+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DOUBTS? "Can I 'Land' anywhere" matter -Which POE to Choose !!!

duplexblue

Dec 3, 2012
Hi qorax

I have a Federal Skilled Worker - AEO - PR Visa

On the first post you advised that its a right for all PR to land at any POE

In your last reply to me you advised that immigration might not let me in ?????

IABooti

Mar 21, 2010
Pakistan
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-01-2010
Doc's Request.
12-03-2010
AOR Received.
27-07-2010
Med's Request
27-2-2012
Med's Done....
31-3-2012
Passport Req..
01-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2013
LANDED..........
25-3-2013
Hi Qorax
As a FSW immigrant,
I want to land in Montreal , stay there for about 15 days with my relatives and then move on to Toronto . Question is :
1. Will I get PR card in Montreal
2. Can I give address of my relatives in Montreal for receiving the PR Card, or address outside Quebec will be required

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
IABooti said:
Hi Qorax
As a FSW immigrant,
I want to land in Montreal , stay there for about 15 days with my relatives and then move on to Toronto . Question is :
1. Will I get PR card in Montreal
2. Can I give address of my relatives in Montreal for receiving the PR Card, or address outside Quebec will be required
1. Ur PR Cards arrive at the 'address' that u supplied to the BSO@the a/port. City/Province selected would be immaterial IMHO.
2. I believe so, IMHO again.

IABooti

Mar 21, 2010
Pakistan
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-01-2010
Doc's Request.
12-03-2010
AOR Received.
27-07-2010
Med's Request
27-2-2012
Med's Done....
31-3-2012
Passport Req..
01-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2013
LANDED..........
25-3-2013
Thanks Qorax

Just to reconfirm from you :

So does it mean all of my landing formalities including PR Card will be completed at Montreal airport even I am an FSW immigrant and leaving Montreal 15 days ??

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
IABooti said:
Thanks Qorax

Just to reconfirm from you :

So does it mean all of my landing formalities including PR Card will be completed at Montreal airport even I am an FSW immigrant and leaving Montreal 15 days ??
YES.
They may ask u the reason for entering thru Montreal -- but when u disclose that u r just visiting for a few days & would subsequently move to xyz province -- u'd be let thru.

ishwarp

Star Member
Jul 11, 2012
gujarat india
Category........
Visa Office......
ndvo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
jan 2012
AOR Received.
feb 2012
File Transfer...
april 2012
Med's Request
29 aug 2012
Med's Done....
22 sept 2012
Interview........
RPRF encashment on 28/09/2012
Passport Req..
29 aug 2012
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 06/12/2012
LANDED..........
PP received on 10/12/2012
On my COPR destination is mentioned is " toronto"
And i want to land at "vancouver" and then my final destination is castlegar(BC)
where my relative lives. Where i expect to stay for minimum 3-6 months.

Shall I land at vancouver and complete landing formalities there?
If IO ask why you land at vancouver whereas your COPR shows destination as Toronto?

Please advice

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
ishwarp said:
On my COPR destination is mentioned is " toronto"
And i want to land at "vancouver" and then my final destination is castlegar(BC)
where my relative lives. Where i expect to stay for minimum 3-6 months.

Shall I land at vancouver and complete landing formalities there?
If IO ask why you land at vancouver whereas your COPR shows destination as Toronto?

Please advice
Tell them you are going to visit some family in the area before you move onwards to your final destination. If they ask you what your "final destination" is, just tell them you don't know and you plan on using that first couple months to make that determination. Once you are a permanent resident, you have the Charter guaranteed right to live anywhere in Canada anyway.

vikbindah

Oct 20, 2012
qorax said:
Guys,

Lots of us have got the visa/s lately [2010]. And we are now having some doubt about our 'choice of landing', after being on this great forum & having surfed enough reg. various Canadian cities. Thus, the question, "Should I Land in the City mentioned in my Application/COPR, or can go to another Canadian city"?

Please be Clarified that:
As a federal skilled worker, we can chose any POE in Canada & complete our landing formalities, regardless of the destination mentionned in our Apps or the COPR, except Quebec* [details below].

Canada's immigration laws provide for a 2 step process for our visa applications:
>Step-1. The CIC/CHCs carry out stage One (read our apps processing system).
>Step-2. Carried out by an Immigration Officer at the POE.

Reg. step-1, we are already familiar. This is how we get our PR Visas. For the step-2 (at POE) however, landing is our "Right". Though not an 'automatic right', we must still satisfy the officer at the POE that our entry is permissible: A12(1), called the 'Verification of PR', outlined in Sections 19(1) & (2) of the Act. But, another thing is also involved in this step-2, called 'Completion of the Record of Landing' for admission into Canada, which is obligatory.

For this "Record of Landing", 'admissibility' is not affected by our choice of POE. All it's needed is to fill up certain forms, specifically the PR Card form (IMM 5444E), wherein we have to provide an address for card delivery. This can be anywhere, beyond the POE. This is how newcomers with COPR destination as Montreal-Quebec drive thru the POE of Sarnia, Bluewater Bridge. There are many other examples, but for brevity I just chose one.

*There is only 'one' catch though. For Quebec, although any FSW would be allowed to enter thru a Quebec POE, they cannot complete the 'Record of Landing' here. And would have to further drive/fly to another province (any) to report to its Immigration Officer for the 'completion' of record of landing. This is because Quebec needs the CSQ certificate to complete this procedure. Which only is for a Quebec PR applicant. (however, it is not vice-versa... a Quebec PR applicant can do all the formalities in any other Canadian POE).

End Note: Anyone of us FSWs can land in any Canadian POE, irrespective of what's written in our apps or the COPR.

Hope that's of some help.
Qorax.
Dear Qorax,

i have been selected under the QSW programme, and going thru your thread i have made my mind and book my tickets to land at Calgary, instead of montreal. Still some person are persuading that its not correct, and i'll will hve problem with the Immigration officer. i have one month to take my flight, i am tensed and scared. Please advise, and give me some testimonies of people who have succeed.

thank you and am impatiently waiting for your reply

smiling_face

Champion Member
Apr 20, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2012
LANDED..........
Landed
Hello Captain,

Hope you are doing fine! Currently, I am planning for booking flight and have one question for you. I prefer Qatar Airways to fly and in Canada Qatar comes direct to Montreal. Then I need to further fly to my destination (most likely Alberta).

Although I know that as a FSW applicant, I can choose any POE, but my concern is to 'complete' the record of landing.

My questions are ~

1. If I take a connecting flight from Montreal to Calgary, do I need to pass the immigration?
2. If yes, would it be any problem to explain the things into passport control since the record of landing can't be completed there?

You have mentioned that:

*There is only 'one' catch though. For Quebec, although any FSW would be allowed to enter thru a Quebec POE, they cannot complete the 'Record of Landing' here. And would have to further drive/fly to another province (any) to report to its Immigration Officer for the 'completion' of record of landing. This is because Quebec needs the CSQ certificate to complete this procedure. Which only is for a Quebec PR applicant. (however, it is not vice-versa... a Quebec PR applicant can do all the formalities in any other Canadian POE).

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t35499.0.html

Since I will be flying with my little kid, I am really tensed. Please help me understanding things.

Thanks much!

smiling_face :)

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
vikbindah said:
Dear Qorax,

i have been selected under the QSW programme, and going thru your thread i have made my mind and book my tickets to land at Calgary, instead of montreal. Still some person are persuading that its not correct, and i'll will hve problem with the Immigration officer. i have one month to take my flight, i am tensed and scared. Please advise, and give me some testimonies of people who have succeed.

As long as you have a CSQ (which will show in the computer) there won't be any problems with you landing at any POE in Canada.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
smiling_face said:
1. If I take a connecting flight from Montreal to Calgary, do I need to pass the immigration?
Yes, you must pass through immigration at your first entry into Canada. The flight from Montreal to Calgary is a domestic flight and you will not go through immigration or customs at Calgary - you will do so at Montreal.

smiling_face said:
2. If yes, would it be any problem to explain the things into passport control since the record of landing can't be completed there? [/color]
It won't be any issue at all. YUL staff will complete the entire landing process there in Montreal. You will not be required to do anything else. They WILL want to confirm you do not plan on staying in Quebec, but with your onward tickets you won't experience any problem at all.

Of course, once you are a permanent resident you can live anywhere you wish in Canada - including Quebec - as that right is guaranteed under the Charter.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
duplexblue said:
Hi qorax

I have a Federal Skilled Worker - AEO - PR Visa

On the first post you advised that its a right for all PR to land at any POE

In your last reply to me you advised that immigration might not let me in ?????
Not with AEO.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
vikbindah said:
Dear Qorax,

As a QSW u r expected to settle in the province of Quebec. Thus, as long as u demonstrate to a BSO at any other POE that u r travelling further to Quebec -- they'd let u thru. However, if u demonstrate that u r settling in Calgary -- they'd put a spoke in ur landing process.

Qorax

smiling_face

Champion Member
Apr 20, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2012
LANDED..........
Landed
computergeek said:
Yes, you must pass through immigration at your first entry into Canada. The flight from Montreal to Calgary is a domestic flight and you will not go through immigration or customs at Calgary - you will do so at Montreal.

It won't be any issue at all. YUL staff will complete the entire landing process there in Montreal. You will not be required to do anything else. They WILL want to confirm you do not plan on staying in Quebec, but with your onward tickets you won't experience any problem at all.

Of course, once you are a permanent resident you can live anywhere you wish in Canada - including Quebec - as that right is guaranteed under the Charter.
Thanks so much! It now makes sense to me! :)

van100

Star Member
Jun 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw Ex-Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 2009
AOR Received.
Jan 2010
IELTS Request
March 2012
File Transfer...
Dec 2011
Med's Request
May 2012
Med's Done....
June 2012
Does the law remain unchanged?
In my CPR wrote Vancouver. Can I land in Toronto without problems? Just answer Yes or No if you never mind Captain Qorax :)
Thank you for your valuable time