+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-Law? Conjugal? Neither?

Template

Sep 12, 2016
Hi, I've been staying with my girlfriend in BC for a few months now, and it is looking like I can't seem to get a work permit (lack of places willing to sponsor a "non-skilled" worker), a study permit isn't panning out (too much money for tuition). I'm currently with my girlfriend who I've known for over five years, and we have been dating for a year now. When I drove through, my passport was not stamped. I know that I'm able to stay here for six months. I've looked through old posts and they seem to indicate that we don't qualify as conjugal spouses, because I technically do have the ability to get sponsored/hired and live here, it's just unlikely. Am I mistaken? Would she be able to sponsor me as a common-law spouse? We can't technically co-habitate for one year if I can't stay for an entire year, right? Am I misunderstanding something? Would marriage solve all of this, or could we apply as common-law spouses?

Thanks in advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

Conjugal will never be a possibility and you are not yet common-law, so also not a possibility right now.

Before your 6 months is up, you can apply for an extension of your visitor status to stay in order to become common-law and then apply for sponsorship.

Or you can get married. You can then apply for sponsorship as soon as you have your marriage certificate.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Template said:
We can't technically co-habitate for one year if I can't stay for an entire year, right? Am I misunderstanding something?
You can very easily co-habitate for one year. You just need to extend your visitor visa for another six months towards the end of your visit.

The fact you can marry or easily co-habitate to become common law is the reason why you can never qualify as conjugal. However as explained above, you need to cohabitate for a full year to apply as common law - so you still have quite a while to wait before this will be possible.

If you get married, then you can certainly be sponsored as a married spouse.