks!!

kslade said:
For Ontario: Ontario Provincial Language Training Certificate issued by the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration (MCI) funded language training providers (school boards) in or after December 2013. Ensure your Ontario MCI Adult Non-Credit language training program certificate indicates achievement of level CLB/NCLC 4 or higher, in speaking and listening. These certificates must be for:
English as a Second Language (ESL)/Anglais Langue Seconde (ALS)
French as a Second Language (FSL)/Français Langue Seconde (FLS)
Citizenship and Language Training (CL)/Instruction civique et enseignement de la langue (ICEL)
Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC or CLIC): Check the box if you successfully completed the course at CLB4/NCLC 4 or higher from January 2008 to October 31, 2012 and provide a copy of the certificate if available. If you successfully completed the LINC or CLIC course since November 1st, 2012, a certificate will be provided to you. A copy of this certificate is required. Note that completion of LINC or CLIC before 2008 does not qualify for proof of language ability.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
glowingheart said:
what is the proof of employment that they said?
They said:
  • Employment verification letter
  • Copy of T4's (all 4 years preceding the application) are sufficient enough. Alternatively, pay stubs w/o any break will suffice.

So, for 2014, I may have to attach all the pay slips with my 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 T4's.

glowingheart

May 27, 2010
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 26 2010
Doc's Request.
July 27 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 19 2010
IELTS Request
done before application
File Transfer...
Aug 4 2010
Med's Request
March 12 2012
Med's Done....
March 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan 10 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 25 2013
Rossei said:
They said:
  • Employment verification letter
  • Copy of T4's (all 4 years preceding the application) are sufficient enough. Alternatively, pay stubs w/o any break will suffice.

So, for 2014, I may have to attach all the pay slips with my 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 T4's.
thanks

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
dodan said:
Wondering... guys so LINC course completed in 2014 with CLB4 and higher will be accepted? Or still IELTS or something else required? I had heard LINC will no longer be accepted. But I am wrong then. Please advise.

Thanks!!
LINC with CLB4 will be accepted provided they were completed in 2008 or later.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp#language

Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC or CLIC): Check the box if you successfully completed the course at CLB4/NCLC 4 or higher from January 2008 to October 31, 2012 and provide a copy of the certificate if available. If you successfully completed the LINC or CLIC course since November 1st, 2012, a certificate will be provided to you. A copy of this certificate is required. Note that completion of LINC or CLIC before 2008 does not qualify for proof of language ability.

AyaanAayat

Dec 26, 2014
English language proof for citizenship application 2014

Hi,

I want to apply for citizenship, I am graduated from BBA, The courses were in English currently I am doing a Masters program at University of Toronto, I am done just with one semester? Do I still need proof of language or if I send my transcripts and a letter from University of Toronto that I took three courses in Master level would be enough?

Please share your ideas.
Thanks

Aspat

Nov 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi cancitz,

Was your wife's indian degree accepted for language proficiency? Or did u get a letter from her university stating that the medium of instruction is English/did she do ielts?

Joe Joe

Star Member
Aug 28, 2016
I will apply for citizenship very soon.I have a diploma from canadian school but it was a 3 months only course and they give me a certificate.Is it enough as a prrof?

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cancitz said:
Hi Everyone

Needed one suggestion regarding my wife
Application which we are planning to
Apply in week or so for citizenship. Now Cic has added
Language proof requirement as well .
Will her bachelors/ masters certificate/degree
From india be sufficient as proof ?
These are in English.

Or there will be need to obtain canadian
Certifications etc to prove English
Proficiency?

Please Advise.

Thanks
Yes,it is enough. I sent my OTR from my home country,I sent it as it is...it was also almost 10 years old......it was all in English though but it did not specify that the language instruction was in English. It was enough for CIC...I became Canadian last March :D :D
Best of luck!

islandting

Star Member
Aug 19, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
more or likely canadian..afterall youre no longer living in India right ?

HS123

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Hi cancitz,

Was your wife's indian degree accepted for language proficiency? Or did u get a letter from her university stating that the medium of instruction is English/did she do ielts?
Hi Cancitz ,
can you answer this please . I am in the same boat .

canada.msn

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-09-2013
AOR Received.
07-Nov-2013
Hi Cancitz ,
can you answer this please . I am in the same boat .
hi there... can you please answer what you did? i am in the same situation. thx

aeries20

Feb 3, 2018
I thought the same, but I was correct by another member on this forum. As you quoted above

Proof of completion of secondary or post-secondary education in French or English includes:
A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in Canada or abroad. or
A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation, in Canada or abroad.

Note that the above says Canada or abroad.

The person who corrected me (sorry I don't remember the name) said he submitted his degree from the Philippine, and it was accepted.

Having said that, as mentioned above, I don't think taking IELTS or CELPIP is a bad idea. Just to be on the safe side, . Peace of mind rather than worrying about it.

Ray

hi,

so you mean a degree from the philippines is accepted when u apply for citizenship?

Petmalulodi

Nov 17, 2017
hi,

so you mean a degree from the philippines is accepted when u apply for citizenship?[/QUOTE
@aeries20
Yes a degree from the Philippines is accepted.. I submitted my transcript and diploma and was accepted..just had my test interview last week and the officer didn't bother to ask me about my originals..
Somehow, as soon as you start to speak to the officer who is interviewing you, he/she is already gauging your english fluency level.
(This is my 2 cents of observation).. Hope this helps

aeries20

Feb 3, 2018
Thank u for the info. Question again, Did u finish a written citizenship test or just direct interview.

salamat kabayan