+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Yeah, fingers crossed for you. Is there a way you can track?
I am waiting to see my CC gets charged, which would show there is some progress in my file. Other than that, update requests give you generic responses like "file is still under examination" until the file is approved :rolleyes:

• Sad
Reactions: vvarma

Rabia_Athar

Dec 6, 2020
I went to Kitchener this morning. Very simple process.

Definitely recommend being there early before it opens. I got there at 8:15 and was out by 9:15.

Urgent processing so will be ready next Wednesday.
What supporting documents u provided in order to show the urgency??

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
On March 2nd, I filled out the online request for a passport appointment, 4 days later (Sunday late evening!) I got a call to schedule it.
The lady said that the closest appointment available was for March 26 for Vancouver downtown (where I live). Considering my flight was for 31st March and before that I needed to apply for Visa, she arranged a call-back from the local Passport office. So, 2 days later (today) I was called back and given an appointment for March 14 morning at the Richmond office, since Vancouver is super busy. I was told that I should be able to apply under express and get the passport by end of that same week - how much of this statement turns out true remains to be seen. Pick up would be from Vancouver office though.

Interestingly, I have yet to receive my Certificate in the mail o_O
Update:
My Passport application experience @ Richmond:
1) As per my earlier post above, my appointment was pre-scheduled @ 10.30 AM today. I arrived at 10.20 at building lobby area.
2) I skipped all the queues and walked straight to the check in counter (labelled Passport + Biometrics). They had my name printed on their Appointment sheet and the guard informed that I will need to wait for 30 minutes. (I saw 1 person who had an appointment, but their names were not on their sheet, and were still accommodated with us)
3) Then I stood in the queue for fixed appointments - there were 6-7 people ahead of me. (There was a separate queue for Walk-ins/Service Canada which was LONG - approx. 25-30 people and their line barely moved, only 2 people taken in while I was waiting)
4) In 30 minutes my name was called and I was given a token by the guard, had to orally affirm that I have no COVID-stuff and then was sent to the 3rd floor.
5) 3rd floor is their actual office - another security guard confirmed my name + token and immediately sent me to a vacant screening counter (there were 2 with on-duty staff)
6) Screening took like 5 mins. I was given another token receipt and was told to take a seat for my number to be announced by one of the Passport counters (there seemed to be 4 staffed counters out of 10+)
7) After 10-15 minutes I was called by one of the Officer. Scanned my original DL, Citizenship Cert and my flight tickets. Returned all of them back to me. Paid $210 (Express). I was asked by what date I needed the Passport, I requested 17th and they gave me a receipt for pick-up on 17th. Pick up is from Vancouver (Sinclair) from early morning to afternoon. I was told that for some reason, Passport Canada has a deluge of pickups this week so I might need to wait in queue during my pickup.
8) Very helpful officers - both Pre-screening who actually congratulated me on acquiring Citizenship + the officer.
9) I was out of the office by 11.15 - Overall I was in and out in less than an hour.

Last edited:

berabad

Jan 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2016
AOR Received.
23-02-2016
File Transfer...
23-02-2016
Med's Done....
26-02-2016
Passport Req..
23-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2016
LANDED..........
11-01-2017
Just want to share my experience today as a walk-in applicant at Service Canada close to Kipling Go Station in Toronto:
1) Initially I filled up a web form for appointment on March 10, I waited till yesterday March 14, but I didn't get any call for appointment
2) I decided to try my luck for walk-in today March 15. I went to Service Canada at 8:40AM and there's already a long line for walk-in. I think I was 15th in the line. Some are getting SIN, some are applying for EI, some are for passport renewal. I think I'm the only one applying for new passport. I didn't have any upcoming travel, I don't have flight ticket, but the security didn't ask me. She just asked if I'm willing to wait and I said yes.
3) At 10:45AM I was asked to come inside, the front desk lady checked my requirements, checked me in, and asked me to sit and wait for a bit more to be called.
4) After 10 mins, I was called. The gentleman looked at my documents, and photocopied my citizenship certificate and my health card. I paid for the 10 year passport of $160. He didn't ask for any flight ticket.
5) Before I go, he printed the payment receipt for $160 and receipt for passport service. It contains the expected date when I'm going to receive my new passport which will be April 14, 2022. He said it will be mailed to me via registered mail.
6) I'm done by 11ish AM

Overall, despite the very long wait, it was a great experience! Everyone one appears to be friendly and professional over there. If I am to choose between mail-in versus in-person, I would definitely choose in-person because I don't want to part ways with my original documents. I tend to be neurotic LOL! It took me nearly two years (April 2020 citizenship applicant) to get to this point to think about losing my citizenship certificate. With in-person, I went home with my certificate :)

Last edited:

Psych

Star Member
Dec 15, 2020
Thanks for your feedback.
From my understanding, you could walk in at Service Canada locations and no flight ticket is required as these are for normal processing time passport applications ?

berabad

Jan 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2016
AOR Received.
23-02-2016
File Transfer...
23-02-2016
Med's Done....
26-02-2016
Passport Req..
23-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2016
LANDED..........
11-01-2017
Thanks for your feedback.
From my understanding, you could walk in at Service Canada locations and no flight ticket is required as these are for normal processing time passport applications ?
That's right, in my case, I don't have flight ticket. But I am expecting my passport to be received a month from now, which is fine because I have no travel plans yet. They will expedite it if you can show proof that you are travelling sooner.

Service Canada can accommodate walk-in nowadays.

kzaman

May 31, 2015
Any idea as to what's the average time to receive a phone call after you fill the service Canada webform for in-person appointment? It says 2 business days on their website but it's already been 3 days for me.

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Any idea as to what's the average time to receive a phone call after you fill the service Canada webform for in-person appointment? It says 2 business days on their website but it's already been 3 days for me.
I received it on the 4th day, which was a Sunday late evening

vladikim

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
30-08-2016, AOR2 - 16-09-2016
Med's Done....
06-07-2016
Just picked up my passport from Vancouver downtown office. To my surprise, the line wasn’t as long as I expected. When I was applying for my passport a few days ago, the line to pick up passports was very long and slow. Today, I was In and out within 10 minutes, there were only few people before me. Finally done!

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Just picked up my passport from Vancouver downtown office. To my surprise, the line wasn’t as long as I expected. When I was applying for my passport a few days ago, the line to pick up passports was very long and slow. Today, I was In and out within 10 minutes, there were only few people before me. Finally done!
Hi - I have to pickup from this same place tomorrow. Good to know it didn't take long. What time you went today? 11ish?

vladikim

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
30-08-2016, AOR2 - 16-09-2016
Med's Done....
06-07-2016
Hi - I have to pickup from this same place tomorrow. Good to know it didn't take long. What time you went today? 11ish?
Yes, I was there exactly at 11. The officer who was processing my file, marked on my receipt 11:00 am pick up

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Yes, I was there exactly at 11. The officer who was processing my file, marked on my receipt 11:00 am pick up
Interesting. I did ask my officer about the exact time of pick up and he said 9am - 3.30pm. No exact time was provided. Thats strange.

yma981

Dec 21, 2010
Visa Office......
Lebanon
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
24-02-2012
Med's Done....
05-03-2012
Passport Req..
25-07-2013
i applied for my child today in person at service Canada branch Montreal, it will be issue the 13th of April and is supposed to arrive on 22nd of April

Reactions: Kornet

raaj051

Star Member
Feb 20, 2021
Hey guys, update.

I applied for passport for express pick up in scarborough location, I did walk in. I was at the line at 8:30am and done at 9:20am.
Hi Dear, Did you book appointment before go to Scarborough location or this is just walk-in ?

Reactions: Kornet