File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What happens if an international student is charged with DUI? anyone on the same boat?
That's bad news and will create issues for your future stay in Canada if you are convicted.

Hire a very good lawyer and get the charges either dropped or reduced to a non-DUI charge.

The rules changed a few years ago and a DUI is now a much more serious situation for an international student then it was previously.

Reactions: Taran D and YVR123

Crassiva

Aug 23, 2021
That's bad news and will create issues for your future stay in Canada if you are convicted.

Hire a very good lawyer and get the charges either dropped or reduced to a non-DUI charge.
Whats the likelyhood of the charges being dropped or reduced with a alcohol level of 240mg/100ml blood? do you know any good lawyers you can suggest?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Whats the likelyhood of the charges being dropped or reduced with a alcohol level of 240mg/100ml blood? do you know any good lawyers you can suggest?
I'm not a criminal lawyer and don't know what the chances are.

I don't know any lawyers to recommend.

Crassiva

Aug 23, 2021
Hi

1. If you are convicted, it is considered serious criminality, and if you are reported, there is a very good chance you will be removed from Canada.
Hi thanks for your reply, what do you mean by if you get reported?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi thanks for your reply, what do you mean by if you get reported?
think what @PMM means is that once convicted the courts can report your case to CBSA who can chose to deport you. It will depend on the length of your mail sentence or if you get a Jail sentence. When you go to apply for any status in Canada you will have to declare any criminal record. Depending on what your criminal record is that could make you inadmissible to Canada. You need a criminal lawyer who can take into account your immigration status.

Reactions: Ottawa-applicant

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Like everyone else said in here. You will need to get a good criminal and immigration lawyer for defense and legal advise.
Make sure they are aware of your immigration status and the consequences if you are convicted.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Holy jumpin'! .240 is a VERY high reading - 3 times the legal limit.
That was my reaction exactly when I saw this. I didn't want to be a downer, but I agree it's going to take a lot of $$$ to try to fix this and an excellent lawyer. That's an absolutely terrible BAC. How one can even be driving a car at that point...

Crassiva

Aug 23, 2021
Holy jumpin'! .240 is a VERY high reading - 3 times the legal limit. Criminal Code amendments in 2018 made impaired driving law and penalties tougher. If you end up convicted after a trial, you could face jail, as well as a fine of $1,000 or more, plus a lengthy driving prohibition. On top, it could be fatal to your immigration status. With evidence of a .240 reading, you can expect a pretty good tongue lashing from the bench, but that will be the least part.

Your only hope at trial, as I see it, is to somehow suppress the breathalyzer evidence. There are endless ways to attack it, including arguments it was procured in breach of the Charter of Rights. It will take a good lawyer. I do not know your province. A perusal of your previous posts shows one that hints at Ontario, but just a guess.

You asked about charges being dropped. No chance, not at .240, unless there is a serious flaw in the Crown's case.

As for charges reduced. To what? You could offer to plead guilty to a parking ticket in exchange for a stay of proceedings. Sorry to sound flip, but I see little prospect there. Again, if your lawyer sees a hole in the Crown's case making it risky for the Crown to go to trial, but risky for you too, maybe a deal could be cut, but chances are slim.

In short, you need to take this very seriously, and soon. To do that will cost money. Your legal bill could easily be $15,000 or more. One must remember:

Justice is open to every man. Just like the Ritz Hotel.
I wasn't even driving the car i was just charging my phone to order an uber or call a friend Plus i'm just 3 months here so i didn't know the laws unfortuantely...

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I wasn't even driving the car i was just charging my phone to order an uber or call a friend Plus i'm just 3 months here so i didn't know the laws unfortuantely...
Where were you sitting in the car? Do you have a driver's license? Was it your car? It doesn't matter if you aren't driving, if you are sitting in the driver seat with the engine turned off or even sleeping, you can be charged with impaired driving. The law is designed to prevent impaired driving too.

Start googling lawyers in your area. Pick a firm that focuses on impaired driving and if lucky immigration too.

Reactions: scylla

Frozen11

May 3, 2021
Holy jumpin'! .240 is a VERY high reading - 3 times the legal limit. Criminal Code amendments in 2018 made impaired driving law and penalties tougher. If you end up convicted after a trial, you could face jail, as well as a fine of $1,000 or more, plus a lengthy driving prohibition. On top, it could be fatal to your immigration status. With evidence of a .240 reading, you can expect a pretty good tongue lashing from the bench, but that will be the least part.

Your only hope at trial, as I see it, is to somehow suppress the breathalyzer evidence. There are endless ways to attack it, including arguments it was procured in breach of the Charter of Rights. It will take a good lawyer. I do not know your province. A perusal of your previous posts shows one that hints at Ontario, but just a guess.

You asked about charges being dropped. No chance, not at .240, unless there is a serious flaw in the Crown's case.

As for charges reduced. To what? You could offer to plead guilty to a parking ticket in exchange for a stay of proceedings. Sorry to sound flip, but I see little prospect there. Again, if your lawyer sees a hole in the Crown's case making it risky for the Crown to go to trial, but risky for you too, maybe a deal could be cut, but chances are slim.

In short, you need to take this very seriously, and soon. To do that will cost money. Your legal bill could easily be $15,000 or more. One must remember:

Justice is open to every man. Just like the Ritz Hotel.

Agreed! The social aspects of a reading that high alone are going to make it difficult for you! Best of luck!

Reactions: firstax

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Claiming ignorance of the law won't help you. You need to get yourself an excellent lawyer and get prepared to shell out some big $$$.

Crassiva

Aug 23, 2021
Naturgrl is right. It does not matter that you were not driving. The Criminal Code uses the word "operate" and that is defined to include both driving and merely having "care and control". All the more reason to hire a lawyer experienced in these matters. Sometimes, whether one had "care and control" can be an arguable proposition.

As Naturgrl suggests, even sleeping in the vehicle can get you charged if you have the keys in your possession and you could have set the vehicle in motion. But the cases reveal a wide range of fact patterns and whether the facts in your case open the door to a legal argument for the defence will have to be determined by your lawyer.

The .240 BAC is indeed worrying. One of the few impaired cases I defended (unsuccessfully) years ago involved a reading in that range. At the trial in Provincial Court in Vancouver (222 Main St., still there), I was told by the judge: "At that level of impairment, you might as well put a gun in his hands and set him loose". The exact words spoken might have varied from that slightly. The "might as well put a gun in his hands" part I recall well.
I really appreciate your comment i hope everything goes well.