+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[closed work permit] When is it safe to quit my job?

Maxpayne111

Star Member
Sep 27, 2020
USA
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
10-05-2021
Hi there,
I am currently waiting for my PR application to get processed. Have been in a closed work permit and can’t move to a different company since that will require another work permit application and update in my PR application in IRCC resulting in delays.
The question I have is when is it safest and easiest to quit my job - is it after I have received my eCOPR ? Or do I have to wait till I receive PR card.
I am in BC PNP so want to know if there’s a chance to have complications in my PR status if I quit 2-3 weeks after I have received my eCOPR?

P.S. ideally this would not have been a question but delays in PR card and processing is affecting me mentally and I want to pursue a better opportunity after a break.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,
I am currently waiting for my PR application to get processed. Have been in a closed work permit and can’t move to a different company since that will require another work permit application and update in my PR application in IRCC resulting in delays.
The question I have is when is it safest and easiest to quit my job - is it after I have received my eCOPR ? Or do I have to wait till I receive PR card.
I am in BC PNP so want to know if there’s a chance to have complications in my PR status if I quit 2-3 weeks after I have received my eCOPR?

P.S. ideally this would not have been a question but delays in PR card and processing is affecting me mentally and I want to pursue a better opportunity after a break.
You can quit anytime after you've become a PR. You don't need to wait for your PR card.

Maxpayne111

Star Member
Sep 27, 2020
USA
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
10-05-2021
Thanks @scylla and by becoming PR you mean as soon as I’ve received COPR correct?
Because I am through BC PNP, job was a crucial element for the PR application process hence want to double confirm.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021
Hi I am currently in the US as international student, and about to graduate with a Bachelor degree. Could you please tell me if there is a way for me to apply PNP in BC? Thank you!

Sep 19, 2021
If you have a job offer from a BC employer who meets eligibility requirements, then yes.
But the employer would need a LMIA to hire me correct? I heard that that way is not very easy for them, so few of them would go through these process. Are there any other ways? Thanks

CaliChunks

Star Member
Jun 3, 2021
Thanks @scylla and by becoming PR you mean as soon as I’ve received COPR correct?
Because I am through BC PNP, job was a crucial element for the PR application process hence want to double confirm.
Hi just want to confirm that by 'becoming a PR' you mean as soon as you receive eCOPR right?

I have my eCOPR but waiting for my PR card and want to know if it is safe to quit my job?

Maxpayne111

Star Member
Sep 27, 2020
USA
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
10-05-2021
@CaliChunks what I understood, yes COPR is you proof of becoming a PR. PR card is only a travel document. However I would double check from a lawyer or @legalfalcon before quitting, especially if you are PNP. PNP is tied to job offer.

Reactions: CaliChunks

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi just want to confirm that by 'becoming a PR' you mean as soon as you receive eCOPR right?

I have my eCOPR but waiting for my PR card and want to know if it is safe to quit my job?
The PR card is only a travel document. The day you receive an e-COPR or when you land in Canada and are allowed to enter with a COPR, effective that date you become a PR.

It does not matter when you receive a PR card.

Reactions: CaliChunks