+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Early submition of PR Card renewal application

jojok9

Aug 10, 2009
Hi seniors,

Requesting your suggestions and recommendations:

Me and wife are PRs and our PR card expiry is on 9 May 2014. We landed on 30 April 2009.

Our physical stay in Canada will be 730 days only by last week of March 2014.

As per my record we were OUT of Canada for 1055 days and no intention to exceed this 1055 days within our 5 year priod.

But we intends to travel in May 2014 out of Canada.

Question :1. As we have not yet completed the madatory oblgation of 730 days, can we still submit our PR renewal application? - means within 6 months of the expiry of PRCard?.

2. If we don't receive our renewed PR cards, shall we travel out of Canada?.

3. We have few travels to USA via Niagara falls in 2010, 2011 and in 2012. Total stay in USA is 64 days which included our 1055 days out of Canada. I have E-tickets and boarding passes from Buffalo to Atlanta, and Buffalo to Charlotte for both way travel.
Is it sufficient for proof to travel or should I get any report from US boarder service?.

Our pasports does have few arabic exit re-entry visa and stamps, which I am planning to get it translated in Toronto.

Your valuable advice would be much appreciated

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Don't submit your PR renewal application until you have met the 730 day residency requirement. If you submit the application early, you're going to create huge problems for yourselves and possibly put your PR status in jeopardy.

If you don't get your renewed PR cards on time, the you'll have to apply for a travel document from outside of Canada in order to return to Canada.

jojok9

Aug 10, 2009
scylla said:
Don't submit your PR renewal application until you have met the 730 day residency requirement. If you submit the application early, you're going to create huge problems for yourselves and possibly put your PR status in jeopardy.

If you don't get your renewed PR cards on time, the you'll have to apply for a travel document from outside of Canada in order to return to Canada.
Thank you very much Scylla for your immediate and quick response. As you advised I would submit my application only in April 2014, as soon as I complete about 740 days ( 730+10 bonus ).

Appreciated. Plus One for you.

Regards.

jojok9

Aug 10, 2009
Do you have any suggestion Scylla about my question:

3. We have few travels to USA via Niagara falls in 2010, 2011 and in 2012. Total stay in USA is 64 days which included our 1055 days out of Canada. I have E-tickets and boarding passes from Buffalo to Atlanta, and Buffalo to Charlotte for both way travel.
Is it sufficient for proof to travel or should I get any report from US boarder service?.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think you need reports from CBP and CBSA about your entry and exits history between the two countries.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. As at today Dec 3, 2013 you have about 148 days taking into account the any day or part thereof in Canada counts as one day for the Residence Obligation to your 5th anniversary of your landing date on April 30, 2014. So do you have 582 days in the period from today back to 30 April 2009?

2. Pursuant to 1 then depending on the days you have and as advised don't apply without 730 days even if it means remaining in Canada with expired PR Cards.

3. CIC tends to refer to the Local Office those applicants who apply at 730 days or around this figure (as you intend to) on an urgent basis which is the only way you can get PR Cards prior to departure and have no history of work in Canada. Can you prove your presence if required? Are you employed or self employed? Have you filed taxes? Do you have valid health cards? Timelines for those referred on this forum range from 8-15 months so you really don't want this to happen.

4. If I was an applicant with 730/ 740 days and applied for urgent travel I would not leave Canada until I got my PR Card. The Residence Obligation is for each 5 year rolling period so you must meet this when you apply for a TD. You may very well be ok at PR Card renewal but then you leave at day 740 means you have 10 days to apply for the TD or else you are in big trouble if the visa post bounces you. Add in travel times, getting to the visa post, obtaining TD forms, mailing these out etc...is 10 days enough especially if you have to go via a VAC.

5. US entry/ ext records (from CBP) are not required at application but may be useful to clear any doubts. The PR Card renewal form asks you to authorize CIC to get your Canada entries from CBSA. CBP has a backlog so apply now if you want to get your info by April 2014.

jojok9

Aug 10, 2009
Msafiri said:
1. As at today Dec 3, 2013 you have about 148 days taking into account the any day or part thereof in Canada counts as one day for the Residence Obligation to your 5th anniversary of your landing date on April 30, 2014. So do you have 582 days in the period from today back to 30 April 2009?

2. Pursuant to 1 then depending on the days you have and as advised don't apply without 730 days even if it means remaining in Canada with expired PR Cards.

3. CIC tends to refer to the Local Office those applicants who apply at 730 days or around this figure (as you intend to) on an urgent basis which is the only way you can get PR Cards prior to departure and have no history of work in Canada. Can you prove your presence if required? Are you employed or self employed? Have you filed taxes? Do you have valid health cards? Timelines for those referred on this forum range from 8-15 months so you really don't want this to happen.

4. If I was an applicant with 730/ 740 days and applied for urgent travel I would not leave Canada until I got my PR Card. The Residence Obligation is for each 5 year rolling period so you must meet this when you apply for a TD. You may very well be ok at PR Card renewal but then you leave at day 740 means you have 10 days to apply for the TD or else you are in big trouble if the visa post bounces you. Add in travel times, getting to the visa post, obtaining TD forms, mailing these out etc...is 10 days enough especially if you have to go via a VAC.

5. US entry/ ext records (from CBP) are not required at application but may be useful to clear any doubts. The PR Card renewal form asks you to authorize CIC to get your Canada entries from CBSA. CBP has a backlog so apply now if you want to get your info by April 2014.
Thank you very much MSafiri for your detailed reply. Looks you have spared a lot of your time for me. God bless you.

I did work out our exact entries and exits from the date of our landing - 30 April 2009. We will complete 730 days on 14 March 2014.

Our PR card shows :

Became Permanent Resident on : 30 April 2009
Category FC4
Expiry: 14 May 2014

Therefore, as yourself and Scylla advised I will apply for our PR renewal only after 14 Mar 2014 ( on completion of 730 days).

Our planned travel out of Canada is on 04 May 2014, which will be approx 40 days after applying for renewal but before the expiry of our existing PR Card. Our return travel date to Canada is not yet decided.

As recommended I will apply for travel records from CBP and not from CBSA.

Both myself and my wife are retired and not working. We are FC4 (Family Class- Parents) and living with our son in Ontario.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Its still worth applying for the CBSA report so you can compare your dates to those on the CBSA system.

2. In my opinion your chance for referral is higher than normal because its more difficult for you to prove presence.

3. There is a lag between applying for your travel records data and receiving the same. To be effective you need to receive the data post the 730 days but it must cover the 730 days you need to meet the RO. Do you have enough time to say apply for the data on day 720 and then on day 730 both CBSA and CBP process your requests with receipt before you leave on day 770? If you have visitor visa exempt passports or US visas then your strategy may work in case there are any issues with the PR Card renewal application. If you neither applies to you I'd wait till the cards were out or you had a higher buffer than the 40 days you plan to have so you can apply for a TD.

4. As a side note check the TD process at your home country visa post and be aware that some visa posts make TD application difficult for applicants including the requirement to show up for interview. Remember too there isn't a parental sponsorship at this time though should re-open in Q12014 with much more stringent criteria including 3 years filed taxes as proof of income and a 20 year agreement to pay back any welfare claimed!

jojok9

Aug 10, 2009
Msafiri said:
1. Its still worth applying for the CBSA report so you can compare your dates to those on the CBSA system.

2. In my opinion your chance for referral is higher than normal because its more difficult for you to prove presence.

3. There is a lag between applying for your travel records data and receiving the same. To be effective you need to receive the data post the 730 days but it must cover the 730 days you need to meet the RO. Do you have enough time to say apply for the data on day 720 and then on day 730 both CBSA and CBP process your requests with receipt before you leave on day 770? If you have visitor visa exempt passports or US visas then your strategy may work in case there are any issues with the PR Card renewal application. If you neither applies to you I'd wait till the cards were out or you had a higher buffer than the 40 days you plan to have so you can apply for a TD.

4. As a side note check the TD process at your home country visa post and be aware that some visa posts make TD application difficult for applicants including the requirement to show up for interview. Remember too there isn't a parental sponsorship at this time though should re-open in Q12014 with much more stringent criteria including 3 years filed taxes as proof of income and a 20 year agreement to pay back any welfare claimed!
Thank you very much.+1 for you MSafiri.

I could now realize the situation from your comments that there are impediments for a straight approval of PR renewal unless the residency has been proved. Probably I would prefer to post pone my intended travel out of Canada till I get the PR Card renewed.

I am not from a visa exempted country but both of us have valid US visitor visas till 2020. If there is a delay for PRTD I will follow your suggestion to enter via Buffalo by road, with COPR copy in lieu of PR Card.

Coul you please give the correct link for getting the "arrival/departure" details from CBP. I found one site but it seems that is intended for US residents only.

Information regarding Entry and Exit: FOIA -
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/admin/fl/foia/

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The CBP link you have is the correct one to get information for US entry/exit. Make the request online which includes setting up an account.

jojok9

Aug 10, 2009
Msafiri said:
The CBP link you have is the correct one to get information for US entry/exit. Make the request online which includes setting up an account.
Yes, it is fine. I will do it. Thanks a lot.