+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CPP-Ottawa

DrJO

Apr 5, 2013
Hi All,
First I want to thank everybody for all their post and comments. I have been reading this forum throughout my entire application process. Please feel free to add my timeline to the spreadsheet.
Type: family class sponsorship - conjugal partners
Application filed: September 24th 2012
Sponsorship approved and file transferred to CPP-Ottawa: November 3rd 2012
Medicals done: September 4th 2012
Request for additional information (additional proof of relationship): March 8th 2013
Additional information faxed: March 11th 2013
Application approved: March 16th 2013

I send in a copy of my passport photo page and am now waiting on the finalization of my application.
I have two questions:
1. Will I receive any documents in the mail that I will need when landing?
2. I am planing on traveling to Canada on April 8th. If my application is not finalized by then I will just enter as visitor (I am from a visa exempt country). If my application will be finalized while I am in Canada how can I change from visitor to permanent resident status?

Thank you all so much.

crna80

Star Member
Apr 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2012
AOR Received.
12-07-2012
File Transfer...
17-7-2012
Med's Done....
17-05-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2013
LANDED..........
05-04-2013
Landed today. i wanted to share my experience as when I tried to search on the experience I found little info. Husband- Canadian Sponsor wife- USA applicant
We were importing a vehicle and a trailer and driving to cross and land at 1000 Islands bridge. At least a week before I mailed the original title of the vehicle, a copy of the bill of sale, a copy of the no recall letter(not requested in USA, but sent it anyway) and a letter saying what we were doing and about when we would arrive.
Today on our arrival to USA customs, we first went the border protection facility, told them we were exporting a vehicle. They needed the state of registration and the last six digits of the VIN, (that is how they file it). The officer came out, verified the license #. She had stamped it and sent us on our way. We next headed to Canada customs. Not really sure how to handle the kiosk, they asked where my husband lived, we had handed our passports. When he asked if we were leaving anything in Canada, we told him I was landing. I mentioned I had the B4 forms. He asked the regular questions firearms, alcohol, tobacco, gave us the yellow slip and sent us inside. We were sent to the immigration side, where the took my passport, my COPR, they asked for something with my Canadian address on it, just happened to have the envelope my COPR came in. She told me she was going to check it out and for us to have a seat. After reading so many on here having it take only 10-20 minutes, I strated to get worried when it was taking 30-40 minutes. finally she came out gave me my passport with the COPR in it, and sent me customs inspection. There we imported the vehicle, trailer. The officer did all the paperwork, told us to pay the fee for the vehicle online. That we would receive a form one in the mail, I inquired about email, he didn't know, he thought snail mail. I signed and dated those form. For the trailer he only copied the vehicle registration as there was no title. He told me that everything I brought with me, on my forms was tax and duty free. He never looked inside our truck or our vehicle. He stamped each B4 form I had. While I had made categories and lists for those categories and added them all together. and put each category total on the B4, I didn't total all the categories. I apologized and he added them up. i made two full copies of the paperwork. He kept one and gave me the other back. That part actually took less time than the first and he had all the paperwork to do. Anyway, total time at the border was about 1 hour. Every one was civil, but I never find them very friendly. It is also a busy crossing, so I wonder if smaller crossings are easier and little less formal. Anyway, after all my worry, glad its over. We did bring in a new unwrapped mattress, and a week old TV. We were a little worried about this but there were no issues. I hope this helps to lessen some of the worry when landing. Good luck to all and eveyone's future in Canada

Kelm

Jan 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
18-09-2012
Med's Done....
11-07-2012
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2013
LANDED..........
05-04-2013
We're landing twins, crna80!

I landed at the Lacolle/Champlain border today after flagpoling in Plattsburgh. We were later told by the first Canadian customs officer that they call it un tour du poteau en français. Landing was very straightforward. I'm very thankful I had everyone's stories on here to read through so I knew what to expect. The customs officer processing my B4 even gave me a little Canada flag magnet and said 'welcome to Canada'.

Good luck everyone!!

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Vancouver, BC/Pittsburgh, PA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
I updated the spreadsheet, congrats you two! =D

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
DrJO said:
Hi All,
First I want to thank everybody for all their post and comments. I have been reading this forum throughout my entire application process. Please feel free to add my timeline to the spreadsheet.
Type: family class sponsorship - conjugal partners
Application filed: September 24th 2012
Sponsorship approved and file transferred to CPP-Ottawa: November 3rd 2012
Medicals done: September 4th 2012
Request for additional information (additional proof of relationship): March 8th 2013
Additional information faxed: March 11th 2013
Application approved: March 16th 2013

I send in a copy of my passport photo page and am now waiting on the finalization of my application.
I have two questions:
1. Will I receive any documents in the mail that I will need when landing?
2. I am planing on traveling to Canada on April 8th. If my application is not finalized by then I will just enter as visitor (I am from a visa exempt country). If my application will be finalized while I am in Canada how can I change from visitor to permanent resident status?

Thank you all so much.
Hi there! I added you to the spreadsheet. If you have time (and I know this will totally by at the top of your to do list) can you get the date CIC got your application? Also, I added the additional info about documents requested. I kind of assumed since you put it on the thread, you didn't mind me including it on the spreadsheet. If that's not the case, just let me know.

1) Yes, you should receive your COPR by mail
2) You can flagpole to the border or request a landing at the local office. Depending on where you are, the local office can be backed up and take some time, but you might get lucky.

You probably won't get the CORP before you come to Canada. Make sure there is someone you can trust at the address to forward the COPR to you. If not, I would recommend using the USPS mail forwarding service to someone you trust, like a parent. Changing the address with CIC only seems to work some of the time, plus the USPS address change is cheap. It has to be in the US though (at least it did when I tried to use it).

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
crna80 said:
Landed today. i wanted to share my experience as when I tried to search on the experience I found little info. Husband- Canadian Sponsor wife- USA applicant
We were importing a vehicle and a trailer and driving to cross and land at 1000 Islands bridge. At least a week before I mailed the original title of the vehicle, a copy of the bill of sale, a copy of the no recall letter(not requested in USA, but sent it anyway) and a letter saying what we were doing and about when we would arrive.
Today on our arrival to USA customs, we first went the border protection facility, told them we were exporting a vehicle. They needed the state of registration and the last six digits of the VIN, (that is how they file it). The officer came out, verified the license #. She had stamped it and sent us on our way. We next headed to Canada customs. Not really sure how to handle the kiosk, they asked where my husband lived, we had handed our passports. When he asked if we were leaving anything in Canada, we told him I was landing. I mentioned I had the B4 forms. He asked the regular questions firearms, alcohol, tobacco, gave us the yellow slip and sent us inside. We were sent to the immigration side, where the took my passport, my COPR, they asked for something with my Canadian address on it, just happened to have the envelope my COPR came in. She told me she was going to check it out and for us to have a seat. After reading so many on here having it take only 10-20 minutes, I strated to get worried when it was taking 30-40 minutes. finally she came out gave me my passport with the COPR in it, and sent me customs inspection. There we imported the vehicle, trailer. The officer did all the paperwork, told us to pay the fee for the vehicle online. That we would receive a form one in the mail, I inquired about email, he didn't know, he thought snail mail. I signed and dated those form. For the trailer he only copied the vehicle registration as there was no title. He told me that everything I brought with me, on my forms was tax and duty free. He never looked inside our truck or our vehicle. He stamped each B4 form I had. While I had made categories and lists for those categories and added them all together. and put each category total on the B4, I didn't total all the categories. I apologized and he added them up. i made two full copies of the paperwork. He kept one and gave me the other back. That part actually took less time than the first and he had all the paperwork to do. Anyway, total time at the border was about 1 hour. Every one was civil, but I never find them very friendly. It is also a busy crossing, so I wonder if smaller crossings are easier and little less formal. Anyway, after all my worry, glad its over. We did bring in a new unwrapped mattress, and a week old TV. We were a little worried about this but there were no issues. I hope this helps to lessen some of the worry when landing. Good luck to all and eveyone's future in Canada
That form (after you pay), you go to RIV.ca and put in the info that you got from the border, if it's done, you just print it from that screen, take it to Canadian Tire and done. Make sure to have your daytime running lights on so you can't turn them off before you go to CDN tire though!!

I LOVE 1000 Islands Bridge. Sometimes you get the curtness, but much better than Prescott where they tend to be ignorant, arrogant and nosey.

Welcome to Canada!! :) Do you live near the Bridge? :)

Buffy2323

Dec 16, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
AOR Received.
01-03-2013
File Transfer...
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
31-01-2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
28-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 13-09-2013; Visa Received 21-10-2013
LANDED..........
26-10-2013
crna80 said:
Thanks for the update! It will be very helpful. I do have a couple questions though on Importing the car. You mentioned you mailed the title in beforehand? I don't have a title yet. I just bought my car (2013 Ford Fiesta) and plan to pay it off before I move so i have title. Where do we have to mail the title to? I guess i would like to know what the process is for porting a new vehicle.

Also, you mentioned needing to pay a fee. How much is the fee and what exactly is it for? I want to be prepared. No surprises, especially financially.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Congrats on landing. :)

crna80

Star Member
Apr 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2012
AOR Received.
12-07-2012
File Transfer...
17-7-2012
Med's Done....
17-05-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2013
LANDED..........
05-04-2013
Buffy2323 said:
Thanks for the update! It will be very helpful. I do have a couple questions though on Importing the car. You mentioned you mailed the title in beforehand? I don't have a title yet. I just bought my car (2013 Ford Fiesta) and plan to pay it off before I move so i have title. Where do we have to mail the title to? I guess i would like to know what the process is for porting a new vehicle.

Also, you mentioned needing to pay a fee. How much is the fee and what exactly is it for? I want to be prepared. No surprises, especially financially.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Congrats on landing. :)
Where you send it depends on where you plan on crossing the border. We crossed at Alexandria Bay NY. We called to make sure we sent everything and they gave us the address. Don't have it at hand but if you need I can get it for you. I guess there a specific crossings that do export/import of vehicles, so be sure you plan to cross at one. There is a website to check, Parker24 chime in. US export told us to send the ORIGINAL title and a copy of the bill of sale. They need it at least 72 hours ahead of time. They only need to check if the VINs match, no fees in the US. To Canada customs, told us everything we imported today was duty and tax free. There is a $200 something fee you pay, not sure what for, but at least not duty or tax. As Parker 24 mentioned to go to RIV.ca site and pay it online. Canada customs is the one that wants a letter stating no recalls. We were able to get one online from Nissan. And I guess Toyota does it as well. After customs, then there is the expense of passing a safety inspection, the car must have daytime running lights and not sure what else. On the first page of the US Outland's thread there is some good info on importing vehicles as well. Hope that helps.

Buffy2323

Dec 16, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
AOR Received.
01-03-2013
File Transfer...
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
31-01-2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
28-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
26-10-2013
crna80 said:
Where you send it depends on where you plan on crossing the border. We crossed at Alexandria Bay NY. We called to make sure we sent everything and they gave us the address. Don't have it at hand but if you need I can get it for you. I guess there a specific crossings that do export/import of vehicles, so be sure you plan to cross at one. There is a website to check, Parker24 chime in. US export told us to send the ORIGINAL title and a copy of the bill of sale. They need it at least 72 hours ahead of time. They only need to check if the VINs match, no fees in the US. To Canada customs, told us everything we imported today was duty and tax free. There is a $200 something fee you pay, not sure what for, but at least not duty or tax. As Parker 24 mentioned to go to RIV.ca site and pay it online. Canada customs is the one that wants a letter stating no recalls. We were able to get one online from Nissan. And I guess Toyota does it as well. After customs, then there is the expense of passing a safety inspection, the car must have daytime running lights and not sure what else. On the first page of the US Outland's thread there is some good info on importing vehicles as well. Hope that helps.
Thanks! That does help. I did print info. off the RIV.ca page when I bought my car. There was a list of things that I knew my new vehicle had to have to import it to Canada. I bought a Ford and their cars do not come standard equipped with daytime running lights so I had to make sure it could be done before I bought the vehicle. It turns out they just had to flip a switch somewhere inside the car and I now have DRL. :) I will be crossing at Peace Bridge more than likely and I believe it DOES export/import vehicles.

What is the Bill of Sale? I'm not sure I have that. I am currently financing my car through my credit union but plan to pay it off in July so I have title in hand but not sure where to get the bill of sale? Did they give you back the title once you landed? I'm a little nervous sending them the original.

I guess now all I have to do if figure out who to contact about recalls for my car. Although I am pretty sure there aren't any yet. It's a 2013 so it should be okay for awhile.

Thanks again for the info. :D

crna80

Star Member
Apr 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2012
AOR Received.
12-07-2012
File Transfer...
17-7-2012
Med's Done....
17-05-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2013
LANDED..........
05-04-2013
Buffy2323 said:
Thanks! That does help. I did print info. off the RIV.ca page when I bought my car. There was a list of things that I knew my new vehicle had to have to import it to Canada. I bought a Ford and their cars do not come standard equipped with daytime running lights so I had to make sure it could be done before I bought the vehicle. It turns out they just had to flip a switch somewhere inside the car and I now have DRL. :) I will be crossing at Peace Bridge more than likely and I believe it DOES export/import vehicles.

What is the Bill of Sale? I'm not sure I have that. I am currently financing my car through my credit union but plan to pay it off in July so I have title in hand but not sure where to get the bill of sale? Did they give you back the title once you landed? I'm a little nervous sending them the original.

I guess now all I have to do if figure out who to contact about recalls for my car. Although I am pretty sure there aren't any yet. It's a 2013 so it should be okay for awhile.

Thanks again for the info. :D
The bill of sale will be something you get from the dealer your when you purchase the care. Even though you are financing you should still have a bill of sale that you purchased the vehicle. You may also be able to get the letter of no recalls from the car dealer as well. Or go to the Ford website, that's where we got the Nissan one. Especially if it's new,they should be happy to help you. It also made me nervous sending the original title, I made sure to have a copy, and I sent it tracking so I knew it arrived. Florida has electronic titles so it s easy to get another, for money of course. I cannot for the life of me figure out why US car makers don't make Daytime running lights standard. It's a safety issue. Good luck

Buffy2323

Dec 16, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
AOR Received.
01-03-2013
File Transfer...
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
31-01-2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
28-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
26-10-2013
crna80 said:
The bill of sale will be something you get from the dealer your when you purchase the care. Even though you are financing you should still have a bill of sale that you purchased the vehicle. You may also be able to get the letter of no recalls from the car dealer as well. Or go to the Ford website, that's where we got the Nissan one. Especially if it's new,they should be happy to help you. It also made me nervous sending the original title, I made sure to have a copy, and I sent it tracking so I knew it arrived. Florida has electronic titles so it s easy to get another, for money of course. I cannot for the life of me figure out why US car makers don't make Daytime running lights standard. It's a safety issue. Good luck
Thanks!! I will be sure to send it with tracking as well. I didn't think about asking the dealership for the recall notice. I will be sure to copy this info. and put it in my file for when the time comes. The whole process is intimidating. Congrats again. :)

lunas

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/07/2012
AOR Received.
11/07/2012
Med's Done....
8/15/2012
Passport Req..
03/14/2013
LANDED..........
04/19/2013
Wow I'm glad to see good news here. I'm going back "home" today :'( but besides the fact I hate to say good bye at the airport, I'm feeling really crappy. I've been sick with the flu the whole week and I'm just recovering. Flying is not fun right now. I'm scared to see how much mail ill find in my mailbox at home. I hope the post office didn't return to sender all my mail :eek: I've been away 19 days so I'm hoping its still ok.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
crna80 said:
Daytime running lights was a standard a few years back but it is no longer a requirement, though many auto makers kept them.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
cempjwi said:
Daytime running lights was a standard a few years back but it is no longer a requirement, though many auto makers kept them.
It's a requirement by Canada's standards of imported cars.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
parker24 said:
It's a requirement by Canada's standards of imported cars.
I was refering to the US. Manufacturers were required to install DRL's in the past, but not anymore, although some makes/models still have them. Both our 2013 vehicles have them, but the light stick has a setting where you can turn them off (when running in the 'auto' setting the DRL's run during daylight and turn off themselves when the headlights come on). I guess we'll have to find a way to modify that.