+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This might have been asked before but I cant figure out so asking again.

What is the difference between physical and basic presence ?

Dave01

Star Member
Feb 24, 2014
punk said:

Physical: Time spent within Canada after becoming PR - must subtract time spent out of Canada after PR

Basic: Time spent between Landing and now - might have travelled out of Canada for one reason or the other after becoming PR but doesn't matter

mercury15

Apr 22, 2015
Dave01 said:
Physical: Time spent within Canada after becoming PR - must subtract time spent out of Canada after PR
You can count even days before becoming PR ( half a day for every day).
Here is the CIC definition of physical presence:
Physical presence in Canada is the amount of time you have lived in Canada within the relevant four-year period, minus time spent serving a sentence, and minus the days you have been physically absent from Canada

O_Ca

Feb 21, 2013
I personally expect it to be postponed till after October elections. They wouldn't retreat June 19 date if they gonna to enforce it in July or August since the date was not formally announced.

Martin29

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
punk said:

Did you mean the difference between Basic residence and physical presence?

Physical presence is when you are physically living in Canada(vacations days outside Canada wont count).But for Basic Residence vacation days outside Canada also will count.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Still no news; but there is another, probably more timely official source to follow: the Orders in Council Database.

There has been no update since May 8th to the Parliament website for the coming into force date of Bill C-24. In contrast, for the last several weeks this site reflected that its coming into force date page was current for a date within the preceding week, so since I have been regularly checking this source this is the first occasion I have seen it go longer than a week without updating . . . perhaps it is the holiday weekend that makes the difference. Not sure.

In any event, there is another source specifically for Governor in Council orders, well, that is, one can search the Orders in Council Database specifically for these orders.

My sense is that Privy Council Office website, where the Orders in Council Database interface is located, will probably be among the very first to publish the Governor in Council's Order fixing the date for when the revised requirements of the Citizenship Act are to come into force.

mature

Sep 15, 2014
dpenabill said:
Still no news; but there is another, probably more timely official source to follow: the Orders in Council Database.

There has been no update since May 8th to the Parliament website for the coming into force date of Bill C-24. In contrast, for the last several weeks this site reflected that its coming into force date page was current for a date within the preceding week, so since I have been regularly checking this source this is the first occasion I have seen it go longer than a week without updating . . . perhaps it is the holiday weekend that makes the difference. Not sure.

In any event, there is another source specifically for Governor in Council orders, well, that is, one can search the Orders in Council Database specifically for these orders.

My sense is that Privy Council Office website, where the Orders in Council Database interface is located, will probably be among the very first to publish the Governor in Council's Order fixing the date for when the revised requirements of the Citizenship Act are to come into force.

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mercury15 said:
You can count even days before becoming PR ( half a day for every day).
Here is the CIC definition of physical presence:
Physical presence in Canada is the amount of time you have lived in Canada within the relevant four-year period, minus time spent serving a sentence, and minus the days you have been physically absent from Canada
This would be so sweet if this happens. So some will get PR and then just come after 3 years to claim citizenship, Does not seems like this would be the case.

In my case, I travel a lot due to business for short trips ( 1-4 days ) and was concerned that this will effect my number of days.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
By the way, in using the Orders in Council Database, the search to look for an order regarding the SCCA (Bill C-24) is very simple: enter a date (yyyy-mm-dd format) in the "from date" and in the "to date" boxes (the current day's date is fine for the "to date"), put "citizenship" in the "keywords" box, and be sure check the "yes" button for "Coming into Force of Acts Since 2002."

For example, if the "from date" entered is 2014-07-31 or earlier (going back to 2006 say), only one order comes up, and that is indeed for the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act, the order dates July 31, 2014, and it is the Order Fixing August 1, 2014 as the Day on which Certain Provisions of the Act Come into Force . . . which, in particular is the . . .

Order fixing August 1, 2014 as the day on which subsection 7(3), section 11, subsections 12(1) and (3), section 13, subsection 16(2) and sections 20, 22, 27 and 41 of the STRENGTHENING CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP ACT, chapter 22 of the Statutes of Canada, 2014, COME INTO FORCE.

When the Governor in Council finally makes the Order fixing the date for the revised requirements for grant citizenship to take effect, that order should come up in this same search.

By the way, if in conducting the search the "any" button, for "Coming into Force of Acts Since 2002," is checked (rather than the "yes" button), that will result in many more orders including those respecting Regulations amending the Citizenship Regulations, but also all the Orders for the revocation of citizenship.

It was interesting to note, for example, that the Governor in Council has ordered the revocation of 28 citizenships so far this year alone.

Didoung

May 16, 2015
If you guys are right and Bill C-24 really won't be implemented before 6-10 months, I will be a happy camper. I become eligible on March 7, 2016.

buddhaB

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
ari5323 said:
dpenabill !! I did not get your point ?
what did you figured/dig out from the above 2 websites ?
The most important thing we all should learn from that post is the Governor in Council has ordered the revocation of 28 citizenships in 2015 (until now)

the rest is bullcrap.

Unfair implementation of this typical "conservative" Bill will create a backlash for sure.They lost about 3-4 votes just from my side.FOREVER.

They don`t care about immigrants`prosperity and rights? Too bad. Toronto-Newyork.One way $250. ( this is called brain-drain.In this case,US is the country which receives the brain.What will be left for Canada? Goose?)

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
buddhaB said:
The most important thing we all should learn from that post is the Governor in Council has ordered the revocation of 28 citizenships in 2015 (until now)

the rest is bullcrap.

Unfair implementation of this typical "conservative" Bill will create a backlash for sure.They lost about 3-4 votes just from my side.FOREVER.

They don`t care about immigrants`prosperity and rights? Too bad. Toronto-Newyork.One way $250. ( this is called brain-drain.In this case,US is the country which receives the brain.What will be left for Canada? Goose?)
for gods sake, you need to stop it.
we are all here thankfull for Canada for giving us shelter, please positive atitude only !!!!

asaif

Sep 3, 2010
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ari5323 said:
for gods sake, you need to stop it.
we are all here thankfull for Canada for giving us shelter, please positive atitude only !!!!
While I agree that we need to abandon the negative tone and to show some gratitude, saying that Canada has gave the immigrants shelter is an overstatement. Whatever shelter you get here you need to pay for it. I had to sell my house in my home country to buy another one here. Nothing comes for free.