AOR Received.
May 17, 2013
Med's Done....
April 8, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
November 26, 2013
Buffy- Thank you! Hoping my status changes to DM soon:)

sangela

Sep 16, 2013
Does anyone know about importing a car from the US to Canada? I know if you put it on the B4 form and come over as a PR (or settler), you would not be subject to any duties, with the exception of RIV fees and maybe air conditioning excise fees. But in terms of notifying the border ahead of time, what needs to be faxed over to them in terms of documentation? Also, how soon do we have to secure Canadian insurance for the car? Thanks!

NicAnn

Oct 9, 2012
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
March 24 2013
AOR Received.
April 17 2013
File Transfer...
April 22 2013
Med's Request
extended 1 yr
Med's Done....
Dec 15 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 10, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Jan 21, 2014
LANDED..........
Feb 2nd, 2014 EH! :-D
sangela said:
Does anyone know about importing a car from the US to Canada? I know if you put it on the B4 form and come over as a PR (or settler), you would not be subject to any duties, with the exception of RIV fees and maybe air conditioning excise fees. But in terms of notifying the border ahead of time, what needs to be faxed over to them in terms of documentation? Also, how soon do we have to secure Canadian insurance for the car? Thanks!
You have to have the headlights come on automatically when you start the vehicle (no being able to shut them off) and also need to get a printout that your vehicle was never on a recall list (from auto dealership)

More info here at this link:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles-importation-index-443.htm

Includes phone numbers to call for more information in case something isn't clear or you have a different circumstance than what they address.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
sangela said:
Note that you also must have it EXPORTED from the US and that has to be started 72 hours before you show up at the border (I've read plenty of posts about this over the years). So you bring the title and what-not to the US side and export the vehicle (again, with 72 hours advance notice). Then you enter the Canadian side and they send you to secondary.

swevirgo

Jan 29, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I am a PR of Canada. MY husband is a H1B holder in America. we got married in June 2012.
I applied for His spousal sponsorship in Ottawa during December end 2012.
CIC received my application in Jan 17th, 2013.
then the application was sent to LA office for processing.
After that they asked for Med twice, FBI clearance.
last med request came August 2013 and we submitted everything by November 2013.
the online status at present shows that 'Medical received'.
me and my husband are living separately in our own country since none of us can work in each other's country.
so we want to know how long it might take before he gets confirmation from CIC.
is there any of you who applied during the similar time?
What's your application status?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Florida Bear

Star Member
Jul 18, 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2013
AOR Received.
29-08-2013
File Transfer...
09-09-2013
Med's Done....
06-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2014
Just a question for some of the veteren members.

For fairly straight forward applications, has anyone noticed any trends on processing from the CIC? For instance, if they go a month at a time for requesting passports or if they request a block of months at one time?

From what I have seen it is a month at a time with the odd case here and there receiving expedited treatment. Just wondering what others may have noticed.

When I emailed CIC in early December they said that my August app. hasn't been reviewed yet and to give it another 2 - 3 months due to the holidays. Sigh..

sangela

Sep 16, 2013
Florida Bear said:
Just a question for some of the veteren members.

For fairly straight forward applications, has anyone noticed any trends on processing from the CIC? For instance, if they go a month at a time for requesting passports or if they request a block of months at one time?

From what I have seen it is a month at a time with the odd case here and there receiving expedited treatment. Just wondering what others may have noticed.

When I emailed CIC in early December they said that my August app. hasn't been reviewed yet and to give it another 2 - 3 months due to the holidays. Sigh..
Hi, like you, I'm an August applicant as well. I just wrote to CPP-O yesterday and got a reply this morning saying that they are currently working on the June going into July batch as we speak. They didn't give me a sense as to when the August batch will start though.... I would say at this rate, we should count ourselves lucky if the request for passport comes sometime in mid/late Feb. Good luck!

Florida Bear

Star Member
Jul 18, 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2013
AOR Received.
29-08-2013
File Transfer...
09-09-2013
Med's Done....
06-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2014
sangela said:
Hi, like you, I'm an August applicant as well. I just wrote to CPP-O yesterday and got a reply this morning saying that they are currently working on the June going into July batch as we speak. They didn't give me a sense as to when the August batch will start though.... I would say at this rate, we should count ourselves lucky if the request for passport comes sometime in mid/late Feb. Good luck!
Good to know and your info gives a little more hope that there are warm bodies up there working..lol Thanks for the update and best of luck to you as well. :) I have a scanned copy of my passport on my phone and work computer so the second we get the email requesting it I can reply with it in minutes. Not that it will probably make much difference, but for my own piece of mind. Also am paying my RPRF next week since I read it can take awhile to get that matched up to the file.

I'm just SOOO tired of waiting.. we do what we have to do but man, I ain't getting any younger.. lol

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sangela said:
(1) You pay the RIV fees, but don't have to pay air conditioning excise fees.

(2) You need to advise the US border post where you will export the vehicle ahead of time. As computergeek mentioned above, you need to do so 3 days prior. The specifics vary between border post (natural days vs. business days, whether they need to receive the original title from you via mail or whether you can e-mail them or fax them a copy, etc). Note that not all border posts export vehicles from the US and the vehicle export section may have limited hours when they are open to the public.

(3) You need to have uninterrupted coverage either from your current insurer or future insurer. They can ask for this at the Canadian border when you enter (there's a Canadian Non‐Resident Inter‐Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Cards you can get from your US insurer to prove your coverage). And will ask when you register your car in Canada.

This post I wrote a while back may help (e.g., it has the links to get the export info)
OhCanadiana said:
In a nutshell, you start by exporting the car from the US and then import the vehicle to Canada. Once you complete the export and import process, you register the vehicle and get your Canadian provincial plates and title.

More specifically, the process entails the following:

1) Confirm the car is eligible
Check the riv.ca website to confirm that your car is eligible for import and to see what modifications you may need to make (e.g., daytime running lights) to pass inspection once you are in Canada. You can make the modifications either in the US or upon arrival in Canada (i.e., you don't have to do them before crossing the border but do need them to pass inspection in Canada)

2) Prep for the move
- Contact the Ministry of Transportation for your province to understand what you'll need to register your car (e.g., driver's license, insurance, import documentation, etc) and get whatever you need lined up. For example, Ontario requires an Ontario driver's license to be able to register the car, so make sure you have everything you need with you to get it (e.g., for some states you may need a driver history). Ditto for Canadian car insurance.
- Get the recall clearance letter. Specifics here depend on the car manufacturer (e.g., Toyota provides the information on their website; Honda is similar but requires registration on their owner's website; some other brands require specific requests). Send the letter showing no outstanding recalls to the RIV (document is valid for 30 day) to support @ support.riv.ca so they pre-process it. Call them to confirm all's set before you leave the US so you can get anything else necessary before you leave.
- Confirm your US insurance will cover you in Canada and get a letter of experience to help you get Canadian insurance
- Lay foundation to get insurance in Canada (you'll need it to register your car)
- If you don't own the car (e.g., you have a lease or loan), get authorization to export the car from the lienholder
- Make sure you have your car title easily available

4) Export car from the US
You can only export the car at certain border posts in the US and at certain times. So, decide where you are crossing and then understand that specific border post's requirements. Border posts are usually looking to get the required information 3 (sometimes natural, sometimes business) days before you arrive at the border. Take a look at http://www.ucanimport.com/Border_Crossing_Info.aspx for a good list of border crossings, but then search for the specific info for the border post and their instructions on the CBP website directly. For example, for Buffalo, look at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ny/0901.xml and search "export a vehicle" to see an example of the instructions (other crossings sometimes need you to mail them the title so they receive it 3 business days prior so it's important to check for your specifics). You can search for other border crossings at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ . Find out the location of the export office online or when you call them (it's not necessarily easy to find when you are at the border).
On the day of the crossing, stop by the CBP export office before you cross the border into Canada so they stamp your title to clear it for export. That stamp will be verified both when you import the car into Canada and then when you register the car.

3) Import the car into Canada
After you cross the border, tell the officer you are importing the car. Show them the stamped title and they'll send you inside to complete the process. Fill out the document at the Canadian border post - one page with your name, address, etc and car info. You'll need to get Form 1. If your car is included on your B4 (either submitted that day or previously), your tax rate will be 0% but make sure you keep the receipt carefully ... you'll need it at the Ministry of Transportation. Include your e-mail on Form 1 so the RIV e-mail you Form 2 (faster than mailing it). CBSA will be faxing Form 1 to the RIV.

4) Pay the import fee to the RIV and get your Form 2 from the RIV
You'll need to pay $195.00 + GST/HST (or QST) either at riv.com or by calling the RIV at 1-888-848-8240 (Mon. to Fri.: 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight (EST), Sat. and Sun.: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST))
You'll need the red numbers from your Form 1 to do this step and they will then e-mail you Form 2 which you'll need to get the car inspected.

5) Get your car inspected for import inspection (at Canadian Tire) and, if necessary, provincial inspection
You'll need to get your car inspected to ensure it meets Canadian standards (remember the checklist you got at the beginning from riv.ca ... they'll check for those modifications so get them done before elsewhere or arrange to have them done at Canadian Tire). The cost is included in the import fee you paid to the RIV. Plan for an hour or hour and a half for the inspection.
Depending on the province, you may need a provincial inspection too. For expediency, you may want to have the provincial inspection done at Canadian Tire the same day. Just tell them when you make the appointment so they can schedule it in.
Canadian Tire will stamp Form 2, which you'll need at the Ministry of Transportation. Make sure they fax the form to the RIV so the system shows you passed the inspection.

6) Register your car and get plates at the Ministry of Transportation
The specifics vary by province

7) Cancel your US insurance and send your US plates back if your state requires them

8) Celebrate!!!

clearly

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
I realized that the spreadsheet isn't updated with our sponsorship approval. We had sponsorship approval on August 15th, 2013.

kroovy

Apr 18, 2013
Florida Bear said:
Good to know and your info gives a little more hope that there are warm bodies up there working..lol Thanks for the update and best of luck to you as well. :) I have a scanned copy of my passport on my phone and work computer so the second we get the email requesting it I can reply with it in minutes. Not that it will probably make much difference, but for my own piece of mind. Also am paying my RPRF next week since I read it can take awhile to get that matched up to the file.

I'm just SOOO tired of waiting.. we do what we have to do but man, I ain't getting any younger.. lol
When they ask for a scanned copy of your passport, do they only need the page with your information on it? Or a scan of all the pages?

NicAnn

Oct 9, 2012
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
March 24 2013
AOR Received.
April 17 2013
File Transfer...
April 22 2013
Med's Request
extended 1 yr
Med's Done....
Dec 15 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 10, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Jan 21, 2014
LANDED..........
Feb 2nd, 2014 EH! :-D
kroovy said:
When they ask for a scanned copy of your passport, do they only need the page with your information on it? Or a scan of all the pages?
We only had to send a copy of the photo/main info pages (first two pages) of my passport (US is visa exempt) but many from other countries have to send their actual passports in (as I understand it) and wait until it gets mailed back to them. I've heard that some people scan all the pages just to make sure there isn't an issue, but not sure if that's really necessary. We didn't (like I said, only the photo and main info pages) and it all went fine.

clearly

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
For anyone else that is visiting their spouse in Canada, are you filing taxes in Canada? I didn't make any income in Canada, but I did make income last year before I moved here.

Also, is your spouse claiming you on their taxes?

We're a bit confused about the tax situation..

chala

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
File Transfer...
25-04-2013
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2013 ext till 2015
Interview........
Aug 5-2014 passed
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2014
LANDED..........
Dec 8, 2014
clearly said:
For anyone else that is visiting their spouse in Canada, are you filing taxes in Canada? I didn't make any income in Canada, but I did make income last year before I moved here.

Also, is your spouse claiming you on their taxes?

We're a bit confused about the tax situation..
You would normally have to file a USA tax return for the year that you worked and lived in the USA.

If you are a visitor to Canada you are not permitted to work and consequently would not file a Canadian tax return.

Your spouse can claim you on his Canadian tax return if you are dependent on him and if you have income less than the basic exemption amount for dependant spouses. The amount claimed is prorated based on the number of married days in the taxation year.