+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RAY2112 said:
My friend called CIC today, and the guy said to him that the cutoff date will be on 19th of June.
Unfortunately the call centre clerks keep on saying different dates and months, and they got no clue when the cut off date will be simply because nobody knows yet.

The date when is known will be published in the Gazette and on the CIC web site, until then everything is only speculations and rumours.

valigap31

Mar 8, 2015
RAY2112 said:
My friend called CIC today, and the guy said to him that the cutoff date will be on 19th of June.
Apparently, they are telling that to everybody. They told me as well 2 weeks ago (19th of june).

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
If 19th of June is being floated around then maybe there is some truth to it.

valigap31 said:
Apparently, they are telling that to everybody. They told me as well 2 weeks ago (19th of june).

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If that is the date where is the confirmation?
I know a lot of people are calling the regular call centre clerks , next time when they say another different date and month ask them how can the people be sure when there is nothing official to support their speculations.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DND said:
Purely a speculation on my part, but nevertheless, I don't expect the changes to happen this month

PC are planning some advertisement spending during May, In addition to May being the month that many tax returns payments are made, and pre-election budget is not out yet

So in my opinion, there are 2 possibilities
1) a budget is presented, and an early (~June/July) election is called (vote for us and we will implement this budget - Wynne style)
2) October elections to be called, after a (balanced) budget is presented, leaving the June-September months to "real" issues like immigration/defence etc

Not sure if the actual decision is made yet by the PMO, because there is a lot of financial uncertainty around Canada's economy.

Anyway, there seems to be no point in implementing the change this month, and especially without notice, because it will only create lots of applications, on which the fees would need to be returned.
In addition, for the time being the "low skill temporary foreign workers" occupy enough of the public interest, and the "strengthening citizenship act" is best to be kept for later, especially if October election date is preferred
It's absolutely open ended question, the only thing we continue to hear are only speculations about different dates and months so far and of course nothing official yet.

The key according to me is when they will be ready with the background work about the internal connections between CIC CRA , The border authorities and so on.
A lot of regulations have to be changed in order to give CIC the authority to take personal data like SIN , and sharing personal data on the line... still seems a lot of work for me and I don't think that it could be done that fast if they've started it at the beginning of March... so everything is still unknown.

Niette

Apr 2, 2015
Hi

I have been reading this thread for long time already , but one thing stays unclear for me , can anybody please clarify it.
I've landed and received my PR status on June 2013. Taking in consideration I have not been and will not be out of country even for one day , the date I can send my application for residence is in June 2016.
So in case the new law will be effective from lets say this summer somewhere in June-July 2015 , meaning is I will not be able to send my application next summer , but need to wait now till summer 2017 at least.
From the other hand , I saw lots of posts talking about the immigrants who landed in 2013 the month or before the same month in 2015 when the new law will take effect are safe and can send their applications already this year?
I'm totally confused. And don't understand why the cut off is on 2013 immigrants only and not on all who landed before June 2014 when the new law was approved ?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Niette said:
Hi

I have been reading this thread for long time already , but one thing stays unclear for me , can anybody please clarify it.
I've landed and received my PR status on June 2013. Taking in consideration I have not been and will not be out of country even for one day , the date I can send my application for residence is in June 2016.
So in case the new law will be effective from lets say this summer somewhere in June-July 2015 , meaning is I will not be able to send my application next summer , but need to wait now till summer 2017 at least.
From the other hand , I saw lots of posts talking about the immigrants who landed in 2013 the month or before the same month in 2015 when the new law will take effect are safe and can send their applications already this year?
I'm totally confused. And don't understand why the cut off is on 2013 immigrants only and not on all who landed before June 2014 when the new law was approved ?
I am not sure I understand the question, but I can offer the following:

You are correct, if you landed and became a Permanent Resident, say June 19, 2013, under the currently applicable residency requirement you would meet the basic residency requirement (three years since landing) as of June 19, 2016, and if you never took a trip abroad in those three years, you would also meet the actual physical presence threshold of 1095 days (three years) that same date.

But, sometime this year the SCCA amendments to section 5(1) of the Citizenship Act will come into force, and be applicable to all citizenship applications made that day or after. So, by the time you will meet the minimum requirements under the current law, the new law will apply, and you are correct that under the new law it will be June 19, 2017 before you can possibly be eligible (minimum requirement to be 1460 days, or four years, of actual presence in Canada; "basic residency" will no longer be a factor, only days actually present in Canada).

Of course there are some PRs who landed and became a PR a month before you, say May 19, 2013. Most of them are in essentially the same position as you, and will have to wait until May 2017 to apply. However, some of those PRs were already living in Canada, on work permits, or student permits, or a Temporary Resident Visa, or such. Under the current law, someone who has been a PR for at least two years, and who was living in Canada prior to becoming a PR, is entitled to a half-day credit for each day they were living in Canada before becoming a PR. This is limited to days within four years of the day the application is made (and thus the maximum pre-landing credit is one-year).

Thus, for example, if the PR who landed one month before you, say May 19, 2013, never left Canada, and for two years prior to the day he or she became a PR they were living in Canada and never left Canada, he or she will meet the residency qualifications for citizenship as of May 19, 2015, this year.

This goes to one of the aspects of the changes which are so aggravating and disappointing for PRs who were in Canada working for years prior to becoming a PR but who will miss the cutoff to apply before the SCCA amendments come into force.

For example, consider three PRs who all came to Canada to work more than four years ago with temporary status, and who have mostly been living in Canada ever since, and assume the coming into force date for the amendments is July 1, 2015 (we do not know the actual date as yet):

PR 1 landed July 1, 2013
PR 2 landed June 21, 2013
PR 3 also landed June 21, 2013
And all three have been living and working in Canada since, say, January 2011.

PR 1 will not, cannot, meet the qualifications for citizenship under the current residency requirement before July 1, 2015, and assuming the new law takes effect that day, PR 1 will not meet the new requirements until July 1, 2017. Thus, the soonest PR 1 will be eligible for citizenship is July 1, 2017.

In contrast PR 2, who landed and became a PR just ten days before PR 1, never left Canada at all, PR 1 will meet the current residency requirement on June 21, 2015, based on two years actual presence since landing and becoming a PR, and credit for one year of presence based on the two years living in Canada with temporary status between June 21, 2011 and June 21, 2013.

That is, PR 1 and PR 2 have been in Canada just about an equal amount of time, but because PR 1 landed a mere 10 days later than PR 2, PR 1 will have to wait two more years before becoming eligible for citizenship.

How aggravating this is for some is further illuminated considering if PR 3, whose time in Canada is almost exactly the same as PR 2, both landing and becoming a PR on June 21, 2013, both having been living and working in Canada since January 2011 . . . but PR 3's father died in the home country the fall of 2013, so PR 3 went to his home country to be with his mother and attend services and such, and was outside Canada for just ONE week, just 7 days. Because of that one trip, to attend a parent's funeral abroad, PR 3 will not reach the 1095 days of actual physical presence until some time in July 2015 (note that, given the arithmetic for calculating pre-landing credit, it takes two days to make up for each of the days absent), after July 1, 2015, so because of that one trip PR 3 will also have to wait until July 2017 to become eligible for citizenship.

That is, PR 2 will be eligible for citizenship as of June 21, 2015, but PR 3 who went home for just one week for a parent's funeral will not be eligible until July 2017.

And many feel this is especially unfair since there was no notice to PR 3 at the time PR 3 took the one week trip abroad that that would delay his eligibility for citizenship for two years.

I sympathize with those trapped by this, especially those for whom a lengthy delay in becoming a citizen can mean lost educational, job or other career opportunities. Two additional years can literally have a significant if not major impact on their careers.

But for those for whom it is merely an inconvenience, the difference really is not that important in the course of a lifetime (I personally chose to wait an extra two years plus a bit just to make sure if I got RQ it would nonetheless go smoothly).

And for those who were planning on pursuing opportunities in employment or careers outside Canada, well the Canadian government has been trying to discourage if not preclude their path to citizenship for years anyway, and even if they did not have specific notice of the precise changes coming, the government had been sending strong signals that they were doing what they can even under the current law to make it at least difficult for these individuals to become citizens, including imposing procedural requirements that resulted in very long delays.

valigap31

Mar 8, 2015
CanadianCountry said:
If 19th of June is being floated around then maybe there is some truth to it.
Well, bill c 24 was ASSENTED on 19th of June 2014, Chris Alexander mention that It will come into the force one year from now. But I wont be surprised if the date will change. Anyway I don't think it will be early then 19th/June/2015.

bkara

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2012
File Transfer...
Aug 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Med's Done....
June 2013
Interview........
Sept 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Let me tell you something a lot of people,who have nothing to lose,tell others how to feel and think with the change of this residency obligations law.

Mike has got PR on july 10th,2013
Jason has got PR on july 12th,2013

both have been working and paying taxes,and filing taxes every year.Both are good citizens,contribute to society and,love here.

the law changes on july 11th 2015,let`s say,Mike will be eligible to apply for citizenship but Jason will not.

There is nothing called tough luck when it comes to rights,and equality.STOP trying to make people feel calm and accept their situations.If they raise their concerns and voices,there might be equality in this country SOMEDAY.

it is like 3 people hurt themselves and need paramedics,1 paramedic ambulance arrives but can only take 2 people to the hospital,they cannot take the other one so "tough luck buddy" you die here we cannot call in another paramedic.The 3rd guy also has the right to get treatment

do not stop raising your voice and going after your rights people,next time,they will do something else and call it "tough luck" again..
Some parts of this Bill creates hostility in prospective citizens`mind.Then the CIC has no right to ask why people move ELSEWHERE after getting Canadian passports since I am NOW considering moving elsewhere after I get my Canadian passport.

Mar 13, 2015
To: dpenabill

You wrote:

I personally chose to wait an extra two years plus a bit just to make sure if I got RQ it would nonetheless go smoothly.

Although I do not always agree with your conclusions, I always find your posts to be informative, well-reasoned, and helpful to those who find themselves hopelessly adrift in the "CI Sea" (CIC).

Apparently, in waiting an additional 2+ years, prior to application, you may have amassed 1,825 out of the 5-year period, a self-imposed requirement, more stringent than that of C-24, whether it will be effective during a month ending in a consonant or a vowel, or any other "secret" formula!

Did you provide a "cushion" (actually a "mattress"!) of 730+ days, solely in order to "make sure if [you] got RQ it would nonetheless go smoothly", and not in an attempt to reduce the possibility of the issuance of an RQ?

"Bureaucracy is as bureaucracy does. When NOT in doubt follow instructions! Otherwise, try to determine which of several conflicting instructions is the one to follow!"

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
bkara said:
Let me tell you something a lot of people,who have nothing to lose,tell others how to feel and think with the change of this residency obligations law.

Mike has got PR on july 10th,2013
Jason has got PR on july 12th,2013

both have been working and paying taxes,and filing taxes every year.Both are good citizens,contribute to society and,love here.

the law changes on july 11th 2015,let`s say,Mike will be eligible to apply for citizenship but Jason will not.

There is nothing called tough luck when it comes to rights,and equality.STOP trying to make people feel calm and accept their situations.If they raise their concerns and voices,there might be equality in this country SOMEDAY.

it is like 3 people hurt themselves and need paramedics,1 paramedic ambulance arrives but can only take 2 people to the hospital,they cannot take the other one so "tough luck buddy" you die here we cannot call in another paramedic.The 3rd guy also has the right to get treatment

do not stop raising your voice and going after your rights people,next time,they will do something else and call it "tough luck" again..
Some parts of this Bill creates hostility in prospective citizens`mind.Then the CIC has no right to ask why people move ELSEWHERE after getting Canadian passports since I am NOW considering moving elsewhere after I get my Canadian passport.
Sorry there will always be a thing called tough luck. No matter what date the new deadline is assigned, there will always be a "Mike and Jason" scenario. A line has to be drawn somewhere. If not July 11th, 2015 is not good enough, when is it then? No matter date you want, there is going to be someone who will be affected by the change.

Besides you are using a poor analogy. The example you gave means a life and death situation. Qualifying for citizenship is not a matter of life and death situation. You are basically saying that a person dying is an equivalent to someone who just missed a deadline, alive and well as that. So you are comparing apples and oranges here.

bkara

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2012
File Transfer...
Aug 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Med's Done....
June 2013
Interview........
Sept 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
screech339 said:
Sorry there will always be a thing called tough luck. No matter what date the new deadline is assigned, there will always be a "Mike and Jason" scenario. A line has to be drawn somewhere. If not July 11th, 2015 is not good enough, when is it then? No matter date you want, there is going to be someone who will be affected by the change.

Besides you are using a poor analogy. The example you gave means a life and death situation. Qualifying for citizenship is not a matter of life and death situation. So you are comparing apples and oranges here.
PRs who have got their status after the new law is the current law are only affected from the change.

Mike and Jason have become PRs with 1 day difference.Mike did not become a PR after the new residency obligation law is the current law.Got it?

This is the solution.That is it.This new residency law clearly shows how a conservative`s mind work.There is computer systems that can separate 2 different dates :)

Still do not get it ? your problem.There is no tough luck when the subject is rights and equality,I said.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
I agree with @bkara.

screech339 said:

Besides you are using a poor analogy. The example you gave means a life and death situation. Qualifying for citizenship is not a matter of life and death situation. You are basically saying that a person dying is an equivalent to someone who just missed a deadline, alive and well as that. So you are comparing apples and oranges here.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
bkara said:
PRs who have got their status after the new law is the current law is only affected from the change.

This is the solution.That is it.This new residency law clearly shows how a conservative`s mind work.

Still do not get it ? your problem.There is no tough luck when the subject is rights and equality,I said.
As I have said in previous post, I agree with the premise that those who landed before the new law should be granted some form of exemption to the new law. Those who landed before the new law can only get the 4 year exemption. They should still must pass all the new requirements except that they can qualify after 1095 physical days instead of 1460 days. I think that is a fair and reasonable approach to those who are affected by the new rules.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Tories dont care much about fairness. They want votes. As the economy is struggling and contracting many born Canadians are suffering due to job losses. The Tories want to show these people that they are not favoring immigrants and are giving immigrants a hard time.

screech339 said:
As I have said in previous post, I agree with the premise that those who landed before the new law should be granted some form of exemption to the new law. Those who landed before the new law can only get the 4 year exemption. They should still must pass all the new requirements except that they can qualify after 1095 physical days instead of 1460 days. I think that is a fair and reasonable approach to those who are affected by the new rules.