alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toulaparas said:
Hello,

Can someone please help me out.

I was born in Canada and therefore I am a Canadian citizen by birth. My child was born outside of Canada before 17 April, 2009.

Does that mean that he is a Canadian citizen or do I have to apply (Application for a Citizenship Certificate) for Minors enabling him to get his Canadian Citizenship Certificate?

Thank you
In this case, it doesn't matter whether your child was born before or after 2009. (This is a misunderstanding of the changes to the Citizenship Act.) He is a Canadian citizen, because he was born to a parent born in Canada. You don't need to do anything for him to be a Canadian citizen, but if he wants to exercise the rights of citizenship, such as holding a Canadian passport, you will need to apply for a citizenship certificate for him.

soon2bskinny

Star Member
Sep 10, 2011
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello all...

this our scenario...
1) I am a naturalized Canadian citizen and my husband is Permanent Resident of Canada (Filipino citizen)
2) if our baby will be born in the Philippines, we need to apply for the citizenship of the child in Canadian embassy right? Do you have any idea how long the process takes? and what are the requirements?

thank you in advance for your help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
soon2bskinny said:
2) if our baby will be born in the Philippines, we need to apply for the citizenship of the child in Canadian embassy right? Do you have any idea how long the process takes? and what are the requirements?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp

Bhags

Mar 22, 2015
hi in Limited Validity passport application

i am husband Canadian Citizen and my spouse is India having PR visa

who is the main applicant ?? me or my wife ??
if anybody can help

goblue

Jul 6, 2017
Was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice.

My father was born in Canada after 1950 to two parents who were also born in Canada (earlier). My mother is not a Canadian citizen.
I was born to him in the United states after 1950, before 2009.

Regarding questions:
Section 8A regarding applicant's parents. Obviously for parent #2, just say they aren't a canadian citizen, n/a.
For the first parent who is, they don't have a certificate that I'm aware of (they do have a current birth certificate listing their birth in B.C. and both parents). Do I just put his birth certificate number in the "Canadian Certificate no." field?

Secondly, do I have to fill out section 8B (Applicant's grandparents) at all? I (applicant) am the first generation born abroad, and the verbiage (if the applican'ts parent was born outside Canada, was one his/her parents (i.e. one of the applicants grandparents) a Canadian citizen at the time of his/her birth)? My mother was never a canadian citizen, but my father was born inside Canada, so I'm not sure what I check (yes/no) and if I put anything for section 8B at all.

Thanks for any and all guidance.
How did you go about filling that portion out, and what was the result? I'm in the same boat- my dad was born in Canada, as was his mother. My mother (and her parents) were all born in USA. I have everything ready to go- certified copies, photos, have paid the application, etc., but I'm stuck on Section 8B because the wording is as clear as mud. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
8B.
1. Write N/A, because your father wasn't born outside Canada
2. N/A for same reason
3. Check NO, because your mother's parents were not Canadian citizens
4. Check NO, because your mother's parents were not Crown servants
You do not have to fill in the names, dates, etc., of any of your grandparents.

andrewhl

Aug 28, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Nov-2016
Doc's Request.
21-Dec-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
16-Nov-2016
Med's Done....
20-Dec-2016(Passed)
Passport Req..
02-Feb-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-Feb-2017
LANDED..........
13-Feb-2017
any timeline for the Citizenship Certificate for children born outside of Canada?(Applied in Canada)
Cheers

baba1234

Aug 4, 2011
I mentioned Beijing because he only mentioned Beijing so I assumed that was best suited for him but true, if Shanghai or Hong Kong is better for him, he can apply there.

From your own link, I read that they suggest that you postpone your travel plans until the baby has gotten the citizenship card but when not possible:

So it doesn't sound like you would get a 3 year passport for your child unless you have the citizenship certificate already before you apply.

andrewhl

Aug 28, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Nov-2016
Doc's Request.
21-Dec-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
16-Nov-2016
Med's Done....
20-Dec-2016(Passed)
Passport Req..
02-Feb-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-Feb-2017
LANDED..........
13-Feb-2017

wilts001

Jul 10, 2017
I read through this thread. I think I got many of my questions answered, but want to confirm a few. My wife and I are both naturalized Canadian Citizens, naturalized in late 90's. My kids were born in the US in 2002 and 2005. I want to apply for their Citizenship Certificates. Please comment on the following if you can.
  1. Looking at the document checklist, it appears we fall under Scenario # 3. Does it sound like the correct scenario?
  2. Under the above scenario, I am a little confused whether I should send a certified copy of my Citizenship certificate or an original. If they require an original, does CPC return the certificate after verification or only after the application is processed along with my kids approved certificates?
  3. Since my kids are already 15 and 12, does CPC require any additional affidavits from me? I don't want to inundate them with unwanted documents, but at the same time want to send everything so that there is no back and forth.
  4. For my kids identity documents, I am planning on sending their US Passport copies and the social security card copies, are those acceptable identity documents? They do not have anything else except US passport, social security card & birth certificate.
  5. Since my wife and I are both naturalized Canadian citizens, is it sufficient to just include my information in 8A. Is there a need to include her information in 8A (Page 4 of 7)? I don't want to send both our Citizenship certificates, hence the question.
Appreciate your time in answering my questions.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I read through this thread. I think I got many of my questions answered, but want to confirm a few. My wife and I are both naturalized Canadian Citizens, naturalized in late 90's. My kids were born in the US in 2002 and 2005. I want to apply for their Citizenship Certificates. Please comment on the following if you can.
  1. Looking at the document checklist, it appears we fall under Scenario # 3. Does it sound like the correct scenario?
  2. Under the above scenario, I am a little confused whether I should send a certified copy of my Citizenship certificate or an original. If they require an original, does CPC return the certificate after verification or only after the application is processed along with my kids approved certificates?
  3. Since my kids are already 15 and 12, does CPC require any additional affidavits from me? I don't want to inundate them with unwanted documents, but at the same time want to send everything so that there is no back and forth.
  4. For my kids identity documents, I am planning on sending their US Passport copies and the social security card copies, are those acceptable identity documents? They do not have anything else except US passport, social security card & birth certificate.
  5. Since my wife and I are both naturalized Canadian citizens, is it sufficient to just include my information in 8A. Is there a need to include her information in 8A (Page 4 of 7)? I don't want to send both our Citizenship certificates, hence the question.
Appreciate your time in answering my questions.
1. Yes, #3
2. Documents will not be returned. You would only send an original of your Citizenship certificate if YOU were applying for a replacement. In this case, they're asking for a certified* copy. (Also, as regards birth certificates, you can send originals, which will not be returned, or certified copies.)
3. No
4. Yes, they're acceptable.
5. Complete the information for both of you. Do not leave any section blank. If something does not apply, write N/A.

*Having a certified copy made in the U.S. can be a challenge. Look here to see whether your state allows a notary to make a "true copy" certification: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_copy

If you live near a Canadian consulate, the staff will also certify documents for you.

It *may* be possible to have a document certified by a person in a certain profession. This is allowed by IRCC for immigration purposes, but I don't know whether it is also permitted in proof of citizenship cases. See: https://www.immigrationdirect.ca/blog/2012/07/18/what-is-a-certified-copy/

_MissyMary_

May 26, 2017
New to these boards, but this is an immensely helpful thread! I'm in the process of completing my application for the certificate of citizenship. My Mother was born in Canada, and she has only her original birth certificate. I've had a photocopy of her birth certificate certified by a notary already.

My question is - do I need to also have the photocopies of my identity documents - my US passport and driver's license - certified by a notary? The instructions seemed a bit vague on this point, and I didn't want to mess up on a small technicality like this. Are regular photocopies of identity documents acceptable?

Any insight is greatly appreciated here! Thanks in advance.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
New to these boards, but this is an immensely helpful thread! I'm in the process of completing my application for the certificate of citizenship. My Mother was born in Canada, and she has only her original birth certificate. I've had a photocopy of her birth certificate certified by a notary already.

My question is - do I need to also have the photocopies of my identity documents - my US passport and driver's license - certified by a notary? The instructions seemed a bit vague on this point, and I didn't want to mess up on a small technicality like this. Are regular photocopies of identity documents acceptable?

Any insight is greatly appreciated here! Thanks in advance.
Identity documents don't need to be certified.