+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employee Work permit application stuck due to technical issues

kslade

Aug 6, 2014
Hello Canada Visa members,

Recently we hired an individual residing in Ukraine. We have gone through the Labour Market Impact Assessment in Global Talent Stream and received a positive LMIA outcome. This individual fled to Turkey when the war started since he has family members there. He has submitted a Work Permit application online. We were expecting a 2-3 week turn around time given the Global Talent Stream classification.

2 months has passed, and the embassy reached out to him saying that his application starts with "V" instead of "W", so he must have applied as a visitor, not as a worker. He created a second application online, selecting Work Permit and entered LMIA number and provided all details. He has screenshots of the application, I can see he selected "Work" under the question "What would you like to do in Canada" and can also see the LMIA questions (which would be irrelevant for Visitors). His second application also starts with "V", and no response received from the embassy. I suspect there's something wrong in their systems.

We ended up calling the Ukraine crisis line, since he resided in Ukraine at the time of conflict, and they also said his application is for a Visitor Visa and not for a Work Visa.

Meanwhile, his girlfriend, who applied individually through the Ukraine crisis portal, received a positive response and an invitation to come to Canada. I am confused as we have a positive LMIA outcome in Global Talent Stream and processing times are supposed to be faster.

I as an employer do not know where / who to contact. Has anyone seen a similar problem where application categories are messed up in the online form? Should we apply via paper forms instead? Appreciate all thoughts as we're both stuck.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Canada Visa members,

Recently we hired an individual residing in Ukraine. We have gone through the Labour Market Impact Assessment in Global Talent Stream and received a positive LMIA outcome. This individual fled to Turkey when the war started since he has family members there. He has submitted a Work Permit application online. We were expecting a 2-3 week turn around time given the Global Talent Stream classification.

2 months has passed, and the embassy reached out to him saying that his application starts with "V" instead of "W", so he must have applied as a visitor, not as a worker. He created a second application online, selecting Work Permit and entered LMIA number and provided all details. He has screenshots of the application, I can see he selected "Work" under the question "What would you like to do in Canada" and can also see the LMIA questions (which would be irrelevant for Visitors). His second application also starts with "V", and no response received from the embassy. I suspect there's something wrong in their systems.

We ended up calling the Ukraine crisis line, since he resided in Ukraine at the time of conflict, and they also said his application is for a Visitor Visa and not for a Work Visa.

Meanwhile, his girlfriend, who applied individually through the Ukraine crisis portal, received a positive response and an invitation to come to Canada. I am confused as we have a positive LMIA outcome in Global Talent Stream and processing times are supposed to be faster.

I as an employer do not know where / who to contact. Has anyone seen a similar problem where application categories are messed up in the online form? Should we apply via paper forms instead? Appreciate all thoughts as we're both stuck.
Just have him apply for the CUAET visa which comes with an open work permit. IMO that will be way faster than starting the closed work permit process from scratch. Processing of visas through the CUAET program is the priority right now due to the situation there. GTS is a lower priority vs. this situation to support people getting out of a war zone.