Category........
Visa Office......
islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
aug2009
i also inquired through my MP and the reply he gave me was tht :

this file is currently in que to be reviewwed. routine background checks are undergone for this file..

wat does this mean? havent they done the background checks yet?
n this is the reply i got 1 month baq ...start of july..
i again contacted my MP 2 days ago n he said contact me at the end of this month its too soon to inquire again !!

not fair :( reallly frustrating

m2009

Aug 6, 2010
I can understand how U feel lostsoul & Mariah. I have never been so depressed in my entire life ...since last 14months. It is not fair the way WIVES' cases are processed much faster...even though people applied quite later from the time we applied.

It is because of some stupid people...that have left this impression...and now we r paying for their mistakes and blunders. :(

Our relationships are at stake of 1 favourable decision of CHC-Isb.

Dun be upset U guys. Insha Allah.... we'll be with our husbands v.soon. Allah knows better. May Allah listen to our prayers soon in Ramadan. These BACKGROUND CHECKS are a UNENDING TERRIFYING NIGHTMARE.

m2009

Aug 6, 2010
MARIAH --- U should make an enquiry in 1-1 and half months. I check my Husband's case online EVERYDAY. though, I know they won't update anything till visa is stamped. But I really wish now...our case would be in INDIA.... they have speedy processing times.

locolynn

May 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-04-07
AOR Received.
08-06-07
Interview........
06-12-07/09-24-08/09-27-11
lostsoul27 said:
I think i am going to wait for 1 more month and then apply for the CAPS notes..I guess being imprisoned would be better then this... atleast those people know the time they need to suffer. This is worst than that... when you dont know what to expect next and how long to wait.
don't wait a month to order your caips...do it now, you may just find something in their that could change your situation (unlikely, but I have heard of a case).

Also contact CSIS to find out if your file is with them. Go to their website and you'll find their contact details. Fax them a letter with your full name, immigration file number, d.o.b and country of origin. In the letter ask them if they have your file.

And finally call your MP. There isn't much they can do while you are in background checks, but if you can get your MP invested in your case,when background checks are complete they *may* be able to compel the office to put your file to the top and turn it around quicker.

All of this is more to make you feel like you are doing something...the truth is background checks take as long as they take and there is absolutely nothing ANYONE can do about it. Our case has been in background checks for 2.5 years, I've contacted everyone under the sun - twice - and we're still waiting. Boo CSIS.

Good luck to you!

Lynn

irajmirza

Star Member
Aug 26, 2009
Hi everyone specially mariah,

this process is really frustrating. Not only you guys from pakistan but people from other countries like mexico, arab countries, Iran,... are processed like this. Mine is inland. I received AIP on time and after that, it has been 13 months now, nothing just they say back ground check. Maybe it is because our country of origin does not reply to the canadian inquiries?!!! however as far as this process is going on everything is stopped in your mind and it is depressing specially for men. So lets just pray and hope.

Good luck

mariah

Jul 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
aug2009
thankyou so much for ur support...

i have emailed them 2 days back , n they replied me that with the info u have provided v r unable to find the file plz send us file no and other related detail again...lets c

lostsoul27

Star Member
Apr 20, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2009
AOR Received.
May 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Request
January 2010
Med's Done....
January 2010 AGAIN IN Feb 2011
Interview........
exempted
Passport Req..
28th Feb 2011
VISA ISSUED...
18th March 2011
Yea... i guess i should apply for the CAPS notes right away.

Why dont they update the processing times on the website. they should 14 months maximum for spousal cases.

About contacting CSIS. I dont know if i should do that.. sometimes when you bug them so much they get irritated and it causes delays.

Lets hope that we all get to celebrate this Eid with our husbands.

locolynn

May 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-04-07
AOR Received.
08-06-07
Interview........
lostsoul27 said:
About contacting CSIS. I dont know if i should do that.. sometimes when you bug them so much they get irritated and it causes delays.
I don't think they take it personally when you make inquiries into your case. They are a huge organization and for them you are just another file. Of course your letter should be respectful and to the point. Dear So and so i'm writing to find out if you are currently doing background checks on my husband...blah blah...

They'll send you one of 3 form letters - a) yes background checks are in progress, you will be notified when complete. b) background checks have been completed and the file was sent back to CIC or c) we don't have a file for that immigration number.

for me it just helped to have the confirmation that the case was in fact with them...so when I'm speaking to lawyers, mps etc. I can say, well I know his case has been with CSIS since AT LEAST such and such a date.

Plus, there have been reports of peoples files getting lost between csis and cic, so it let's you know where your file is at and who exactly is responsible....

Just some thoughts!

Lynn

shaimaa

May 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2009
Doc's Request.
04-11-2009 and Re-PCC in July/2010 and on 3/March/2011 asked for proof of eligibility of sponsor
AOR Received.
04-11-2009
File Transfer...
31-10-2009
Med's Request
8-07-2011
Med's Done....
21-07-2011
Passport Req..
8-07-2011 submitted on 21-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2011
hi, my husband applied for me in sept 20009 and they just contacted me 10 days back requesting for an updated police certificate. so i think now in chc-isb .....wives cases are also taking long i cant wait to be together with my husband in canada. me and my 5 year old boy haven't seen my husband since 15 months so i can understand what agony you all are going thru.
m2009 said:
I can understand how U feel lostsoul & Mariah. I have never been so depressed in my entire life ...since last 14months. It is not fair the way WIVES' cases are processed much faster...even though people applied quite later from the time we applied.

It is because of some stupid people...that have left this impression...and now we r paying for their mistakes and blunders. :(

Our relationships are at stake of 1 favourable decision of CHC-Isb.

Dun be upset U guys. Insha Allah.... we'll be with our husbands v.soon. Allah knows better. May Allah listen to our prayers soon in Ramadan. These BACKGROUND CHECKS are a UNENDING TERRIFYING NIGHTMARE.

lostsoul27

Star Member
Apr 20, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2009
AOR Received.
May 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Request
January 2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
exempted
Passport Req..
28th Feb 2011
VISA ISSUED...
18th March 2011
locolynn said:
I don't think they take it personally when you make inquiries into your case. They are a huge organization and for them you are just another file. Of course your letter should be respectful and to the point. Dear So and so i'm writing to find out if you are currently doing background checks on my husband...blah blah...

They'll send you one of 3 form letters - a) yes background checks are in progress, you will be notified when complete. b) background checks have been completed and the file was sent back to CIC or c) we don't have a file for that immigration number.

for me it just helped to have the confirmation that the case was in fact with them...so when I'm speaking to lawyers, mps etc. I can say, well I know his case has been with CSIS since AT LEAST such and such a date.

Plus, there have been reports of peoples files getting lost between csis and cic, so it let's you know where your file is at and who exactly is responsible....

Just some thoughts!

Lynn
Can you tell me address i should send this letter to. I should include my immigration file number, and our names and date of birth. Should i be like i am writing to find out about the update on my case. Is there any particular department i should address it to?

lostsoul27

Star Member
Apr 20, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2009
AOR Received.
May 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Request
January 2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
exempted
Passport Req..
28th Feb 2011
VISA ISSUED...
18th March 2011
I found the following information on one of the forms... I think its worth reading about Background checks.

I want to share my experience in the hope that it helps others in the same situation.

I applied for federal skilled worker class a few years ago and since I was living in Canada then (on a student visa), I sent my application to Buffalo. My assessment was done within the usual timelines of that time and I received my medical form after a year and a few months. But after I did medical, I didn't hear back from CIC (immigration) anymore. After a few months, I sent them an email and the response was "We have requested background information from other government offices(s). We cannot provide a date when the processing of your application will be complete."

This typically means that your file is sent to CSIS (Canadian security agency) for an in-depth security check. In many cases of in-depth security checks, after several months, the applicant is called in for a (security) interview and if everything goes well, they get their immigration in 3-4 months after the interview. But in my case, after waiting for more than a year and sending several emails, nothing was happening. They neither called me for an interview nor asked me any questions.

I tried to find other ways:

1- I asked my MP (member of parliament) for assistance. They contacted CIC on my behalf, but CIC gave them the same answer. Apparently, MPs can help you when the problem lies within CIC, but if it is a security check, they cannot do anything.

2- I got the CAIPS notes for my file several times. They usually block out everything related to security checks from the CAIPS notes they send you, but I found some evidence that there was a misunderstanding between CSIS and CIC regarding my file (each one was waiting for the other). That could contribute to 2 years of the delay, but even after the misunderstanding was resolved, nothing was happening.

3- I sent a letter to the director of CSIS asking if they are working on my file. By law, they have to answer (I guess within a month). I received a letter in response that confirmed they were working on my case, but they said they couldn’t give me a timeline for completion. After a few months, I sent them another letter and explained that I'd lose some important job opportunities if I didn't get my immigration soon and told them that I was ready to attend any interviews, etc and explained that I had never been involved in any criminal, military or political matter. The response was the same as the first response.

4- I talked with a few immigration consultants and an immigration lawyer and they all told me that there was nothing that I could do expect for waiting.

More than 3 years had passed after I did my medicals and still no answer from CIC (except for "we are waiting for background checks"). One day when I was googling to see if someone had the same problem, I found a forum post with a reference to the possibility of taking the case to federal court based on a concept called "writ of mandamus". But the forum post was written by someone who hadn’t done this himself, so there were not many details about that.

So I checked the website of the Federal Court of Canada and used their "decisions search" feature to find cases (from the menus, choose “decisions”, and then “search”) on mandamus cases against the Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Looking at tens of cases, I figured that I could in fact use mandamus.

Now, if you are a person with a history of involvement in criminal or terrorist acts, then you deserve having a hard time getting a security clearance.

But if you are like me and you know you have done nothing wrong, then you can assume your background check was delayed because of reasons like

- misunderstanding

-your file being lost or assigned to a lazy clerk

-Being born in a country that is considered suspicious

-Name similarity

In that case, keep reading this post.

I literally looked at 20-30 cases. Most of them did have some issues in their past (like membership in terrorist organizations), but a few were just ordinary people. All in all, based on previous rulings of the court, my conclusion was that you can use mandamus if the delay in your immigration file has been "unreasonable". To be regarded as unreasonable, a delay must meet the following three conditions:

(1) the delay in question was longer than the nature of the process required, prima facie;

(2) the applicant and his or her legal counsel were not responsible for the delay;

(3) the authority responsible for the delay did not provide satisfactory justification.

It seems that a period of more than four or five years has been accepted as "the nature of the process required" in previous rulings. There are even previous cases involving permanent residence applications where delays between three and five years were found to be prima facie longer than required (see cases of Platonov, supra, Kalachnikov, supra and Hanano, supra).

You can go to http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/index.html and use the keywords "mandamus" and "immigration" and "CSIS" to find similar cases.

Note that in many cases, immigration had claimed that the delay is not their fault because they did their part in a timely manner and it was CSIS that caused the delay. But interestingly, many judges didn't accept that excuse and ruled that the applicant is a client of CIC and not CSIS and it's the duty of CIC to give them a response one way or another and dealing with CSIS is CIC's issue, not that of the client.

So I used the case summaries in the Federal Court website and compiled a list of all lawyers who had a successful mandamus case (note that you need an immigration LAWYER for this and not an immigration consultant). I then tried to find their contact address by googling their name and contacted each of them asking for quotes.

Be careful here! Some lawyers may not know enough about mandamus and they may mislead you by saying that even if your application has been in process for more than 4 years, you cannot use mandamus. Ignore those guys.

Also be careful about the costs. I got quotes ranging from $2000 to $8000. I finally went with a lawyer that had several successful cases and charged me $2000 for a mandamus application. Our agreement was that if the matter was not solved before the court date, I would pay an additional $1000 to him to appear in the court.

So my lawyer filed a claim on my behalf based on the fact that I had been waiting for my immigration for a bit more than 4 years and the fact that I had never been involved in any "bad stuff". My lawyer told me that in most of the cases, the moment you sue immigration, the wheels start to move and CIC tries to finalize your file before they have to appear in court. So most likely, you'll get your immigration before the court date. And that was exactly what happened to me. When you file for mandamus, it may take around 3 months for the court to accept to take your case and set a court date and the court date may be within 3-4 months of that time (so your court date may be 6-7 months after you file your claim).

In my case, right after I filed my claim, immigration contacted me and asked for my updated address. Then, they started to ask for some documents, etc (including renewing my medicals). After the court date was set, they seemed to double the speed! Long story short, I got my immigration visa shortly after the court date was set (i.e., a few months before the court date).

So I strongly recommend this approach to whoever has been waiting for more than 4 years and knows in their heart that they don't have any skeleton in the closet.

Here is some additional info:

1- An immediate concern would be that if you sue immigration, they’d retaliate and reject your immigration application or get you in trouble somehow. Fortunately, it doesn’t work that way in Canada. They don’t take this personally and they can’t reject you without a good reason (at least if you have applied before 2008 when the Immigration Act changed).

2- In what I suggested above, the legal case is between you and CIC. That is, CSIS is not directly a part of the case. Another approach is to make a complaint against CSIS. Once you write a letter to the director of CSIS, if you feel that their answer is not compelling and they are keeping your file without any good reasons, you can submit a complaint to Security Intelligence Review Committee (SIRC) [see the details on the CSIS website]. I didn’t try this and honestly I was skeptical about it, but later I heard from a friend of my friend that he went with this option and it worked for him. The advantage is that this is free of charge and you don’t need a lawyer (because SIRC is not a court). Note that you may pursue both options (suing immigration and complaining to SIRC) at the same time.

I went through a lot of frustration while I saw that everyone who had applied years after me got their immigration, but my file was stuck and CIC wouldn’t help me a bit. I found this information one bit at a time during my years of struggle and I hope that sharing it would help people with the same situation as me.

m2009

Aug 6, 2010
@ SHAIMA ... My best wishes r with U too sister.

I have seen soooooo many cases where Wives cases are max. done in 12 months. I am also a member on other forum. People who have sponsored their wives...are receiving PPRs and Visa stamped week after week.

and us.....who are just broken now... TEARS are also dry..honestly.

Nothing heard from EMBASSY.

For U...they've asked an Updated Police record? If they've already asked you for a RE-MEDICAL earlier...then yr case will be FINALIZED in 1 month now.

Be ready for PPR news sister! and plz pray for our husbands too. Life is incomplete.

locolynn

May 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-04-07
AOR Received.
08-06-07
Interview........
lostsoul27 said:
Can you tell me address i should send this letter to. I should include my immigration file number, and our names and date of birth. Should i be like i am writing to find out about the update on my case. Is there any particular department i should address it to?
CSIS Contact info
Telephone: 613-993-9620
Fax: 613-231-0612
TTY: 613-991-9228 (24hrs)
Toll free: 1-800-267-7685 (available only in Ontario)

my first letter went something like this...

To the Director of CSIS:

I'm writing to you to inquire about my husband's background check being done on behalf of CIC. I've included his immigration file number, date of birth and country of origin. Can you please confirm whether his file is with your office? I can be contacted at the address and telephone number below. Thank you in advance.

Your name
Your address
Your telephone number

They need to respond to your request within 30 days.

Good luck!

shaimaa

May 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2009
Doc's Request.
04-11-2009 and Re-PCC in July/2010 and on 3/March/2011 asked for proof of eligibility of sponsor
AOR Received.
04-11-2009
File Transfer...
31-10-2009
Med's Request
8-07-2011
Med's Done....
21-07-2011
Passport Req..
8-07-2011 submitted on 21-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2011
Thanks for the encouragement dear, i have receieved the request for updated police certificate but not PPR request so i am hoping i will hear the good news soon inshalah .....whats your case how long has your case been in process?
m2009 said:
@ SHAIMA ... My best wishes r with U too sister.

I have seen soooooo many cases where Wives cases are max. done in 12 months. I am also a member on other forum. People who have sponsored their wives...are receiving PPRs and Visa stamped week after week.

and us.....who are just broken now... TEARS are also dry..honestly.

Nothing heard from EMBASSY.

For U...they've asked an Updated Police record? If they've already asked you for a RE-MEDICAL earlier...then yr case will be FINALIZED in 1 month now.

Be ready for PPR news sister! and plz pray for our husbands too. Life is incomplete.

lostsoul27

Star Member
Apr 20, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2009
AOR Received.
May 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Request
January 2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
exempted
Passport Req..
28th Feb 2011
VISA ISSUED...
18th March 2011
shaimaa said:
Thanks for the encouragement dear, i have receieved the request for updated police certificate but not PPR request so i am hoping i will hear the good news soon inshalah .....whats your case how long has your case been in process?
My case was the same i did the re-medical in Jan. and then in May got the police certificate request for the secnd time.. not heard for the last 3 monthgs.