+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law sponsorship?

mitten

May 21, 2013
Hello
Me and my partner got together in July 2012, we met travelling in Australia. I am English (21years old) and he is Canadian (26 years old). We lived in a tent together in a hostel we worked at for 8months in Australia. Then we moved to England for 2 months and stayed with my parents. We are now in Canada staying with his family. As we have never lived anywhere of our own, or had a lease on a house etc we are unsure whether are proof is going to be satisfactory as we were travelling.
We have lots of pictures all over the world and with each other's family but no phone/ email/ letters between each other our whole relationship because we have never owned a phone in that time and we have been together everyday, so we haven't needed to.
I have only got a 6 month visitor visa expiring in November so I am planning on flying home to apply for a 2 year working holiday visa so I can work whilst filing for citizenship.
Our plan is to apply in February 2014 (so we'd have been together 19months prior to submitting application) and we'd be applying OUTLAND but we will be renting a place in Canada and both working to show stable income(OUTLAND because it's faster/ we can appeal in necessary/ and travel)
Our questions are,
1) because we have been travelling for so long he would have worked for longer than 1 month prior to applying, will this be an issue?
2) If I leave the country in November for 2 months to apply for a 2 year working holiday visa prior to applying for citizenship should he come with me to the UK/ wherever else?
3) Can you apply for a working holiday visa then a month after apply for citizenship?
4) Will the issues of us not having any chat logs/ letters/ phone communication between each other be an issue? (We have messages to friends/ parents on facebook about each other though)

Thank you

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Just to clarify, you will be applying for PR, not citizenship.

mitten

May 21, 2013
zardoz said:
Just to clarify, you will be applying for PR, not citizenship.
PR I think is my only option, I can't apply for citizenship unless I have been in the country for 4 years or so living as a PR? Also, if I get PR, does that mean I'll permanently have a Canadian passport so me and my partner could live here but also travel around with no issues?

JennaJ86

Apr 25, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 11th, 2012
AOR Received.
Oct. 3rd, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct. 5th, 2012
Med's Done....
May 31st, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
May 5th, 2013
LANDED..........
June 14th, 2013
You won't get a Canadian passport with a PR. That only comes when you get citizenship. But with PR, you can travel outside the country with no problems. You just have to be sure to make the minimum time requirements for being in Canada, so be careful not to travel beyond that requirement.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mitten said:
PR I think is my only option, I can't apply for citizenship unless I have been in the country for 4 years or so living as a PR? Also, if I get PR, does that mean I'll permanently have a Canadian passport so me and my partner could live here but also travel around with no issues?
No - PR does not allow you to have a Canadian passport. You need Canadian citizenship to qualify for a Canadian passport.

As zardoz explained, you will be applying for permanent residency (you cannot apply for citizenship directly). Once you have PR, you will qualify to apply for citizenship once you've lived in Canada for 3 out of 4 years.

mitten

May 21, 2013
JennaJ86 said:
You won't get a Canadian passport with a PR. That only comes when you get citizenship. But with PR, you can travel outside the country with no problems. You just have to be sure to make the minimum time requirements for being in Canada, so be careful not to travel beyond that requirement.
Ok thanks. Do you feel that our application is adequate even though we're lacking a few bits of proof because we've been travelling? We will have another 6 months of proof between now and when we apply too.

maiandjames13

May 25, 2013
HELP NEEDED.

Hello, my common law partner will be eligible to sponsor me on September 1st 2013.
We have joint bank accounts, a lease showing our names, and a record of phone calls almost every single day we've been together.
He also added me as his beneficiary. We have lots of friends who are willing to write letters and swear on the validity of our relationship.
The problem is, I am on a student visa, but I cannot go to school right now because my parents have cut me off financially. My student visa expires in July 2014.
My common law partner is willing to support me during the wait, but I know it will drive me crazy.
More importantly, I don't have my birth certificate. My parents have it in Bahrain, and the only way to get another copy is to fly to Bahrain myself and give them my national identity card (which expires in July this year). I have my passport, which expires in 2015. The only problem is I don't have the funds to travel right now. I have enough saved for the application and medical exam and police certificate.
The other problem is that I don't have my parents' exact names on their passports. I'm pretty sure it needs to be the exact spelling on their passports.
I really don't want my application to be refused, I'm planning on applying inland because the processing time in the Abu Dhabi office is 22 months and I would have to go there for an interview if needed. (Seeing as I don't have a birth certificate, they probably will ask for one).
So the bottom line is, does anyone know if not having my parents' cooperation will hurt my application, if not being in school will hurt my application, and if not having my birth certificate or parents' exact names will hurt my application? And if so, what can I do that will prevent my application from being denied/delayed? Oh, and also, his parents are Christian reformed and do not approve of our relationship either. (Based on religious reasons) ::)

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!! :D

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
mitten said:
Me and my partner got together in July 2012, we met travelling in Australia. I am English (21years old) and he is Canadian (26 years old). We lived in a tent together in a hostel we worked at for 8months in Australia. Then we moved to England for 2 months and stayed with my parents. We are now in Canada staying with his family. As we have never lived anywhere of our own, or had a lease on a house etc we are unsure whether are proof is going to be satisfactory as we were travelling.
It might be enough. You have to prove you were living together for 12 months continuous. So get an affidavit or letter from the hostel manager stating you were living together there, then another affidavit from you parents stating the same, and another from his family. I would also try to get affidavits from others who knew you were living together stating that 1. you were living together for 12 months, and 2. that you have a genuine relationship. Roommates, professionals who know you both (such as doctors), etc. would be good for these.
We have lots of pictures all over the world and with each other's family but no phone/ email/ letters between each other our whole relationship because we have never owned a phone in that time and we have been together everyday, so we haven't needed to.
Photos are great, but are proof your relationship is genuine, not that you have lived together for 12 months. You need both. Just explain why you don't have phone bills, emails, and letters.
I have only got a 6 month visitor visa expiring in November so I am planning on flying home to apply for a 2 year working holiday visa so I can work whilst filing for citizenship.
You'll be applying for a PR visa, not citizenship yet.
1) because we have been travelling for so long he would have worked for longer than 1 month prior to applying, will this be an issue?
It is OK, as long as he seems employable, or in fact has a job when you apply.
2) If I leave the country in November for 2 months to apply for a 2 year working holiday visa prior to applying for citizenship should he come with me to the UK/ wherever else?
Two months might break the 12 months cohabitation necessary. Depends on the visa officer. To be safe, I would have him come with you.
3) Can you apply for a working holiday visa then a month after apply for citizenship?
'PR visa", but yes.
4) Will the issues of us not having any chat logs/ letters/ phone communication between each other be an issue? (We have messages to friends/ parents on facebook about each other though)
Not an issue. Just explain why you don't have them. Actually living together is better proof than chat logs and phone bills. The facebook messages are useful.