+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

dandys

May 15, 2011
Wondering if Child born in USA to a Canadian Permanent Resident Parents would be automatically a Canadian Citizen since we are expecting our Baby to be born in Aug 2017 and our Citizenship is also due in Aug 2017). Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
dandys said:
Wondering if Child born in USA to a Canadian Permanent Resident Parents would be automatically a Canadian Citizen since we are expecting our Baby to be born in Aug 2017 and our Citizenship is also due in Aug 2017). Any help is much appreciated.
If the child is born before you are naturalized, no.

If the child is born after you are naturalized, yes.

keet95

Feb 6, 2017
Hello: Asking a question here instead of starting new thread. Here is our situation:

I am a Canadian citizen, born in Canada. I am a PR of USA.
My husband is a US citizen.
We live together in the US.
We have two children who were both born in the US after 2009 (both are US citizens).

We plan to relocate to Canada and, for various family reasons, would like to do so as soon as possible. I am going to sponsor my husband for Canadian PR but I am trying to determine the best and fastest way to handle our children's applications. They qualify for proof of citizenship, but I am trying to determine if the best course of action is to:

1.) prove my children's Canadian citizenship and get passports (5 months) and THEN submit the PR application for my husband (another 12 months). Total processing time: ~17 months.

or

2.) simply apply for PR status for my husband and children all at the same time. Total processing time: ~12 months.
Then, immediately after we relocate to Canada, I would apply to prove the children's Canadian citizenship. Is this OK?

I am assuming it would not be a good idea to file for PR status for my husband while simultaneously and concurrently filing for proof of citizenship for my children, though this would be ideal if it is possible.

Any thoughts or help very much appreciated.

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
keet95 said:
1.) prove my children's Canadian citizenship and get passports (5 months) and THEN submit the PR application for my husband (another 12 months). Total processing time: ~17 months.

or

2.) simply apply for PR status for my husband and children all at the same time. Total processing time: ~12 months.
Then, immediately after we relocate to Canada, I would apply to prove the children's Canadian citizenship. Is this OK?

I am assuming it would not be a good idea to file for PR status for my husband while simultaneously and concurrently filing for proof of citizenship for my children, though this would be ideal if it is possible.
Hi

Option 2 is not even a possibility. Your children are Canadian and can't be included in your husband's sponsorship app. If you try this, your app will either be returned or face delays while IRCC removes the children from the app.

I'm not sure why you would think it isn't a good idea to sponsor your spouse and apply for the children's Certificates of Citizenship at the same time. The apps have nothing to do with each other.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

Option 2 is not even a possibility. Your children are Canadian and can't be included in your husband's sponsorship app. If you try this, your app will either be returned or face delays while IRCC removes the children from the app.

I'm not sure why you would think it isn't a good idea to sponsor your spouse and apply for the children's Certificates of Citizenship at the same time. The apps have nothing to do with each other.
I agree. Apply to sponsor your husband and send for proof of citizenship for kids at the same time, or start on one and do the other ASAP...doesn't matter.

khana26

Star Member
Apr 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
Doc's Request.
02-03-2017, Sent: 05-04-2017; 04-19-2017, Sent: 04-19-2017
AOR Received.
14-12-2016
Med's Done....
29-10-2016
Hello keet95,

We were pretty much in the same situation. I applied for my child's citizenship certificate at first. This application process is certainly easier: filling up only one form, and requires only a few papers to submit.

After that I applied for my wife's sponsorship to Canada. By the time I launched her sponsorship application, I had received my child's UCI number, which I mentioned in my wife's forms. You will notice that, in the permanent resident application form (IMM 008), you have to fill out a section with the information of your dependent(s). In this section, you will find a question: 11 a) Will accompany principal applicant to Canada? Your answer to this question will be "No". Answering "Yes" to this question implies that, you are including your dependent(s) in your PR application. I also sent a small note describing that, my child can be considered as a citizen by decent, and his paperwork is in progress in Sydney, NS. As a whole everything worked out just fine for us with no additional query from IRCC.

Regards,
khana26

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
khana26 said:
After that I applied for my wife's sponsorship to Canada. By the time I launched her sponsorship application, I had received my child's UCI number, which I mentioned in my wife's forms. You will notice that, in the permanent resident application form (IMM 008), you have to fill out a section with the information of your dependent(s). In this section, you will find a question: 11 a) Will accompany principal applicant to Canada? Your answer to this question will be "No". Answering "Yes" to this question implies that, you are including your dependent(s) in your PR application. I also sent a small note describing that, my child can be considered as a citizen by decent, and his paperwork is in progress in Sydney, NS.
This is incorrect. As stated right on IMM0008, Canadian children are not to be listed in the Dependent section.

You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada.

khana26

Star Member
Apr 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
Doc's Request.
02-03-2017, Sent: 05-04-2017; 04-19-2017, Sent: 04-19-2017
AOR Received.
14-12-2016
Med's Done....
29-10-2016
Hello canuck_in_uk,

Too late!! :) I think that, the IRCC official made necessary correction in the background. But everything worked out just fine for us so far.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
khana26 said:
Hello canuck_in_uk,

Too late!! :) I think that, the IRCC official made necessary correction in the background. But everything worked out just fine for us so far.
That's good that it worked out for you with no delays.

Qashief

Feb 9, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I am applying the proof of citizenship for my 3 yr old son born outside Canada in Pakistan, in the instruction form (Consulate of Canada in Karachi) it says that i have to give written statement to the fact why you were not able to apply earlier or soon after the birth of the child.
Can anyone help me with a sample, i can really appreciate your help.

Kind Regards

MNJ24

Feb 16, 2017
Hello there. Has anyone here heard and has the idea about facilitation visa for a minor child? Please let me know po. We desperately need help on this matter for my daughter, we are currently waiting for her proof of citizenship and the immigration advised us that while waiting we can apply her a facilitation visa, I just want to know if applying her a facilitation visa is a smart option or just wait for citizenship which we now waiting for more than a year already. Thank you

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Qashief said:
Hello Everyone,

I am applying the proof of citizenship for my 3 yr old son born outside Canada in Pakistan, in the instruction form (Consulate of Canada in Karachi) it says that i have to give written statement to the fact why you were not able to apply earlier or soon after the birth of the child.
Can anyone help me with a sample, i can really appreciate your help.

Kind Regards
maybe find a notary public/solicitor and get them to do it for you.
You already know what they want. Usually they have such types of cases.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
MNJ24 said:
Hello there. Has anyone here heard and has the idea about facilitation visa for a minor child? Please let me know po. We desperately need help on this matter for my daughter, we are currently waiting for her proof of citizenship and the immigration advised us that while waiting we can apply her a facilitation visa, I just want to know if applying her a facilitation visa is a smart option or just wait for citizenship which we now waiting for more than a year already. Thank you
1. If possible, Apply for GCMS notes for this file so u can find out the status (as a Canadian citizen). [google or search forum if u need help on this]

2. Send a case inquiry to the embassy/CIC about current case status and estimated completion time. Did you submit a temporary passport for the child at the same time when u applied proof of citizenship ??

3. If you (all) want to proceed to Canada in near future, you can apply for it. Otherwise wait. Some people in family sponsorship forum have applied the same as you (proof of c.) and also obtained temporary passport for child to travel to Canada....perhaps u can check family class forum for pakistan applicants to ask help from fellow pakistani members.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
MNJ24 said:
You can apply for a facilitation visa if you need to travel soon.

toulaparas

Feb 19, 2017
Hello,

Can someone please help me out.

I was born in Canada and therefore I am a Canadian citizen by birth. My child was born outside of Canada before 17 April, 2009.

Does that mean that he is a Canadian citizen or do I have to apply (Application for a Citizenship Certificate) for Minors enabling him to get his Canadian Citizenship Certificate?

Thank you