+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I (a postdoc) need a new job offer to get arranged employment 50 points?

RoRoy

Nov 7, 2019
For those who have already obtained PR or are currently applying under the EE as a postdoctoral fellow, may I ask if it is possible to use the current job offer to apply for the arranged employment 50-point bonus? My current contract will expire at the end of this year and is less than one year. What other supporting information is required?

Pdm_ca

Nov 26, 2022
You need a job offer letter that says your job will be valid for at least 1 year post your PR.

RoRoy

Nov 7, 2019
You need a job offer letter that says your job will be valid for at least 1 year post your PR.
Thank you for your reply. Can it be written by my supervisor or does it have to be an official university document?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda

RoRoy

Nov 7, 2019
Thanks, Is it true that the remaining time on a job offer does not necessarily need to be a full year? For example, if someone started working this year, even though the original job offer was for a one-year period, it may not be necessary to fulfill the entire year.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks, Is it true that the remaining time on a job offer does not necessarily need to be a full year? For example, if someone started working this year, even though the original job offer was for a one-year period, it may not be necessary to fulfill the entire year.
Are you on a LMIA exempt permit? To count 50 points, you need one year of Canadian experience and then a letter from your employer that you will have full-time employment one year past PR.

Pdm_ca

Nov 26, 2022
Wouldn't they need a LMIA or LMIA exempt offer in this case? It seems like OP is trying to claim points for job offer which would definitely either need LMIA or LMIA exempt job offer (which needs a reference number to claim iirc).
Yes - i agree with you on this. But since he says he has job offer letter already in place, i am assuming he has worked around the LMIA/ exempt technicalities. His question revolved around his expiring offer & he has been posting across threads :) The link is quite explanatory for all the categories. It should be of help to his question or any ripples of it.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

RoRoy

Nov 7, 2019
Are you on a LMIA exempt permit? To count 50 points, you need one year of Canadian experience and then a letter from your employer that you will have full-time employment one year past PR.
Yes, it is LMIA exempt permit and I have already worked at the same university for 3 years. It may be challenging for the university office to provide a guarantee of continued employment for me after obtaining permanent residency, as there are uncertainties involved.

tianlu777

Sep 15, 2022
The offer should be at least one year after you get PR. My situation is a bit similar to yours though, only with a longer contract. I used the offer specifying an end date around Dec 2024 to apply for EE-CEC, hoping IRCC may anticipate I would be able to get PR before Dec 2023o_O. Currently my eligibility is in progress. We'll see...o_O

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, it is LMIA exempt permit and I have already worked at the same university for 3 years. It may be challenging for the university office to provide a guarantee of continued employment for me after obtaining permanent residency, as there are uncertainties involved.
You will have to ask the university because the letter is mandatory to count the 50 point.

RoRoy

Nov 7, 2019
The offer should be at least one year after you get PR. My situation is a bit similar to yours though, only with a longer contract. I used the offer specifying an end date around Dec 2024 to apply for EE-CEC, hoping IRCC may anticipate I would be able to get PR before Dec 2023o_O. Currently my eligibility is in progress. We'll see...o_O
Your qualification for the points is perfectly in line with the regulations. I believe there is no problem with your application.

Reactions: tianlu777

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your reply. Can I just ask my supervisor to write a letter for me to indicate that he would hire me for a year?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html

The link has what needs to be in the job offer. It must come from your employer. If your supervisor is your employer and paying you, then you can try. If you are paid from a university, you probably will need university sign off.

Reactions: RoRoy

tianlu777

Sep 15, 2022
Thanks for your reply. Can I just ask my supervisor to write a letter for me to indicate that he would hire me for a year?
In my personal experience, if your supervisor has the money and is willing to hire you, that would work definitely. But the official letter still needs to come from the university, as it is a legal document. Your supervior may simply initiate the administrative process for the offer letter issuing as the standard procedure in your university. Talk to your supervisor, and talk to the administrative staff for postdoc matters.

Reactions: RoRoy and Naturgrl