+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship with H1-B

SIYR

Jan 18, 2018
Windsor Area
Hello,
I’m currently an Indian citizen with H1-B visa (expiring in June 2024) and Canada PR, living in Windsor, ON and commute regularly to my office in the Detroit area. My oath ceremony is scheduled for late August. My employer requires me to be in the office at least 3 days a week and unfortunately this has become an issue for me. I understand that it may take a couple of weeks to get my Canadian passport. I also would have to give up my Indian citizenship as India does not allow dual citizenship. Can anyone help me? My questions:
  1. Do I need a new H1-B visa stamped on my Canadian passport?
  2. If yes, would it be issued at the land border or should I book an appointment at the US consulate?
  3. This question is for any Indian citizen who has given up Indian citizenship - When should I return the passport and apply for surrender of citizenship?
Appreciate your input. Thank you.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Hello,
I’m currently an Indian citizen with H1-B visa (expiring in June 2024) and Canada PR, living in Windsor, ON and commute regularly to my office in the Detroit area. My oath ceremony is scheduled for late August. My employer requires me to be in the office at least 3 days a week and unfortunately this has become an issue for me. I understand that it may take a couple of weeks to get my Canadian passport. I also would have to give up my Indian citizenship as India does not allow dual citizenship. Can anyone help me? My questions:
  2. If yes, would it be issued at the land border or should I book an appointment at the US consulate?
  3. This question is for any Indian citizen who has given up Indian citizenship - When should I return the passport and apply for surrender of citizenship?
Canadian citizens are visa exempt and don't need H1 stamping. Just I797 + Canadian passport at port of entry.

Reactions: SIYR

Canda2023

Jun 15, 2023
Hello,
What did you in the end? I am in similar situation and have acquired Canadian citizenship with h 1 visa valid on surrendered passport.

SIYR

Jan 18, 2018
Windsor Area
What did you in the end? I am in similar situation and have acquired Canadian citizenship with h 1 visa valid on surrendered passport.
The H1-B status remains valid as long as it remains valid in your receipt (I-797). Once you receive your Canadian passport, make sure you inform the border officers that you have acquired Canadian citizenship and would require a new I-94 stamp on your Canadian passport and you should be all set. Canadians are exempt from having a visa stamp on the passport. The I-94 stamp on your passport and the updated I-94 showing your new citizenship should suffice as documentation for future reference.

Reactions: shellyhanda