+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal Inadmissability question

Aug 14, 2017
Question regarding police checks:

I had posted awhile back about my spouse (inland - spousal sponsorship) having a minor conviction on his record stemming from one bad night in 2014 when his wallet was stolen and he was unable to pay for a bar tab - which is a summary offense here in Canada.

We are getting ready to send in our application package, and in doing all the paperwork, we realized that that one night actually had 2 charges - one for the bar tab, and one for the taxi fare. I looked up the equivalent charge here in Canada and it is also a summary offense.

Both of the unpaid things together came to less than $200 ($91 dollars at the bar, and $100 for the taxi).

Since both the charges were from one event, I'm wondering if that counts as multiple convictions on the police check and results in him being inadmissible?

Any insight?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Not sure any of us here will be able to tell you for certain. Just make sure you declare both separately in the PR application.

Aug 14, 2017
Not sure any of us here will be able to tell you for certain. Just make sure you declare both separately in the PR application.
Yes, I've addressed it explaining the entire situation in the cover letter, and it is also mentioned on the application itself. Also, as per some advice we received we will be including print-outs of the laws as they are in North Carolina, and the Canadian Equivalents so that the case manager can see right away what exactly the charges are and don't think that they are indictable offenses.

Reactions: Cherry Kola

waiting10yrs

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
Yes, I've addressed it explaining the entire situation in the cover letter, and it is also mentioned on the application itself. Also, as per some advice we received we will be including print-outs of the laws as they are in North Carolina, and the Canadian Equivalents so that the case manager can see right away what exactly the charges are and don't think that they are indictable offenses.
May I see a copy of your cover letter? My wife and I are having to do similar for me and having trouble.

Aug 14, 2017
I did find this on some immigration lawyer's site, so I'm hoping because they are both from one event that it's not going to be an issue. It's literally the only thing on his record - he's never even gotten a traffic ticket before, and had Top Secret clearance when he was in the Army.

• convictions outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would be: (1) punishable by a maximum jail term of at least ten years, (2) considered an indictable offence, (3) two summary offences (not arising out of a single occurrence)

So, it appears that since they arose from a single occurrence, it should not be an issue. Fingers crossed!

Aug 14, 2017
May I see a copy of your cover letter? My wife and I are having to do similar for me and having trouble.
My cover letter really wouldn't help you much since the details are all completely different. For the paragraph about his arrest, we just told exactly what happened that night, since the police checks are not going to provide any context to the event - just the charges.

But these were the two links that we used for reference in putting it together:

https://www.immigroup.com/news/spousal-sponsorship-letter-how-ace-it
http://immigrationcanada.pro/immigrate/7-essential-elements-in-a-sponsorship-cover-letter/

waiting10yrs

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
My cover letter really wouldn't help you much since the details are all completely different. For the paragraph about his arrest, we just told exactly what happened that night, since the police checks are not going to provide any context to the event - just the charges.

But these were the two links that we used for reference in putting it together:

https://www.immigroup.com/news/spousal-sponsorship-letter-how-ace-it
http://immigrationcanada.pro/immigrate/7-essential-elements-in-a-sponsorship-cover-letter/
How is the application working out for you?

Aug 14, 2017
How is the application working out for you?
We have our AOR, and have linked our online account to the application. We just finally received the FBI check back in the mail (it took approximately 6 months to process), so we will be uploading that to our online account this afternoon.

But, my further researches and speaking with some people "in the know", the fact that the issue was 2 non-violent misdemeanor charges that came from one event, and there has never been any other issues before or since, it should not be a problem.

So...fingers crossed! According to current time-lines we should be expecting his OWV to arrive around late June!

waiting10yrs

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
We have our AOR, and have linked our online account to the application. We just finally received the FBI check back in the mail (it took approximately 6 months to process), so we will be uploading that to our online account this afternoon.

But, my further researches and speaking with some people "in the know", the fact that the issue was 2 non-violent misdemeanor charges that came from one event, and there has never been any other issues before or since, it should not be a problem.

So...fingers crossed! According to current time-lines we should be expecting his OWV to arrive around late June!
Thats great to hear. Trying to do research of my own. I have a violent charge that was almost a 3rd degree assault misdemeanour charge but it was dismissed by the state since I claim self dense and plead not guilty. How do you think il fair?

Aug 14, 2017
Thats great to hear. Trying to do research of my own. I have a violent charge that was almost a 3rd degree assault misdemeanour charge but it was dismissed by the state since I claim self dense and plead not guilty. How do you think il fair?
No idea, really. If it was dismissed, then it shouldn't really be on your record? I think asking a lawyer would help clear things up.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
No idea, really. If it was dismissed, then it shouldn't really be on your record? I think asking a lawyer would help clear things up.
All charges, even dismissed charges, cause complications and delays with the PR app.

Reactions: Cherry Kola

Michyy

Star Member
Oct 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
06-02-2018
Doc's Request.
23-03-2018
AOR Received.
04-03-2018
Med's Request
02-08-2018
Med's Done....
13-08-2018
LANDED..........
15-03-2019
Sometimes dismissed records show up on the FBI records as they are not obligated to erase them. However it should show dismissed. That was the case for my husband.

innag

May 15, 2018
Sometimes dismissed records show up on the FBI records as they are not obligated to erase them. However it should show dismissed. That was the case for my husband.
So if FBI police record is clear, can the charge be left out of the PR application?