Certifications etc to prove English
Proficiency?

Please Advise.

Thanks

om saif

Dec 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
a proof that her studies were in English is enough.

cancitz said:
Hi Everyone

Needed one suggestion regarding my wife
Application which we are planning to
Apply in week or so for citizenship. Now Cic has added
Language proof requirement as well .
Will her bachelors/ masters certificate/degree
From india be sufficient as proof ?
These are in English.

Or there will be need to obtain canadian
Proficiency?

Please Advise.

Thanks

jrjayl

Oct 6, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cancitz said:
Hi Everyone

These are in English.

Proficiency?

Please Advise.

Thanks
A bachelor's degree would be enough. However, it needs to CLEARLY state that the degree was finished in English.

glowingheart

May 27, 2010
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 26 2010
Doc's Request.
July 27 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 19 2010
IELTS Request
done before application
File Transfer...
Aug 4 2010
Med's Request
March 12 2012
Med's Done....
March 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan 10 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 25 2013
cancitz said:
Hi Everyone

These are in English.

Proficiency?

Please Advise.

Thanks
it should be enough but to be safe I will have her do the IELTS
better safe than sorry

cancitz

Feb 21, 2013
Thanks everyone. But her indian degrees are
Printed in English but does not specifically mention
That medium of education was
English . Will it be issue?

om saif

Dec 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
the degree has to be in English, not English translated or printed. in your case i would suggest that she do the CELPIP ls test which is designed for Canadian citizenship otherwise they will return the application uncompleted.

cancitz said:
Thanks everyone. But her indian degrees are
Printed in English but does not specifically mention
That medium of education was
English . Will it be issue?

jujuberanch

Mar 26, 2013
Unless the diploma was earned from an institute in an English-speaking country (US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, etc.).

jrjayl said:
A bachelor's degree would be enough. However, it needs to CLEARLY state that the degree was finished in English.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
The document must clearly show that the program was completed with English or French as the language of instruction.

Well, I haven't seen such certificate yet. My degree is from Canada and my bachelor certificate doesn't say that language of instruction was in English. But it's pretty obvious since the university is in Ontario.

Will my degree certificate be enough then?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Rossei said:
The document must clearly show that the program was completed with English or French as the language of instruction.

Well, I haven't seen such certificate yet. My degree is from Canada and my bachelor certificate doesn't say that language of instruction was in English. But it's pretty obvious since the university is in Ontario.

Will my degree certificate be enough then?
If your degree came from a Canadian university, it will suffice since the language of instruction would either be English or French.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
screech339 said:
If your degree came from a Canadian university, it will suffice since the language of instruction would either be English or French.
Thanks.

I actually called CIC to know that as well as what proof they want for employment history.

kslade

Aug 6, 2014
I don't think your wife's degree from India will be accepted.

These are accepted:

Results of a CIC-approved third-party test at the equivalent of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB/NCLC) [Note 1] level 4 or higher in speaking and listening skills done previously for immigration purposes (even expired) or done specifically for citizenship purposes only. Test results from the following list are acceptable:
Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program General test (CELPIP-G), (not the academic version) You must have achieved a score of:
2H or higher (3L, 3H, 4L, 4H, 5 or 6) in speaking and listening; or
CELPIP-General LS – a two-skills (listening and speaking) version of the CELPIP general test You must have achieved a score of:2H or higher (3L, 3H, 4L, 4H, 5 or 6) in listening and speaking; or
International English Language Testing System (IELTS), general training, not the academic version You must have achieved a score of:
4.0 or higher in speaking, and
4.5 or higher in listening. (If the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a 4 or higher); or

OR

Proof of completion of secondary or post-secondary education in French or English includes:
A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in Canada or abroad. or
A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation, in Canada or abroad.

OR

Proof of achieving Canadian Language Benchmark/Niveau de competence linguistique canadien (CLB/NCLC) level 4 or higher in speaking and listening skills through certain government-funded language training programs are:
For Manitoba: Progress report from Manitoba government issued since January 2009. Ensure your report indicates speaking and listening skills are at least at “completing CLB/NCLC level 4” or higher.
For Quebec: Bulletins by the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI)
Version issued since June 2001. Ensure that your most recent assessment in “ interaction orale” is at least level 4 (Échelle québécoise); or

Version issued since October 2012:

1. Bulletin showing results in “interaction orale”. Ensure that your most recent assessment in “interaction orale” is at least level 4 (Échelle québécoise); or
2. Bulletin issued since October 16th, 2012 showing results in “interaction orale” OR showing results in both “comprehension orale” and “production orale”only. Usually, these start with the course code FIA Ensure that your most recent assessment in “interaction orale” OR both “comprehension orale” and “production orale” is at least level 4 (Échelle québécoise)
NOTE: Bulletin with results from online FEL (Francisation en ligne) classes are not acceptable for citizenship purposes, e.g. these usually have a course code B or FEL.
For British Columbia (BC):
If you received British Columbia’s English Language Services for Adults (ELSA) training in 2008 and 2009, an ELSA certificate confirming language level CLB 4 or higher.
If you received British Columbia’s English Language Services for Adults (ELSA) training since 2010, an ELSA report card or an ELSA certificate confirming language level CLB 4 or higher
For Ontario: Ontario Provincial Language Training Certificate issued by the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration (MCI) funded language training providers (school boards) in or after December 2013. Ensure your Ontario MCI Adult Non-Credit language training program certificate indicates achievement of level CLB/NCLC 4 or higher, in speaking and listening. These certificates must be for:
English as a Second Language (ESL)/Anglais Langue Seconde (ALS)
French as a Second Language (FSL)/Français Langue Seconde (FLS)
Citizenship and Language Training (CL)/Instruction civique et enseignement de la langue (ICEL)
Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC or CLIC): Check the box if you successfully completed the course at CLB4/NCLC 4 or higher from January 2008 to October 31, 2012 and provide a copy of the certificate if available. If you successfully completed the LINC or CLIC course since November 1st, 2012, a certificate will be provided to you. A copy of this certificate is required. Note that completion of LINC or CLIC before 2008 does not qualify for proof of language ability.

glowingheart

May 27, 2010
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 26 2010
Doc's Request.
July 27 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 19 2010
IELTS Request
done before application
File Transfer...
Aug 4 2010
Med's Request
March 12 2012
Med's Done....
March 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan 10 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 25 2013
Rossei said:
Thanks.

I actually called CIC to know that as well as what proof they want for employment history.
what is the proof of employment that they said?

HoneyBee16

Star Member
Jun 16, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys,

You can got to any YMCA centre in your local community and give the below test. My wife did not had IELTS and we submitted Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB/NCLC) to CIC and it was accepted. The results were provided to us on the same day.

We gave this test back in Year 2010 when we landed in Canada. I am not sure if anything changed after that. I would suggest you should call YMCA before going there directly.

Results of a CIC-approved third-party test at the equivalent of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB/NCLC) [Note 1] level 4 or higher in speaking and listening skills done previously for immigration purposes (even expired) or done specifically for citizenship purposes only. Test results from the following list are acceptable:
Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program General test (CELPIP-G), (not the academic version) You must have achieved a score of:
CELPIP-General LS – a two-skills (listening and speaking) version of the CELPIP general test You must have achieved a score of:2H or higher (3L, 3H, 4L, 4H, 5 or 6) in listening and speaking; or
International English Language Testing System (IELTS), general training, not the academic version You must have achieved a score of:
4.5 or higher in listening. (If the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a 4 or higher);

raymasa

Star Member
Apr 12, 2014
kslade said:
I don't think your wife's degree from India will be accepted.

These are accepted:

4.5 or higher in listening. (If the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a 4 or higher); or

OR

Proof of completion of secondary or post-secondary education in French or English includes:
A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in Canada or abroad. or
A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation, in Canada or abroad.

OR

Proof of achieving Canadian Language Benchmark/Niveau de competence linguistique canadien (CLB/NCLC) level 4 or higher in speaking and listening skills through certain government-funded language training programs are:
For Manitoba: Progress report from Manitoba government issued since January 2009. Ensure your report indicates speaking and listening skills are at least at “completing CLB/NCLC level 4” or higher.
For Quebec: Bulletins by the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion (MIDI)
Version issued since June 2001. Ensure that your most recent assessment in “ interaction orale” is at least level 4 (Échelle québécoise); or

Version issued since October 2012:

1. Bulletin showing results in “interaction orale”. Ensure that your most recent assessment in “interaction orale” is at least level 4 (Échelle québécoise); or
2. Bulletin issued since October 16th, 2012 showing results in “interaction orale” OR showing results in both “comprehension orale” and “production orale”only. Usually, these start with the course code FIA Ensure that your most recent assessment in “interaction orale” OR both “comprehension orale” and “production orale” is at least level 4 (Échelle québécoise)
NOTE: Bulletin with results from online FEL (Francisation en ligne) classes are not acceptable for citizenship purposes, e.g. these usually have a course code B or FEL.
For British Columbia (BC):
If you received British Columbia's English Language Services for Adults (ELSA) training in 2008 and 2009, an ELSA certificate confirming language level CLB 4 or higher.
If you received British Columbia's English Language Services for Adults (ELSA) training since 2010, an ELSA report card or an ELSA certificate confirming language level CLB 4 or higher
For Ontario: Ontario Provincial Language Training Certificate issued by the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration (MCI) funded language training providers (school boards) in or after December 2013. Ensure your Ontario MCI Adult Non-Credit language training program certificate indicates achievement of level CLB/NCLC 4 or higher, in speaking and listening. These certificates must be for:
English as a Second Language (ESL)/Anglais Langue Seconde (ALS)
French as a Second Language (FSL)/Français Langue Seconde (FLS)
Citizenship and Language Training (CL)/Instruction civique et enseignement de la langue (ICEL)
Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC or CLIC): Check the box if you successfully completed the course at CLB4/NCLC 4 or higher from January 2008 to October 31, 2012 and provide a copy of the certificate if available. If you successfully completed the LINC or CLIC course since November 1st, 2012, a certificate will be provided to you. A copy of this certificate is required. Note that completion of LINC or CLIC before 2008 does not qualify for proof of language ability.
I thought the same, but I was correct by another member on this forum. As you quoted above

Note that the above says Canada or abroad.

The person who corrected me (sorry I don't remember the name) said he submitted his degree from the Philippine, and it was accepted.

Having said that, as mentioned above, I don't think taking IELTS or CELPIP is a bad idea. Just to be on the safe side, . Peace of mind rather than worrying about it.

Ray