+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Deck officers, water transport (NOC 2273)

Jun 2, 2017
Category........
If you have BSc degree, you first get it evaluated from WES for your Educational Credential Assessment.
Meanwhile, you can also start to prepare for your IELTS.

A ECA of Bachelor;s equivalence and a good IELTS score will fetch you qualifying CRS points.
Thanks mate
M onboard ship presently nd preparing for ielts , aftr getting off here will go fr assessment
U got ur invitation for express entry??

VickyL

Jul 3, 2017
Hi guys. I can say iam lucky to find this thread. Lot of helpful insights for people from the shipping fraternity trying to immigrate to Canada.
Well, I have done Master. CoC from MPA, Singapore. Looks like that will not help in getting any points. However, I also did a 1 year taught Masters degree (albeit in a different field) from UK last year, which is equivalent to a Masters degree in Canada as per WES. Will that Masters from UK count towards my CRS if I dint have a previous bachelors degree. I got into the Masters programme purely based on experience and my CoC.

Last edited:

VickyL

Jul 3, 2017
All the very best to you.

Yes, I have received ITA.
Hi DC.CA
Can you enlighten me on the work experience letters you got from your company. How have you calculated the time for the contacts. It's really confusing. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

DC.CA

Apr 11, 2016
Hi guys. I can say iam lucky to find this thread. Lot of helpful insights for people from the shipping fraternity trying to immigrate to Canada.
Well, I have done Master. CoC from MPA, Singapore. Looks like that will not help in getting any points. However, I also did a 1 year taught Masters degree (albeit in a different field) from UK last year, which is equivalent to a Masters degree in Canada as per WES. Will that Masters from UK count towards my CRS if I dint have a previous bachelors degree. I got into the Masters programme purely based on experience and my CoC.
Hello VickyL,

Yes, you are.
I faced the same hurdle to not able to find a seafarer applying to migrate to Canada, as a principal applicant.

Yes, CoC is not going to help in claiming points.
Only the academic qualifications, backed by ECA, can be claimed for the points under education.

Is ECA of your Master degree, you are referring to, been completed?
If yes, then, of course, you can claim points for that. It is going to help you big time in building a good qualifying CRS score.
even If you do not have a bachelor's degree, it is fine, as long as you have a master degree (with ECA).

All the best for your application.

(Hit 'like' if you find the information useful.)

DC.CA

Apr 11, 2016
Hi DC.CA
Can you enlighten me on the work experience letters you got from your company. How have you calculated the time for the contacts. It's really confusing. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Let's say if you were working for an 'X' company on a contractual basis for many sea-going contracts
Make an endeavour to get an experience letter from the commencement of your first contract until the end of your last contract.

Do not show any gaps. If you do show gaps between each contract of employment, you are most likely to land in trouble for not able to accumulate 1-year of continuous work-experience.

VickyL

Jul 3, 2017
Let's say if you were working for an 'X' company on a contractual basis for many sea-going contracts
Make an endeavour to get an experience letter from the commencement of your first contract until the end of your last contract.

Do not show any gaps. If you do show gaps between each contract of employment, you are most likely to land in trouble for not able to accumulate 1-year of continuous work-experience.

Oh ok. But will that be accepted as continuous employment as the CDC would show otherwise. Can you please share a copy (without your personal details ofcourse) of an example experience letter. Do we still need to mention the ships we sailed on, in that letter. It would be difficult getting such a letter from the company but I can try.

Reactions: Aaron Izyan

mariner11

Jun 30, 2017

Hi DC.CA kindly share the letter . I am also working in M.Navy as Electrical Engineer and looking at express entry. Also did you used any agent or completed the Profile yourself ? Also started a conversation with you here in Forum.

Last edited:

gsohi2011

May 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-08-2017
AOR Received.
30-08-2017
File Transfer...
27-10-2017
Passport Req..
28-12-2017
LANDED..........
01-04-2018
Hi DC. CA,kindly share your experience letter. I have received ITA and I want to refer your letter

DC.CA

Apr 11, 2016
Oh ok. But will that be accepted as continuous employment as the CDC would show otherwise. Can you please share a copy (without your personal details ofcourse) of an example experience letter. Do we still need to mention the ships we sailed on, in that letter. It would be difficult getting such a letter from the company but I can try.
Hi VickyL,

There is a way of showing our experience so that it is deemed to be continuous.
And by this, I also mean that showing/producing Seaman's Book / CDC (to substantiate your experience) to visa officer can actually ruin your application for the FSW programme.

For sample experience letter that you are asking - I am sorry, I am only providing to those who are enrolling with me for their PR application.

DC.CA

Apr 11, 2016
Hi DC.CA kindly share the letter . I am also working in M.Navy as Electrical Engineer and looking at express entry. Also did you used any agent or completed the Profile yourself ? Also started a conversation with you here in Forum.
Hi Mariner11,

It is a pleasure to see guys from Merchant Navy fraternity applying for Canadian Immigration. I welcome you in your endeavour.

Well, to be honest - If you are willing, you can do the process on your own.

But the catch is -
A) our profession is quite different; therefore the presentation of our case has to be done in a specific manner, otherwise our PR application might be refused.
B) Moreover, the efforts (time & energy) put in by an individual (like you and others) to learn the entire process & do the documentation become a tedious process in the middle (it does look simple till we receive ITA, but later when you are in the sensitive stage, then you realize that it could have been a judicious thing to take some expert help).
C) Although, try NOT to hire some normal consultants, even refrain from the big names in the market. They do not have much of clue for jobs like ours. Some will just say 'no' that they can't take your application, others will just brag that we have handled cases of Merchant Navy professionals. I suggest - do not trust blindly, it is very rare to find a consultant who has successfully handled such cases.

To sum up - you can most certainly do the application yourself & successfully obtain the PR of Canada. It is just a matter of choice whether you want to invest 8-10 months of your dedicated time & energy in finding/collecting rules, documents & other stuff etc --OR-- look for an expert in this immigration field (esp. who deal with Merchant Navy cases) suiting your budget.

You can be in Canada soon, just stay focused & resilient in your efforts.

Cheers.

DC.CA

Apr 11, 2016
Hi DC. CA,kindly share your experience letter. I have received ITA and I want to refer your letter
Hi gsohi2011,

I congratulate you on receiving an ITA. Bravo !!
It is the first biggest turn in any one's pathway to Canada.

You must be aware, however, would like to re-emphasize that there is a lot of running (in collecting documents etc.) in 90-days time frame post-ITA. Because it looks simple to collect the documents than really are.

Regarding sample experience letter, you may refer CV forum or google. However if you'are looking for the one specific to our profession, you may read one of my earlier reply today (2 posts above).

Wishes on your speedy e-APR completion.

All the best !

VickyL

Jul 3, 2017
Hi VickyL,

There is a way of showing our experience so that it is deemed to be continuous.
And by this, I also mean that showing/producing Seaman's Book / CDC (to substantiate your experience) to visa officer can actually ruin your application for the FSW programme.

For sample experience letter that you are asking - I am sorry, I am only providing to those who are enrolling with me for their PR application.

Thank you for your reply DC. Let me know how to get in touch with you to enroll for the PR process. I am currently sailing and will be signing off soon to start the process.
Kind regards,
VickyL

naren.ratnu

Jun 26, 2016
I need your help please. I am also a ship officer . Got student visa refusal so now wants to apply for PR. Can anybody please reply. DC.CA please amy suggestions ..