Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Dear Seniors,

A relative of mine got the u/mentioned email from CHC after he sent his passports. Having limited knowledge, I chose to ask you, in this august forum, for your expert advice on the following:

1. What is this 'Single-journey Travel Document" (SJTD)?
2. Will the visa on the SJTD be enough for obtaining PR / SIN / Health Cards etc.?
3. Will it create any further 'obstacles' at the POE by the IO/CBSA.
4. What is a 'Canadian Travel Document' to be obtained 'inside' Canada?
5. Will that Canadian Travel Document be like a passport [looks, shape & size]?
6. Will the Canadian Travel Document be again for 'one-time' travel abroad? Or it will have some 'expiry date'?

Quote/
Dear Applicant,

...your passport is not a valid document for travel to Canada, and therefore we are unable to issue a visa in this passport. We can issue you a so-called "single-journey travel document" (SJTD) onto which we can place the visa. This will allow you to travel to Canada for one time only. If you wished to travel outside Canada in future, you would then have to apply for a Canadian "travel document" in Canada.

In order to issue the SJTD, we require your flight details to Canada -in other words a confirmed flight booking -the SJTD will be valid only for 'that' particular flight on 'that' particular date. As soon as you have your flight details please e-mail them to us, and we will then issue the visas and the SJTD.

Sincerely,
Immigration Section/Service d'immigration
High Commission of Canada/Haut-commissariat du Canada

/Unquote

Ps.: Especially Leon, PMM & those who are already inside Canada, I solicit your expertize...
Regards,
Qorax.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

qorax said:
Dear Seniors,

A relative of mine got the u/mentioned email from CHC after he sent his passports. Having limited knowledge, I chose to ask you, in this august forum, for your expert advice on the following:

1. What is this 'Single-journey Travel Document" (SJTD)?
2. Will the visa on the SJTD be enough for obtaining PR / SIN / Health Cards etc.?
3. Will it create any further 'obstacles' at the POE by the IO/CBSA.
4. What is a 'Canadian Travel Document' to be obtained 'inside' Canada?
5. Will that Canadian Travel Document be like a passport [looks, shape & size]?
6. Will the Canadian Travel Document be again for 'one-time' travel abroad? Or it will have some 'expiry date'?

Quote/
Dear Applicant,

...your passport is not a valid document for travel to Canada, and therefore we are unable to issue a visa in this passport. We can issue you a so-called "single-journey travel document" (SJTD) onto which we can place the visa. This will allow you to travel to Canada for one time only. If you wished to travel outside Canada in future, you would then have to apply for a Canadian "travel document" in Canada.

In order to issue the SJTD, we require your flight details to Canada -in other words a confirmed flight booking -the SJTD will be valid only for 'that' particular flight on 'that' particular date. As soon as you have your flight details please e-mail them to us, and we will then issue the visas and the SJTD.

Sincerely,
Immigration Section/Service d'immigration
High Commission of Canada/Haut-commissariat du Canada

/Unquote

Ps.: Especially Leon, PMM & those who are already inside Canada, I solicit your expertize...
Regards,
Qorax.
1. You relatives passport is not usable for Immigration purposes so CIC/CHC will issue a Travel Document which will get them to Canada.
2. The COPR will be affixed to the SJTD and that is what will be used to get the PR card and apply for SIN when the "land"
3. If they want to leave or travel outside Canada, they will require a valid passport from their country of citizenship or apply to the passport office for a travel document see: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/non-cdn/index.aspx?lang=eng
4. It similar to a passport, but give no specific rights and they will need a visa to travel to any other countries and some will not recognize it. They will need a good reason to travel before it is issued.
5. It will have an expiry date.

PMM

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Many thanks PMM,

Spl thanx for that link too. One more ques if u plz:

1. Is that 'Canadian Travel Doc' for 'single use' or can it be used for 'multiple' Entry/Exits?

Regards,
Qorax.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't actually know anything about this but by googling Canadian Travel Document, I ended up at http://www.ppt.gc.ca/pptc/documents.aspx?lang=eng where it says that "The validity period is determined by the issuing office." so I assume it could be good for more than one trip. You can contact Passport Canada and ask them.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Thanks Leon,

Deeply appreciated. Been myself googling along the day, but nothing much is written about the subject main. But, overall got the point from your & PMM's posts.

The lady is now obtaining her a/tkts & requesting CHC to send her the SJTD+Visa. I guess that's what is needed.

Thanks for your prompt replies...

Best regards,
Qorax.

Fuad Mali

Dec 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29/4/2011
AOR Received.
1/6/2011
File Transfer...
1/7/2011
Med's Request
18/10/2012
Med's Done....
28/10/2012
Passport Req..
14/11/2012
VISA ISSUED...
DM with canadian address 17/1/2013
LANDED..........
Aug 2013
Dear Qorax

I am in the same situation. and the CHC has sent me an email explaining to us about SJTD( as the canadian governtment doesnot recognize our passports) and to sent them our flight bookings. I am currently UAE resident.

and I had the same questions as your friend. Iam planning to do my landing in the summer and stay in canada untill we receive our PR cards then I would like to go back to UAE to finish some unfinished business and come back in 6 months to canada for good. However, I would like to know, once I enter canada

1. how can i apply for Canadian Travel Document inside Canada and where?
2. If you know any body who has done the same and was able to travel from and to canada with these documents
3. Did the immigration officers give them a hard time
4. How long it takes to issue this Travel document in Canada

I would really appreciate if you could help me with this matter.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Fuad Mali said:
Dear Qorax

I am in the same situation. and the CHC has sent me an email explaining to us about SJTD( as the canadian governtment doesnot recognize our passports) and to sent them our flight bookings. I am currently UAE resident.

and I had the same questions as your friend. Iam planning to do my landing in the summer and stay in canada untill we receive our PR cards then I would like to go back to UAE to finish some unfinished business and come back in 6 months to canada for good. However, I would like to know, once I enter canada

1. how can i apply for Canadian Travel Document inside Canada and where?
2. If you know any body who has done the same and was able to travel from and to canada with these documents
3. Did the immigration officers give them a hard time
4. How long it takes to issue this Travel document in Canada

I would really appreciate if you could help me with this matter.
Hi,

1. U'd not require a/ny Travel Doc. Once landed, u r Free to exit & enter Canada thru ur PR Cards & ur existing pps (even though it's not recognized here).
2. Yes, I do. The same relative from whom I was initially querying. She has been travelling (many times) since her landing in 2010.
3. No... no questions was ever asked.
4. Ditto as point-1.

BTW, I'm aware that u r a Somalian; for ur peace of mind let me tell u that I know few other Somalians here who r PRs & have been travelling back-n-forth using the Somalian pps (+their PR Cards). However, point to be noted here is that their pps r MRP (the latest one of Somalia, which all Somalian Consulates r now issuing).

NOTE:
a) For ur PR Visa, after u receive ur PPR, u r required to obtain a "firm" a/tkt and send it's copy to ur VO. Since the SJTD is usable for entering only "one time" - u'd be provided ur PR Visa pasted on a SJTD based on the "date of ur travel"... this cannot be disputed/changed... so u'd've to travel on that particular date. When u enter a Canadian post -- the BSO handling ur case will stamp both - the SJTD as well as ur pps; and then follow the same steps as done with anyone else.
b) For that "firm booking date" -- u need to submit ur pps to ur VO, then write to them asking when should u book ur flight. They'd offer u a date (usually a block of 5-7 days) and u should obtain ur a/tkts accordingly.

All the best!

Qorax

Fuad Mali

Dec 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29/4/2011
AOR Received.
1/6/2011
File Transfer...
1/7/2011
Med's Request
18/10/2012
Med's Done....
28/10/2012
Passport Req..
14/11/2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Aug 2013
qorax said:
Hi,

1. U'd not require a/ny Travel Doc. Once landed, u r Free to exit & enter Canada thru ur PR Cards & ur existing pps (even though it's not recognized here).
2. Yes, I do. The same relative from whom I was initially querying. She has been travelling (many times) since her landing in 2010.
4. Ditto as point-1.

BTW, I'm aware that u r a Somalian; for ur peace of mind let me tell u that I know few other Somalians here who r PRs & have been travelling back-n-forth using the Somalian pps (+their PR Cards). However, point to be noted here is that their pps r MRP (the latest one of Somalia, which all Somalian Consulates r now issuing).

NOTE:
a) For ur PR Visa, after u receive ur PPR, u r required to obtain a "firm" a/tkt and send it's copy to ur VO. Since the SJTD is usable for entering only "one time" - u'd be provided ur PR Visa pasted on a SJTD based on the "date of ur travel"... this cannot be disputed/changed... so u'd've to travel on that particular date. When u enter a Canadian post -- the BSO handling ur case will stamp both - the SJTD as well as ur pps; and then follow the same steps as done with anyone else.
b) For that "firm booking date" -- u need to submit ur pps to ur VO, then write to them asking when should u book ur flight. They'd offer u a date (usually a block of 5-7 days) and u should obtain ur a/tkts accordingly.

All the best!

Qorax

Thanks alot senior Qorax

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
qorax said:
Hi,

4. Ditto as point-1.

NOTE:

All the best!

Qorax
hi there qorax and fuad,

I think i will be in same boat as fuad, as i am a somali national myself,and I just sent my ppt just yesterday...so shall i send a cse to lvo informing them about this possible outcome and ask them to suggest a possible flight date in order to make a ticket booking and send them so the process wont take long....i am afraid that it will take them 2 months just to start processing my passport from all the queue,then i found myself asked to book ticket and wait again another 2 months to get the sjtd...please advise..?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Single Journey Travel Document - SJTD (IMM 5565)
It is issued by a Canadian Consulate or Embassy to permanent residents or temporary resident permit holders, under limited and exceptional circumstances, to facilitate a single journey to Canada. Usually it's made for a specific date of travel (to Canada) & if that travel is not made that day it stands invalidated.

Here is it's sample:

The following passports are either Not Recognized OR are Unsuitable for travel to Canada:
1. Any passport claiming to have been issued by Somalia, Albania, Benin and a few other nations;
2. Non-machine readable passports issued by the Czech Republic;
3. Temporary passports issued by the Republic of South Africa; AND
4. Provisional passports issued by Venezuela.

NOTE:
a) The Government of Canada also refuses admission to holders of passports issued by the UK entitled "British Temporary Resident's Passport".
b) Children under 18 years must have their own passports.
c) Once eligible for PR, The Govt. of Canada may issue (paste) the PR Visa for the above passport holders in a SJTD.

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ramzy2277 said:
hi there qorax and fuad,

I think i will be in same boat as fuad, as i am a somali national myself,and I just sent my ppt just yesterday...so shall i send a cse to lvo informing them about this possible outcome and ask them to suggest a possible flight date in order to make a ticket booking and send them so the process wont take long....i am afraid that it will take them 2 months just to start processing my passport from all the queue,then i found myself asked to book ticket and wait again another 2 months to get the sjtd...please advise..?
Ramzy,

Pls write to ur IO intimating him/her about ur pps & "ask" when u could book ur flight, so that they may issue u a SJTD. Yes, u may not like to preempt things... but in which case u r likely to face delays in issuing ur PR Visas... if that matters to u.

Qorax

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
Hi qorax,
Thanks for advise,but in ur reply to fuad u mention block of 7 days ,wat is that, and if i book the tickets for a certain date, and for some reason i want to change is it possible.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ramzy2277 said:
Hi qorax,
Thanks for advise,but in ur reply to fuad u mention block of 7 days ,wat is that, and if i book the tickets for a certain date, and for some reason i want to change is it possible.
When u 'ask' them when u can fly -- they might 'give' u a block of 7-days to "pick a date" for ur booking. Sometime they might also intimate u to book anyday after xyz date.

Qorax

Fuad Mali

Dec 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29/4/2011
AOR Received.
1/6/2011
File Transfer...
1/7/2011
Med's Request
18/10/2012
Med's Done....
28/10/2012
Passport Req..
14/11/2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Aug 2013
qorax said:
When u 'ask' them when u can fly -- they might 'give' u a block of 7-days to "pick a date" for ur booking. Sometime they might also intimate u to book anyday after xyz date.

Qorax
Dear Qorax,

Read below the email from CHC...

''
Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your message. The Government of Canada does not recognize any passport issued by Somalia and the same can not be used to enter Canada. As such, we are unable to insert your permanent residence visas into your current passports. You will be issued with a Single Journey Travel Document which will facilitate your landing in Canada. However, we will require your flight details to be able to issue your Single Journey Travel Documents. Please also note that the flight booking should be at least 60 days in the future in order to allow time for the documents to reach to you. Please be advised that you will be required to travel on the dates your flight will be booked for, you may not be allowed to travel on any other date. Therefore, you must ensure that the date you provide us is the date when you will travel. It would be ideal if you can forward your travel itinerary by email.

Since, the documents will be "single journey" only, you will not be allowed to use these for any other travel. Please also be advised that if you leave Canada on your Somalian passport after landing in Canada, you will not be able to return to Canada after as we do not recognize the Somalian passport, and we will not issue a second single journey travel document.

We note that you are currently living in the United Arab Emirates and may require your passports. If you do, please advise this office, so that your passports can be returned to you. If you do not require your passports, we will return these along with your travel documents.

Please reply to this email as soon as possible if you need your passports so that these can be returned to you.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.
''

So in my case i can choose any date (before my medical expired) to do my landing but i have to book and send my confirmed ticket before atleast 60 days of my landing day to get my SJTD.....is that correct????

Thanks