+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Applied for my passport yesterday in Vancouver. Had an appointment, but still had to wait for about 1.5 hour to finish everything. Honestly, I don’t get whats the point of making an appointment if you still have to wait. On the other hand, I guess it gives you an advantage that they will take your docs for sure. There were people who didn’t have an appointment and some of them were waiting since morning (my appointment was at 2:15 pm). They let those people in only after there was one with appointment (last appointment slot is at 2:30).

The officer ask for a proof travel, I gave it to him and he scanned it. Since my trip is in 14 days, he said they will mail it to me, but he didn’t recommend it since it might be too close to my travel dates. So he offered to pick it up in person for extra $20, which I agreed on (I don’t trust Canada post since they lost my citizenship certificate). I also asked for an express service, which I paid an extra $50. The passport will be ready for pick up on Wednesday.
I guess you applied at Sinclair? Its notorious for long wait times and rude staff. Check out their google reviews. I was lucky I was not given at Sinclair even though I live 10 mins walk from there. Instead I have a Monday appointment at Richmond, which thankfully has better reviews. Will find out soon - fingers crossed.

vladikim

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
30-08-2016, AOR2 - 16-09-2016
Med's Done....
06-07-2016
I guess you applied at Sinclair? Its notorious for long wait times and rude staff. Check out their google reviews. I was lucky I was not given at Sinclair even though I live 10 mins walk from there. Instead I have a Monday appointment at Richmond, which thankfully has better reviews. Will find out soon - fingers crossed.
Right, that’s the one. I was initially offered a surrey location, which is closer to me but Vancouver one was the soonest one. You are right about long wait time there, even the line for pick up was very long and super slow. I’m Already mentally preparing for a long wait to pick up my passport

Reactions: Kornet

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
You still need a travel proof to apply for in-person? I think they dropped this requirement on March 1st, didn't they?
Thats correct - if you apply via Passport Canada. No proof required for Service Canada walk-ins. Which is good...atleast we dont have to ship out the originals anymore. Plus it really speeds up on Passport delivery.

Last edited:

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Thats correct. Which is good...atleast we dont have to ship out the originals anymore. Plus it really speeds up on Passport delivery.
Not for me, though. I already mailed my application. I wanted to apply in-person, but I wasn't eligible based on my travel plans situations.

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Right, that’s the one. I was initially offered a surrey location, which is closer to me but Vancouver one was the soonest one. You are right about long wait time there, even the line for pick up was very long and super slow. I’m Already mentally preparing for a long wait to pick up my passport
OMG, now you have scared me, because Pick up for Richmond is only through centralized Sinclair. I was under the assumption that Pick up would be like walkin-collect-leave at Vancouver! How long do you think will it take to pick up in that queue? I have already taken a break on Monday...taking another break for pick up - my boss will kill me :(

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Not for me, though. I already mailed my application. I wanted to apply in-person, but I wasn't eligible based on my travel plans situations.
Apologies. I mis-typed earlier. Corrected my original post. I need to clarify:
Passport Canada = You need an appointment, which in turn is given if you travel within 25 business days with proof (tickets)
Service Canada = No proof required for Service Canada walk-ins.

Psych

Star Member
Dec 15, 2020
Any idea what is the actual delivery time when you apply through Service Canada, without any travel urgency ?

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
So, applying through service Canada is basically like mailing your application in terms of processing times?
From this forum I have seen people waiting for 45-60+ days for mail-in. I feel Service Canada most likely will stick to their targeted time-lines.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
From this forum I have seen people waiting for 45-60+ days for mail-in. I feel Service Canada most likely will stick to their targeted time-lines.
What :eek: ? 60+ days? In 2 weeks I will withdraw my application if I don't receive my passport. I sent it in-mail 3 weeks ago. This would be insane to wait 2 months for the passport. I am following the in-mail thread, and although some people waited for 2 months, I think most people get it in 5 weeks. Let's see. Fingers crossed.

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
What :eek: ? 60+ days? In 2 weeks I will withdraw my application if I don't receive my passport. I sent it in-mail 3 weeks ago. This would be insane to wait 2 months for the passport. I am following the in-mail thread, and although some people waited for 2 months, I think most people get it in 5 weeks. Let's see. Fingers crossed.
Yeah, fingers crossed for you. Is there a way you can track?