+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Devastated at how long it's taking ( over 4 months since passport request)

Soleil2020

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
scylla said:
CIC tends to put applications on hold (i.e. not process them) if any documentation is missing. When they find something is missing, they send out a notice requesting the missing information and then put the application aside and don't work on it any further until the application is complete.

As a result, I would suspect that you lost a few months of processing time between the time the CSQ was requested and the time it was received and the officer began looking at your file again.

Also, just because the CSQ was received in November doesn't mean that's when the officer began to actively work on your file again. CIC has something called a "bring forward date". If there's information missing and a request is sent, the officer will typically attach a bring forward date to the application that is a few months in the future and then set the application aside. The bring forward date is the date on which the officer is supposed to look at that application again to see if the missing information has arrived and work on the application can continue. If the missing information is received before the bring forward date, sometimes the officer will start working on the application again sooner. However in other cases, the officer might not touch the file again until the bring foward date has been reached (even if the missing information was recieved months/weeks earlier).

Long story short, any missing information tends to cause applications to go the scenic route and tends to add processing time because missing information causes the application to be set aside and not worked on for period(s) of time.
Thank you. That at least sheds some light on the situation and helps us understand. Any idea how long the "bring forward" date is typically set for?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Soleil2020 said:
Thank you. That at least sheds some light on the situation and helps us understand. Any idea how long the "bring forward" date is typically set for?
I don't know.

Have you requested your CAIPS/GCMS notes? This might give you an idea where CIC is in the processing and will also include any bring forward dates.

Soleil2020

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
scylla said:
I don't know.

Have you requested your CAIPS/GCMS notes? This might give you an idea where CIC is in the processing and will also include any bring forward dates.
I have no idea what "CAIPS/GCMS notes" are. That's the first I've ever heard of it. How do I request them?

HoneyEllis

Star Member
May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011
File Transfer...
10-08-2011
Med's Done....
08-04-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Soleil2020 said:
Come on, people. I know no one has any answers. I acknowledged that in my initial post, but " You'll just have to wait. " ? That's a bit of a chilly response to someone who is languishing in an indefinite limbo.
I don't really think you're getting a chilly response here. Posters are sharing what information they can, I think Scyalla's post about the 'bring-forward dates' and setting aside applications while further documentation is being provided is absolutely correct in your case. Whilst you were excited to get the passport request, since then your application has fallen off track because of the CSQ stuff, so you are no longer on the path that most applicants follow after the passport request. Other posters were posting in good faith when they told you that things were looking good at the time of the passport request, but since then things have changed (ie the CSQ stuff).

Also, you're able to visit with your spouse during processing, which puts you in a much better position than lots of people on this forum (who are not visa-exempt and have longer processing times from their countries) so in this context I don't think your getting a chilly response.

In your situation, I think I would be directing some of my hostility to my attorney ... perhaps you wouldn't be "languishing in indefininte limbo" had you known the CSQ stuff from the beginning.

best of luck in a speedy processing from here on :)

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
Stage 1 AOR + SA January 8, 2014
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Further Medical Tests Requested: October 24, 2013
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
Soleil2020 said:
Come on, people. I know no one has any answers. I acknowledged that in my initial post, but " You'll just have to wait. " ? That's a bit of a chilly response to someone who is languishing in an indefinite limbo.

I already know I'll have to wait. Which is why I am devastated that there is no answer as to even roughly what that wait is.
I'm sorry to say this, but as far as I can see, people here have taken the time to give you their opinion about your situation. If you weren't expecting any answers cause you knew already no one has them, then I guess "You'll have to wait" is more than enough.

Based on the information you provided, I agree with the rest. You file is within the normal processing time if you count in the delay that the CSQ has caused. I also agree with you that the waiting times are unreasonable, but there are other people that go through the same stressful situation or maybe even worse. There is no telling what the outcome will be, only CIC knows what they're doing.

I think you should expect to hear from them with a final decision around June/July.

Regarding the CAIPS/GCMS notes, I think is a good idea to request them. Go to: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-atip.asp and follow the "Online request" link.

Soleil2020

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
HoneyEllis said:
I don't really think you're getting a chilly response here. Posters are sharing what information they can, I think Scyalla's post about the 'bring-forward dates' and setting aside applications while further documentation is being provided is absolutely correct in your case. Whilst you were excited to get the passport request, since then your application has fallen off track because of the CSQ stuff, so you are no longer on the path that most applicants follow after the passport request. Other posters were posting in good faith when they told you that things were looking good at the time of the passport request, but since then things have changed (ie the CSQ stuff).

Also, you're able to visit with your spouse during processing, which puts you in a much better position than lots of people on this forum (who are not visa-exempt and have longer processing times from their countries) so in this context I don't think your getting a chilly response.

In your situation, I think I would be directing some of my hostility to my attorney ... perhaps you wouldn't be "languishing in indefininte limbo" had you known the CSQ stuff from the beginning.

best of luck in a speedy processing from here on :)
I certainly don't deny that some people have it worse. But didn't come on here to debate who has it worse. Every person and every circumstance is different. It isn't for anyone else to say that I have it better off or that I'm not languishing.

I didn't mean that ALL the answers were cold. It was just the aloof comment " You'll just have to wait." when I obviously know I'll have to wait.

I'm not intending to vent any hostility toward anyone here. If someone reads that from my posts, they are simply misreading and misunderstanding.

The post about the "bring it forward date" was actually very helpful. All we really want right now..aside from landing papers, is some (even vague) idea of how long the wait is likely to be.

A unwanted separation from a spouse is hard and can put a real strain on a marriage no matter how far away or relatively close it is.

HoneyEllis

Star Member
May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011
File Transfer...
10-08-2011
Med's Done....
08-04-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Soleil2020 said:
It isn't for anyone else to say that I have it better off or that I'm not languishing.
I simply tried to provide some 'context' to the responses you were getting by comparing the your situation relative to that of other posters here

If someone reads that from my posts, they are simply misreading and misunderstanding.

OK - I guess it was just my misreading - I guess I got distracted by the "languishing in indefinite limbo" bit (no hyperbole there at all)

A unwanted separation from a spouse is hard and can put a real strain on a marriage no matter how far away or relatively close it is.

I don't think you have to explain that to anyone on this forum...

Anyhow as I said in my first reply - best wishes for a speedy resolution (and I'll try really hard not to misread your future posts)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Soleil2020 said:
If someone reads that from my posts, they are simply misreading and misunderstanding.
Much like you thought my "You'll just have to wait" was aloof.

Anyway, to anwer the question you asked me about GCMS notes: follow the insturctions here (the sponsor will have to be the one to request them - not you):

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-atip.asp

harryiswaiting

Star Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi/ Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/04/2012
Doc's Request.
Ottawa 01/2014
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
23/07/2012
Med's Done....
13/03/2012
Interview........
28/01/2013
Passport Req..
13/08/2012
VISA ISSUED...
Refused 29/01/2013, Appeal won Nov, 2013
LANDED..........
HarryisSTILLwaiting.
Sometimes dealing with CIC just makes you want to pull your hair out! It can be incredibly frustrating, so in my rather now long experience with them, we've come to realise not to expect anything when it comes to dates. Actually, don't expect anything from them, full stop. They held my husband's passport for nearly 6 months, only to have it shoved back in his face with a rejection letter. After winning our appeal, our application has now been processing for a total of 21 months.

Your life is in their hands and this sense of limbo for months can be infuriating! I guess just try to look at the positives, like you can at least visit each other with relative ease. It certainly can put a strain on the relationship, but if you really love each other, you can pull through. Really, what's a few extra months of your entire life to wait for your spouse?

Soleil2020

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
harryiswaiting said:
Sometimes dealing with CIC just makes you want to pull your hair out! It can be incredibly frustrating, so in my rather now long experience with them, we've come to realise not to expect anything when it comes to dates. Actually, don't expect anything from them, full stop. They held my husband's passport for nearly 6 months, only to have it shoved back in his face with a rejection letter. After winning our appeal, our application has now been processing for a total of 21 months.

Your life is in their hands and this sense of limbo for months can be infuriating! I guess just try to look at the positives, like you can at least visit each other with relative ease. It certainly can put a strain on the relationship, but if you really love each other, you can pull through. Really, what's a few extra months of your entire life to wait for your spouse?
Wow...that is so terrible that you guys are still waiting like that. That really doesn't make me feel very hopeful for our case either.
The honest truth is we love each other, yes..very much. But if we had known it was going to be this complicated to be together, we might have thought twice about getting involved with each other in the first place. All this coming and going and being a visitor in my own husband's home is just too much sometimes. This is not what we got married for. We are not in our 20's ( both of us are in our 50's) anymore and this kind of lifestyle can get to be taxing physically as well as emotionally. ( I don't have to tell you. It seems like you completely understand.)

We want to settle down in "our" home and live our life together. That's the thing, we never know how much time we have left on this planet. We never know if on the day after I finally get to call my husbands home mine too, something terrible could happen to one of us. We never know.

This is just so devastating ..like I initially stated. :-(

Anyway, I do hope for you guys that your husband can land soon. I really do.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I thought I would just jump in on the subject really quick and add a couple things.

While I can not give you an answer as to how long this process will take you to finish, or how long Ottawa will continue to drag their feet (I am hoping for your well being it is quick though), I can tell you this.

If you don't 'NEED' to stay in N.H. for work purposes or some such, there is NOTHING stopping you from going to 'visit' with your husband and remaining there with him until such a time that your COPR is delivered to you. You can always notify CIC Ottawa that you are staying with your husband and give them your Candian address to have your COPR mailed to you there instead of your US address. Unless it is work related and you must remain in the states for that, there is no reason why you can not go and stay with your husband. It doesn't matter that your application is outland, and you could've been with him this entire time.

Good luck!

Edgehead78

Dec 11, 2013
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2014
AOR Received.
01-03-2014
File Transfer...
04-03-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
20-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 15-12-2014 Visa 23-12-2014
LANDED..........
07-01-2015
Alurra71 said:
I thought I would just jump in on the subject really quick and add a couple things.

While I can not give you an answer as to how long this process will take you to finish, or how long Ottawa will continue to drag their feet (I am hoping for your well being it is quick though), I can tell you this.

If you don't 'NEED' to stay in N.H. for work purposes or some such, there is NOTHING stopping you from going to 'visit' with your husband and remaining there with him until such a time that your COPR is delivered to you. You can always notify CIC Ottawa that you are staying with your husband and give them your Candian address to have your COPR mailed to you there instead of your US address. Unless it is work related and you must remain in the states for that, there is no reason why you can not go and stay with your husband. It doesn't matter that your application is outland, and you could've been with him this entire time.

Good luck!
I think she said in her first posts that she needs to work. She cannot work here as a visitor.

Wyz

Star Member
Mar 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
Nov 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 2012, tfr to ISL May 2013
Med's Request
July 2014
Med's Done....
July 2014
Soleil2020 said:

I already know I'll have to wait. Which is why I am devastated that there is no answer as to even roughly what that wait is. If we had an idea, maybe things would be more tolerable. The thought of making the painful decision to once and for all basically give up on the wait while visiting my husband for months at a time and go back to the States to work ( thus, obviously leaving my husband ) just to maintain some sense of purpose for myself is just too terrible to really consider at this moment. But it IS a question we are going to have to face very soon, I'm afraid.
Languishing in an indefinite limbo...try a waiting period of 32 months while in your 20th month being pregnant and not being able to visit your spouse and vice versa and spouse not even able to make it for the birth of your first child because of the horrible trv approval rate. Oh and did I mention the file having gathered dust at CPP Ottawa for 18 months and all original degrees and marriage certificate sitting in Ottawa for no apparent reason...just a look at something beyond an indefinite limbo. Sorry but when people complain about their situation after 1 year it just seems absolutely ridiculous to me...have some patience, many people have it way worse than you and I'm sure many people have it way worse than me.

MofC2014

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Wyz said:
Languishing in an indefinite limbo...try a waiting period of 32 months while in your 20th month being pregnant and not being able to visit your spouse and vice versa and spouse not even able to make it for the birth of your first child because of the horrible trv approval rate. Oh and did I mention the file having gathered dust at CPP Ottawa for 18 months and all original degrees and marriage certificate sitting in Ottawa for no apparent reason...just a look at something beyond an indefinite limbo. Sorry but when people complain about their situation after 1 year it just seems absolutely ridiculous to me...have some patience, many people have it way worse than you and I'm sure many people have it way worse than me.
I tend to agree with Wyz.

Many from visa exempt countries should be thankful for having the ability to visit freely, and especially those living in US where you can come to Canada even for a weekend for less than $200. Many of us have spouses far away, 15-20 hr flights, and many months of waiting without the ability to see each other often. Even with 4 or 5 weeks vacation annually, many companies will not allow taking consecutive 2 weeks of vacation.

Graihn

Jul 15, 2013
Kitchener-Waterloo
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 22 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 22 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 1 2014
LANDED..........
Dec 12 2014
MofC2014 said:
I tend to agree with Wyz.

Many from visa exempt countries should be thankful for having the ability to visit freely, and especially those living in US where you can come to Canada even for a weekend for less than $200. Many of us have spouses far away, 15-20 hr flights, and many months of waiting without the ability to see each other often. Even with 4 or 5 weeks vacation annually, many companies will not allow taking consecutive 2 weeks of vacation.
It's all relative of what a long wait is. Allow people to complain about their wait. It is still a wait they don't want to endure.