+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Deck officers, water transport (NOC 2273)

DC.CA

Apr 11, 2016
Dear Guys,

I am a Seafarer, Deck Officer (NOC 2273 - B - Ship Officer, Water Transport) and have a few queries with respect to my EE profile, as mentioned below -

Firstly, the nature of my job is quite different, it -

1. requires me to work 84 hours per week, for 2/3 months at a stretch -then- 2/3 months complete leave.
2. is mostly contractual type, 2/3 months contract and then sign a new contract to join a ship.
3. is such that I have worked with many employers/shipowners (more than 12 in last 7 years).
4. have travelled worldwide to 38 countries multiple times via ship.

Now, In the EE profile, what do I regarding -

A) filling in the 'hours of work' column (I am confused between 84 hours or 42 hours, due to my odd job-timings as written above)

B) work experience letter - I was contractually employed by 12 ship-owners/employers in last 7 years. And getting 12 work-experience letters for actual ship-owners would be extremely tedious. Should It judicious to request just one of the recruiting HR/crewing agency to give me a letter for all the work-years in Merchant Navy?

C) proof of funds - in all yesteryears, my salaries have been credited into my bank account by all those different ship-owners (their names are mentioned as well in bank statement entries' narration). And if I show a crewing agency as my employer for all previous years, and whereas my salary had been as deposited by various other parties at the different time. to add further, even the salary slips are issued by the ship-owners, not the crewing agency. Could it be a cause of concern/rejection while showing proof of funds?

D) police clearance certificate - In my passport(s), apart from usual arrival/departure entries from airports around the world, I have had some (3-three +) temporary working visas from Malaysia (of 3 months each) to work in the offshore Malaysian oil fields aboard ships. Malaysian authorities will not issue me a PCC, as I have not stayed in Malaysia (on the land). I was in fact only at sea, away from the land & territorial waters. Could I be required to produce PCC from Malaysia by the Canadian visa officer?

It would be a great help to me, if you guys please reply.

Regards,
DeeCee.

can_indian

Apr 4, 2017
India
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
2175 / 6311
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
20-06-2017
DC.CA said:
Dear Guys,

I am a Seafarer, Deck Officer (NOC 2273 - B - Ship Officer, Water Transport) and have a few queries with respect to my EE profile, as mentioned below -

1. requires me to work 84 hours per week, for 2/3 months at a stretch -then- 2/3 months complete leave.
2. is mostly contractual type, 2/3 months contract and then sign a new contract to join a ship.
3. is such that I have worked with many employers/shipowners (more than 12 in last 7 years).

A) filling in the 'hours of work' column (I am confused between 84 hours or 42 hours, due to my odd job-timings as written above)

B) work experience letter - I was contractually employed by 12 ship-owners/employers in last 7 years. And getting 12 work-experience letters for actual ship-owners would be extremely tedious. Should It judicious to request just one of the recruiting HR/crewing agency to give me a letter for all the work-years in Merchant Navy?

C) proof of funds - in all yesteryears, my salaries have been credited into my bank account by all those different ship-owners (their names are mentioned as well in bank statement entries' narration). And if I show a crewing agency as my employer for all previous years, and whereas my salary had been as deposited by various other parties at the different time. to add further, even the salary slips are issued by the ship-owners, not the crewing agency. Could it be a cause of concern/rejection while showing proof of funds?

D) police clearance certificate - In my passport(s), apart from usual arrival/departure entries from airports around the world, I have had some (3-three +) temporary working visas from Malaysia (of 3 months each) to work in the offshore Malaysian oil fields aboard ships. Malaysian authorities will not issue me a PCC, as I have not stayed in Malaysia (on the land). I was in fact only at sea, away from the land & territorial waters. Could I be required to produce PCC from Malaysia by the Canadian visa officer?

It would be a great help to me, if you guys please reply
Regards,
DeeCee.
First step would be to get the work experience letter from all of those 12 employers or if your crewing agency is willing you to write an experience letter for all those 12 employers, you will be fine too. For job experience letter format check out below thread. Mention each duration of all your work experience separately with working hours, full time, pay etc.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/format-for-work-experience-certificate-t487387.0.html

As per cic, for fsw applicants you must have at least 1 year of continuous work experience as well as you have to take examination to show your skills in English/French.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

Lets say you are eligible and fulfill the minimum requirement of FSW.
Now I will try to answer your questions as per my knowledge/understanding.

A) Fill out all the work experiences separately with their individual information as per your work experience letter in Express entry profile.
b) Yes, your recruiting HR/crewing agency letter is fine.
c) POF - need a bank letter showing you have at least minimum required fund or more in your accounts and average balance of last 6 month + last 6 months of bank statement. If your average balance of last 6 month and current accounts balance is equal to/higher than minimum funds requirement, you do not need explanation about funds.
d) PCC - You must provide pcc from all the countries where you have lived 6 months or longer in last 10 years, Now lets say if some country is not providing you such letter, you asked them to provide you anyway and get the documents whatever they say. so that when you attach PCCs of the countries, you can also attach official documents about you requesting pcc and their denial letter.

When you submit application for PR after you get an ITA, you will have a place to upload LOE if needed.
In that LOE, you can explain your situations about employment history, PCC etc. whatever explanation you have to make.

Being truthful to cic, will give you fair chance/assessment to you application.

DC.CA

Apr 11, 2016
can_indian said:
First step would be to get the work experience letter from all of those 12 employers or if your crewing agency is willing you to write an experience letter for all those 12 employers, you will be fine too. For job experience letter format check out below thread. Mention each duration of all your work experience separately with working hours, full time, pay etc.
/canada-immigration-discussion-board/format-for-work-experience-certificate-t487387.0

As per cic, for fsw applicants you must have at least 1 year of continuous work experience as well as you have to take examination to show your skills in English/French.
/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who

Lets say you are eligible and fulfill the minimum requirement of FSW.
Now I will try to answer your questions as per my knowledge/understanding.

A) Fill out all the work experiences separately with their individual information as per your work experience letter in Express entry profile.
b) Yes, your recruiting HR/crewing agency letter is fine.
c) POF - need a bank letter showing you have at least minimum required fund or more in your accounts and average balance of last 6 month + last 6 months of bank statement. If your average balance of last 6 month and current accounts balance is equal to/higher than minimum funds requirement, you do not need explanation about funds.
d) PCC - You must provide pcc from all the countries where you have lived 6 months or longer in last 10 years, Now lets say if some country is not providing you such letter, you asked them to provide you anyway and get the documents whatever they say. so that when you attach PCCs of the countries, you can also attach official documents about you requesting pcc and their denial letter.

When you submit application for PR after you get an ITA, you will have a place to upload LOE if needed.
In that LOE, you can explain your situations about employment history, PCC etc. whatever explanation you have to make.

Being truthful to cic, will give you fair chance/assessment to you application.
Hi can_indian,

Oh, it is comforting to hear all the reply. Thanks a lot for the kind & elaborated one, I am also applying from India.

Yea, I am done with IELTS (CLB9+ in all modules), ECA from WES, 6 years of foreign work experience, enough liquidity in Bank Accounts & CRS score is 432.
Presently I am the phase of submitting my EE profile, therefore these doubts rose.

E) Due to my job (3 months continuous work, 84 hours per week - 3 months off), In work experience letter - what do I ask my crewing-agency to write me as full-time or part-time employee, of course, they would be apprehensive of writing 'full-time'. Actual term would be to write 'contractual employee', will this fall under part-time?... or what do you suggest?

Regards.

Reactions: Aaron Izyan

DC.CA

Apr 11, 2016
DC.CA said:
Hi can_indian,

Oh, it is comforting to hear all the reply. Thanks a lot for the kind & elaborated one, I am also applying from India.

Yea, I am done with IELTS (CLB9+ in all modules), ECA from WES, 6 years of foreign work experience, enough liquidity in Bank Accounts & CRS score is 432.
Presently I am the phase of submitting my EE profile, therefore these doubts rose.

E) Due to my job (3 months continuous work, 84 hours per week - 3 months off), In work experience letter - what do I ask my crewing-agency to write me as full-time or part-time employee, of course, they would be apprehensive of writing 'full-time'. Actual term would be to write 'contractual employee', will this fall under part-time?... or what do you suggest?

Regards.
F) Could you please also shed some light on the following - While filling EE profile, there is a column which asks- 'How many Canadian dollars are you going to bring with you in Canada', so should I actually put that amount only, which I will carry with me to Canada or Should I put the maximum liquidity I have (which is quite higher that required), just to make profile look better?

can_indian

Apr 4, 2017
India
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
2175 / 6311
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
20-06-2017
Hi can_indian,

Yea, I am done with IELTS (CLB9+ in all modules), ECA from WES, 6 years of foreign work experience, enough liquidity in Bank Accounts & CRS score is 432. That's really good score nowadays, you will probably get an ITA soon.
Presently I am the phase of submitting my EE profile, therefore these doubts rose. I recommend you get the experience letter first before submitting your EE, that way you can fill out forms properly because you do have distinctive work experience.

As per CIC,
Full Time
30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

Part time
15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
OR
30 hours/week for 12 months at more than one job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

Based on that, your 6 years of seasonal/ contractual work experience is equal to 3 years of full time work experience.
Having said that, I would like to point out that there have been some special cases where cic has calculated work experience differently and given more points. I strongly recommend you to create another thread on this forum about your work experience calculation, some forum users will be able to help/shed light on that.

you may request HR to write seasonal in your experience letter.

F) Could you please also shed some light on the following - While filling EE profile, there is a column which asks- 'How many Canadian dollars are you going to bring with you in Canada', so should I actually put that amount only, which I will carry with me to Canada or Should I put the maximum liquidity I have (which is quite higher that required), just to make profile look better?

For Fund requirements, check out below thread.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

Since you have more than enough, it is your choice how much you want to write there as long as it is more than minimum requirement.

For example : you are married and have one kid than minimum fund requirement for you would be CAD$ 18,617. You can write down round up amount say CAD$ 19,000.

Reactions: Simkash

DC.CA

Apr 11, 2016
Guys, in the paragraph of reference letter below -
do you think is it okay, or SHOULD I need to erase the last two lines (underlined to draw your attention)?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
His work and remuneration details are as below -
Hours of working : 84 hours/week, while onboard
Last annual salary : USD 40,000 (inclusive of all benefits and allowances)

In a year, he works onboard ships for more than 6 months cumulatively on rotational basis, which amounts to minimum 2184 work-hours per year. He gets paid for sea-service days only.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and then below, CIC website says this with regard to calculation of work experience -

Calculating work experience for FSW

Work experience can be calculated by:

adding up the number of continuous weeks of full-time (or equivalent in part-time) paid work (i.e., 30 hours/37.5 hours per week in one full-time job, a combined total of at least 30 hours/37.5 hours per week in more than one part-time job,
15 hours per week in one part-time job over a period of two years, etc) in one or more skilled occupations at Skill Type 0 (Managerial occupations), Skill Level A (Professional occupations) or B (Technical occupations and skilled trades) of NOC 2011.
Note: Work in excess of 30 hours/37.5 hours of paid work over a period of one week cannot compensate for less than one year of full-time work experience.

This highlighted text above (saying note:) in CIC regulations confuses me. Because I am actually working on rotation (few months on, few months off)...
That means, I will never get one full year of full-time work experience, is my understanding correct?......
It leaves me with the same question, should I write 84 hours or 42 hours per week....and.... should I mention, that I work on rotational basis & gets paid for sea-service days only.....
Very Confused & stressed, kindly enlighten.

DC.CA said:
Dear Guys,

It would be a great help to me, if you guys please reply.

Regards,
DeeCee.

Jun 2, 2017
Category........
I am working on ships as 3rd mate ,want to apply for express entry pr visa , where to start from? Can anybody from merchant navy help me?

gorukh

May 30, 2017
Hi can_indian,

Regards.
Hi DC.CA

I am also a seafarer. still getting familiar with EE system.Did you submit your profile?

1)can you tell me which all the document you sent to WES ? Did you sent your COC to WES also?
2)Are we getting any points for COC?
3)Did you found the answer to question E mention by you?

Regards

DC.CA

Apr 11, 2016
Hi DC.CA

I am also a seafarer. still getting familiar with EE system.Did you submit your profile?

1)can you tell me which all the document you sent to WES ? Did you sent your COC to WES also?
2)Are we getting any points for COC?
3)Did you found the answer to question E mention by you?

Regards
Hi Gourkh,

You will not get any credit for COC, it is an Competency Certificate not a Educational Qualification.

WES assess only your education.

and also let me know, if you have any degree under your belt.

All the best.

gorukh

May 30, 2017
Hi DC.CA

Thanks for the prompt reply.Too bad.we can't get any point for COC.

I have a mechanical engineering degree and 1year pre-sea training course (G.M.E). Can i count it as pg diploma?

Secondly, how is our work experience calculated? I have 4 contracts of six month (1 each year). Will it gonna be 2 years or 4?

Is seaman book also required for work experience or company letter should be enough?

Regards.

Last edited:

DC.CA

Apr 11, 2016
Hi DC.CA

Thanks for the prompt reply.Too bad.we can't get any point for COC.

I have a mechanical engineering degree and 1year pre-sea training course (G.M.E). Can i count it as pg diploma?

Secondly, how is our work experience calculated? I have 4 contracts of six month (1 each year). Will it gonna be 2 years or 4?

Is seaman book also required for work experience or company letter should be enough?

Regards.
You are good to go, Gorukh.

BEng will fetch you 4 Year Degree equivalency. GME might get you a PG diploma.

Regarding counting of work experience - you got to have full-time permanent employment not the contractual one.

You can attach seaman book if you want, otherwise a legitimate experience letter is just enough. note - attaching the salary slips is however recommended not mandatory though.