+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Received after RQ- Finally!!!

skywards747

Mar 15, 2008
I finally became a Canadian citizen recently after a long long wait with a story not much different from many others on this board.

First the timeline summary.

Landed : June 2008
Applied for citizenship: January 2012
Acknowledgement Received: February 2012
Processing Started: September 2012
Test and RQ received at Mississauga : October 2012
RQ submitted: December 2012
Notice to appear for Oath: April 2015

The reason for RQ was basically for being self-employed as a consultant and a large number of overseas trips including many to US.

I submitted all the usual documents that proves physical presence such as utility bills, bank statements, rental receipts, vehicle ownership etc. In addition, copies of attendance badges at various trade shows and business conferences in Canada were also submitted. The usage record of health card was submitted at a later stage. I also received the US CBP record of my movements but I did not submit it as it did not contain all my trips, especially the ones through land borders and could have been confusing to CIC.

Following is something that I did that probably helped my case. I submitted a summary of all my overseas trips (in addition to the RQ form) and numbered them as trip 1, trip 2 etc. Then I made individual packages for each trip with comprehensive details such as flight numbers, hotel stays, car rentals etc accounting for days away from Canada. I also attached passport pages with immigration stamps highlighted for each entry / exit recorded for each trip if available. (This was in addition to the copies of the full passport.) Then I attached credit card transactions that may prove the timeline of my trips. For example, I highlighted a transaction in New York on my last day there and a transaction on my first day back in Canada. As luck would have it, I am bit of a hoarder and had most of my boarding passes, car rental receipts and duty free receipts etc.

I want to say a big thank you to many people on this board that provided extremely useful tips on the RQ process. It was a long ordeal and very happy that it is finally over. I am now a proud Canadian.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
skywards747 said:
I finally became a Canadian citizen recently after a long long wait with a story not much different from many others on this board.

The reason for RQ was basically for being self-employed as a consultant and a large number of overseas trips including many to US.

I submitted all the usual documents that proves physical presence such as utility bills, bank statements, rental receipts, vehicle ownership etc. In addition, copies of attendance badges at various trade shows and business conferences in Canada were also submitted. The usage record of health card was submitted at a later stage. I also received the US CBP record of my movements but I did not submit it as it did not contain all my trips, especially the ones through land borders and could have been confusing to CIC.

Following is something that I did that probably helped my case. I submitted a summary of all my overseas trips (in addition to the RQ form) and numbered them as trip 1, trip 2 etc. Then I made individual packages for each trip with comprehensive details such as flight numbers, hotel stays, car rentals etc accounting for days away from Canada. I also attached passport pages with immigration stamps highlighted for each entry / exit recorded for each trip if available. (This was in addition to the copies of the full passport.) Then I attached credit card transactions that may prove the timeline of my trips. For example, I highlighted a transaction in New York on my last day there and a transaction on my first day back in Canada. As luck would have it, I am bit of a hoarder and had most of my boarding passes, car rental receipts and duty free receipts etc.

I want to say a big thank you to many people on this board that provided extremely useful tips on the RQ process. It was a long ordeal and very happy that it is finally over. I am now a proud Canadian.
Congratulations!!

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
skywards747 said:

Waited from Dec 2012 until now. Your patience has paid off. Congrats! Hope to join the club soon. What can I say I'm an eternal optimist.

lenium

Dec 2, 2014
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats! May we hear more good news this week!

janoo

May 16, 2014
Congratulation..... your time line and mine is same, am waiting to hear some good

news.... hope mine will also on the way.... this morning call CIC they inform

waiting for RCMP clearance for next step..

BalajiR

Jan 11, 2014
Whitby, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations skywards747.............

skywards747 said:

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
skywards747 said:

Hearty Congrats !!!

skywards747

Mar 15, 2008
I appreciate all your congratulatory wishes.

Just a few things about the oath ceremony. It was at Mississauga and the time given was 0900 AM. I arrived there at round 0830 and left around 1130. So plan your parking payment accordingly. My parking coupon expired around 1045 but there was no ticket. It wouldn't have been the best feeling in the world to become a citizen and come out to a parking ticket.

They let you into the ceremony hall around 0845. At the door, they check your invitation letter and take the PR card. There is a number below your name on the invitation letter and that is the seat number where you will sit and the order that your name will be called to receive the citizenship certificate.

After everyone is seated (103 was the number of people who became citizens that morning), a lady clerk in robes explained the ceremony procedure. A short video about Canada was shown and then the citizenship judge and a officer of Peel police in ceremonial uniform came out. The judge gave a welcoming speech that was humorous and anecdotal but with a serious message about the Canadian citizenship. Then everyone got up and recited the citizenship oath after the judge. It was done in both English and French.

Then the names were called to receive the certificates. It was mostly an orderly process due to the previous briefing by the clerk. While most of the recipients were dressed appropriately for the occasion, a few were in jeans and t shirts etc. You will have time to take a photograph with the judge, police officer and clerk. After receiving the certificate, you have to walk to the back of the room to sign a document to confirm the oath and to confirm that your status to receive the citizenship has not changed since the application.

After everyone has received the certificates, the judge gives another short speech about the responsibilities of the citizenship. Then the national anthem is sung and the formal part of the ceremony concludes with the exit of the judge and the police officer. They will return later for more photo opportunities in front of the flags. The clerk will explain the procedure for passport application and to ensure that all the details on the certificate is correct. If you spot any mistakes there, they can correct it right then but it will be a long process to correct anything after you leave the room.

We were told to wait 48 hours before applying for the passport to ensure that the computers are updated. But I did apply within 24 hours and there were no issues.

All the very best to those of you waiting for this day and I am sure you will receive good news soon.

look4d

Apr 17, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulation, very happy for you, I want to ask, do we have to take all the documents which we submitted in the citizenship application ?, like education certificates, bank statements, tax return ..etc ?, or just Passports, COPR and PR and ID's ?

Thank you

skywards747

Mar 15, 2008
look4d said:
Congratulation, very happy for you, I want to ask, do we have to take all the documents which we submitted in the citizenship application ?, like education certificates, bank statements, tax return ..etc ?, or just Passports, COPR and PR and ID's ?

Thank you
They want you to ONLY bring the following;
1. The notice to appear (the letter you receive)
2. 2 pieces of photo ID (DL, health card etc.)
3. The originals of the documents that you submitted with application - The record of landing (IMM 1000) or COPR (IMM 5292/5688)
4. PR Card
5. All passports in your possession
6. Holy book if you wish to swear on that for oath

In my case, they only looked at the notice to appear and took the PR card. They want you to keep the ROL/COPR in a secure place as you will need it for claiming Canada pension when you reach the retirement. Hope this helps.