+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Certificate of Identity..!!

abudhabian

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
Hi All,

While I was on my way back to Canada from Abu Dhabi, the airplane agent stopped me and didnt allow me to board before authenticating my PR from the Canadian Embassy, then I spoken to a CBSA agent who explained to me the situation,he said my Somali passport is not recognised by the Canadian government hence its not a valid travel document to Canada and my PR Card only shows my Status in Canada and not a travel document.

Strangly this is not my first visit to UAE,in the last 3 years i been visiting UAE more often.never they stopped me because of my Somali passport as long as I show them the PR card and I am flying direct to Toronto.

The CBSA agent requested me to get a certificate of Identity otherwise they wont let me pass next time and he will make a note in my file that I been using a Somali passport, ( I dont know what this suppose to mean,is it bad or what? )

1- how to get certificate of identity ?
2-what are the required documents?
3- do I have to submit my Somali passport ? and if I do so,I will lose UAE residency visa which is stamped on my somali passport?
4- what authority can issue this Certificate of Identity?
5- can the Canadian embassy in Abu Dhabi issue it? my wife still in Abu Dhabi, maybe she will face the same problem, how can she get certificate of identity from outside of Canada?

Regards

abudhabian

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
can u plz answer my questions, i already read that website, was looking for more details and personal experiences

zeeshan35

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There must be a reason you are not allowed to use Somali passport. Somalia is country that is recognized internationally.
Please check the website below for the new passports. If you have the old green Somali passport it will not be accepted. You will need a new one

http://immigration.gov.so/en/index.php

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There must be a reason you are not allowed to use Somali passport. Somalia is country that is recognized internationally.
Please check the website below for the new passports. If you have the old green Somali passport it will not be accepted. You will need a new one

http://immigration.gov.so/en/index.php
I see some information on this subject in this thread:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/sjtd-canadian-travel-document-seniors-plz-advice.36509/

"As for your query regarding leaving Canada after obtaining your Permanent Residence Cards, please be advised that the Permanent Residence Card is not a travel document, it is an identification document to state your status in Canada. You may use it to get back into the country along with your valid passports. In this case you will have to apply for Canadian Travel Documents at a Canadian High Commission/ Embassy in order to travel back to Canada with your Permanent Residence Card as your passports from Somalia are not recognized by the Government of Canada."

Also, here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob190.asp

"The following are not considered travel documents for the purposes of subsections R50(1) or R52(1):

• Any passport purporting to have been issued by Somalia"

Last edited:

Natan

May 22, 2015
1- how to get certificate of identity ? By applying for one from Passport Canada.
2-what are the required documents? Passport Canada's application form will include a list of required documents.
3- do I have to submit my Somali passport ? and if I do so,I will lose UAE residency visa which is stamped on my somali passport? Your Somali passport will be returned to you undamaged, you will not lose your UAE visa.
4- what authority can issue this Certificate of Identity? Passport Canada.
5- can the Canadian embassy in Abu Dhabi issue it? my wife still in Abu Dhabi, maybe she will face the same problem, how can she get certificate of identity from outside of Canada? You shall have to inquire at the embassy.

Regards

Natan

May 22, 2015
The embassy can issue your wife a one-way, one-time use travel document that is valid for travel to Canada.

abudhabian

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
I see some information on this subject in this thread:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/sjtd-canadian-travel-document-seniors-plz-advice.36509/

"As for your query regarding leaving Canada after obtaining your Permanent Residence Cards, please be advised that the Permanent Residence Card is not a travel document, it is an identification document to state your status in Canada. You may use it to get back into the country along with your valid passports. In this case you will have to apply for Canadian Travel Documents at a Canadian High Commission/ Embassy in order to travel back to Canada with your Permanent Residence Card as your passports from Somalia are not recognized by the Government of Canada."

Also, here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob190.asp

"The following are not considered travel documents for the purposes of subsections R50(1) or R52(1):

• Any passport purporting to have been issued by Somalia"
thx Alphazip, i am now in abu dhabi and need to return to canada by 25th november ,what type of application shall i apply to the canadian embassy in abu dhabi, shall i apply for PRTD? i read from cic website that PRTD is for those who dont have PR card yet or lost it and want to travel to canada in my case i have valid pr card till july 2018 but my somali passport is the problem here.
so what type of application shall i apply for ? certificate of identity or PRTD or single journy travel document..?!, i sent the embassy 3 emails since last week without any reply from them?

do u have idea if i can get prtd or sjtd or whatever application they process before 25 november? is there an urgent or emergency application, as i have a new job that i should join by 27 november.

thx

abudhabian

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
The embassy can issue your wife a one-way, one-time use travel document that is valid for travel to Canada.
how to apply for this one time travel document? and how long would it take? is there an online application for this or through a VAC center?
thx natan

rasmy

Nov 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
how to apply for this one time travel document? and how long would it take? is there an online application for this or through a VAC center?
thx natan
Try the Canadian Embassy In UAE. You need to apply for CIN eventually. You can keep your Somali Passport but then i am not sure if the UAE authorities will recognize the CIN issued to you by the Canadian Government. I read somewhere that GCC countries do not recognize CIN and refugee travel documents for the purpose of travel. I may be wrong though.

abudhabian

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
Try the Canadian Embassy In UAE. You need to apply for CIN eventually. You can keep your Somali Passport but then i am not sure if the UAE authorities will recognize the CIN issued to you by the Canadian Government. I read somewhere that GCC countries do not recognize CIN and refugee travel documents for the purpose of travel. I may be wrong though.
I tried to contact them but they are not replying to my emails, and i have only 10 days to return to canada,my airplane ticket is already booked, r u somali? did u lately travel to canada using somali passport plus valid PR card?

rasmy

Nov 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I tried to contact them but they are not replying to my emails, and i have only 10 days to return to canada,my airplane ticket is already booked, r u somali? did u lately travel to canada using somali passport plus valid PR card?
Yes i am but i don 't use Somali passport. The best thing to do will be to visit the Local Canadian consulate or Embassy to apply for a CIN. I am sure the consulate will assist you in this matter.

Ha89

Dec 2, 2019
I am stuck in the same exact situation. Abu Dhabi is where my family is and I am unable to go see them because I don't know how I will come back to Canada. Any help will do. Thanks