+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do they know if we leave Canada?

calvinwang2012

Star Member
Jun 26, 2014
SenoritaBella said:
All flight manifests are shared with CBSA, so you can bet your bottom dollar they have the records. They actually refer to it, the new forms have a question to authorise access to these records.

I attended a workshop a few years back and one of the booths had posters/information about privacy and confidentiality. I was shocked to learn just how much information is recorded on everyone daily. Did you know that when you book a flight(or make reservations) the airline is required to run your name through some databases(I'm guessing 'do not fly lists', etc) before you can be cleared for take off?

So if you are travelling from Canada to Australia, every country you land or whose airspace you will flyover(e.g. the US) is provided a flight manifest. This makes absolute sense considering people have lied on applications forms about their travels yet CIC discovered it. e.g. one case last year of a guy who spent a few years in Italy but left it off his application and CIC uncovered it. This also explains why people can get away with security at one airport but be detained on arrival.

Hi dear Senior member, could you reveal some more information about the case you mentioned that a person got caught by CIC because he did not mention his stay in Italy? Did he have stamps in his passport? There should be some clues that led CIC to discover his "secret stay"...

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
calvinwang2012 said:
Hi dear Senior member, could you reveal some more information about the case you mentioned that a person got caught by CIC because he did not mention his stay in Italy? Did he have stamps in his passport? There should be some clues that led CIC to discover his "secret stay"...
Italy stamps both entries and exists -- rest assured :).

calvinwang2012

Star Member
Jun 26, 2014
Empirical-Scientist said:
Italy stamps both entries and exists -- rest assured :).
Hi empirical scientist,

do you know how to request a entry/exit immigration record from Italy? I do not know if they issue this kind of document...

applicant314

Star Member
Feb 9, 2014
Italy is part of the Schengen area. If you want Italian stamps, you need to fly from outside the Schengen area directly into an Italian airport. If you fly into another airport, e.g. Amsterdam, they stamp your passport there. If you have a passport of a Schengen country, they won't stamp it at all, regardless where you enter.
As far as I know, the Schengen area does not have a database that tracks travel movements, so they won't be able to provide you with a record of movement.

calvinwang2012

Star Member
Jun 26, 2014
applicant314 said:
Italy is part of the Schengen area. If you want Italian stamps, you need to fly from outside the Schengen area directly into an Italian airport. If you fly into another airport, e.g. Amsterdam, they stamp your passport there. If you have a passport of a Schengen country, they won't stamp it at all, regardless where you enter.
As far as I know, the Schengen area does not have a database that tracks travel movements, so they won't be able to provide you with a record of movement.
Thank you dear member for your response. Were you saying that probably the Italian customs or whatever agency in charge of immigration movement won't be able to provide me with such records? This country does not have its own travel movement database? Then how could I prove to CIC of my entry/exit from Italy?

applicant314

Star Member
Feb 9, 2014
I don't know the details that apply to you. A lot depends on where your passport is from and what kind of visa you were travelling on.
Usually, passenger travelling within the Schengen area are kept separate from those entering or exiting the Schengen area. E.g., if went to Italy via Amsterdam, your passport will contain entry&exit stamps from the Netherlands, although you actually spent your vacation in Italy. The story might be different if you had to arrange a visa beforehand.
You can Google, whether Italy can provide you with such records.
As for CIC, some people say that flight tickets and boarding passes work. A lot depends on the officer reviewing your file, though.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
calvinwang2012 said:
Then how could I prove to CIC of my entry/exit from Italy?
You don't have to prove anything. You just list it. I have tons of travel to various EU countries with connections in between. The interviewer simply looked for EU stamps around that time frame. She understood that if I put down Prague, Czech Republic and saw I had a stamp in Frankfurt, Germany around the same dates, it means I cleared EU customs in Frankfurt and then continued on my way to Prague. She didn't care that I didn't have a stamp from the Czech Republic, just that I had some EU stamp from somewhere in the Schengen zone for that date.