+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nah, my father only naturalized within the last five years, so I'm very familiar with the fact that the US certificate has the photo on it (had to get the exact date of naturalization to fill out CIT 0001E for the proof of Canadian citizenship). That made me all the more surprised that the certificate doesn't have the photo on it.

CIC used to issue Citizenship cards with the photos on them along with the certificate but that practice stopped in 2012, now the document that is de facto proof of identity and citizenship is the Canadian passport alone.
Except that a Canadian passport is not considered to be proof of Canadian citizenship. Once when I was in a Service Canada office, I decided to ask a question about my SIN, and the clerk asked if I had proof of Canadian citizenship. I said yes, my passport. She said that's a travel document, not proof of citizenship! Coming from the U.S., where a passport definitely is proof of citizenship, I was incredulous. However, I looked it up, and she was right...Canada does not view a Canadian passport as being proof of Canadian citizenship!

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
Except that a Canadian passport is not considered to be proof of Canadian citizenship. Once when I was in a Service Canada office, I decided to ask a question about my SIN, and the clerk asked if I had proof of Canadian citizenship. I said yes, my passport. She said that's a travel document, not proof of citizenship! Coming from the U.S., where a passport definitely is proof of citizenship, I was incredulous. However, I looked it up, and she was right...Canada does not view a Canadian passport as being proof of Canadian citizenship!
CIC is ridiculous and between work permits and untested areas of law there I'm not terribly surprised. I get that birth certificates and Canadian citizenship certificates do not expire, but practically you need to present one of those to get them, and thus the passport should be considered proof of citizenship, but never underestimate the power of bureaucracy.

Pretty much any case that requires you to prove US citizenship in the US, including presenting documentation as proof of identity & right to work in the US, the US passport is a valid document to do so.

wilts001

Jul 10, 2017
Want to update with the timeline of my daughter's application. Application was sent by Fedex on August 29th, 2017. Below is the update on CIC site:
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on September 1, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on September 26, 2017.
  3. We started processing your application on October 12, 2017.
  4. We sent you a letter on October 12, 2017. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  5. We sent you a citizenship certificate on October 12, 2017. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
This thread has been really helpful while preparing her application. I am really glad that it has been processed so quickly. It may have been because it was a straight forward application.

Last edited:

Going through

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Congrats on getting it processed so quickly!

I'm still waiting for the AOR...I know it was only re-delivered to Sydney not even two weeks ago so I have some time to wait still...
Hate the whole "hanging in the air not knowing anything" until then. Hopefully I get the acknowledgement of receipt soon so I can begin tracking it online.

Weird how it always seems to take so long to send out an AOR after receiving an application....the average seems to be one month from what I'm reading on this thread?

wilts001

Jul 10, 2017
For anyone looking for Canadian Passport or Citizenship pictures, I found these guys to be the best. They will be able to do any pictures as long as you provide a detailed spec like the one attached with the passport application or the citizenship application. We got our US passport pictures, Canadian Passport pictures and Canadian citizenship pictures done by them. Their price is a little steep. They charge $35 for two, but I think it is worth spending a little extra than getting an application returned after 4 or 5 weeks.

New York Camera & Video, 1139 Street Rd, Southampton, PA 18966

Reactions: jsm0085

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats on getting it processed so quickly!

I'm still waiting for the AOR...I know it was only re-delivered to Sydney not even two weeks ago so I have some time to wait still...
Hate the whole "hanging in the air not knowing anything" until then. Hopefully I get the acknowledgement of receipt soon so I can begin tracking it online.

Weird how it always seems to take so long to send out an AOR after receiving an application....the average seems to be one month from what I'm reading on this thread?
Around 37 days as of late.

manay99

May 27, 2016
Just state that you may travel to Canada soon so the child can meet family.
Hi Canuck and screech339 ,
I am based in Dubai and my passport is getting expired by the end of next month.
I need help to fill the form for ABROAD RENEWAL APPLICATION FORM,

Canadian Embassy told me to download pptc 482 form from their website.

Personal Information
Current Home address ( I will mention my Dubai home address?)
Mailing Address ( Dubai Home address?)

Section 2
Enclose any Canadian passport issued to you within the last six years. (Do i have to enter the details of my last passport details which is getting expired? )

Section 5 ADDITIONAL PERSONAL INFORMATIOn
(A) Address in the last two years ( I m in Dubai since last 5 years. so do i have to mention my Dubai address? )
(B) Occupation - (Occupation Details of Dubai? )

Section 6 REFERENCE
Mandatory to fill this information in Section 6 ? Those 2 reference person must be Canadian or they can be anyone? those 2 reference has to be based in DUBAI or any part in the world?

Looking forward hearing you.
Your guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

Keith Moon

Feb 4, 2017
How long should I expect it will take to get confirmation of receipt from Sydney for the documents I mailed from the US?

I mailed my kids' applications (together) pretty close to a month ago and haven't heard back yet.

Going through

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
How long should I expect it will take to get confirmation of receipt from Sydney for the documents I mailed from the US?

I mailed my kids' applications (together) pretty close to a month ago and haven't heard back yet.

I'm in the same boat as you---still waiting for the AOR.
I also neglected to fill in the email address info....if I'd known (or if it was stated on the form itself) what the purpose of asking for my email address was, I would have surely included it. It's now occurring to me that since I never signed up for e-notifications, I have no way of knowing anything going on with the application...especially since I've seen people don't always get an AOR mailed them when residing outside of Canada :(

Going through

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Update to my post---

I was able to track it online using the IMM 5401 # (the reciept number from my online payment)---

It shows that my application was received...does this mean it is under processing now, and submitted properly, not going to be sent back? Or is the AOR still something different I should continue to wait for? Hoping @nyguy2 knows?

Still kinda concerned since the application was sent back to me *after* the photo specifications changed, for resubmission (because I forgot to check a box). I'm hoping that since the status is showing as "received" on ECAS, that I don't have to worry about them sending it back requesting new photos no?.

Last edited:

Keith Moon

Feb 4, 2017
Update to my post---

I was able to track it online using the IMM 5401 # (the reciept number from my online payment)---

It shows that my application was received...does this mean it is under processing now, and submitted properly, not going to be sent back? Or is the AOR still something different I should continue to wait for?

Still kinda concerned since the application was sent back to me *after* the photo specifications changed, for resubmission (because I forgot to check a box). I'm hoping that since the status is showing as "received" on ECAS, that I don't have to worry about them sending it back requesting new photos no?.
When did you send in your application?

Going through

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
When did you send in your application?
Sent from NYC on August 25th, 2017.
Received BACK from CIC on September 26th (for incompleteness because I forgot to check a box on the very last question)
Sent completed form from NYC on September 28th, 2017
Delivered on October 3rd, 2017
Updated on November 3rd,2017 in ECAS as "we received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on Oct. 3rd"

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
Update to my post---

It shows that my application was received...does this mean it is under processing now, and submitted properly, not going to be sent back? Or is the AOR still something different I should continue to wait for? Hoping @nyguy2 knows?

An AOR is supposed to occur after they have received your application, opened it, reviewed it, and then considered it "complete". That's from a documentation perspective. They could return it later, but they're supposed to have reviewed everything first before sending it onward.

Received is just the AOR stuff. It's normal, even for those of us who applied before the change in photo requirement.

Reactions: Going through