+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Permanent Residency status - Retaining PR

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
@scylla:
In addition to the information Leon has provided, since this is the poster's own the company, CIC will say this company was created for the primary purpose of helping the poster meet residency obligations and will therefore say the days outside of Canada don't count.
This is pure speculation. We don't know the company nor the purpose why it was established.

@Leon:
See the last sentence of 6.5. It says he must be posted to a full time permanent position outside Canada so according to that, business trips will not be counted. That is unless he claims that he is posted full time to the country where he spends most his time and that country isn't Canada because if he can not meet the requirements of 2/5 years, he is obviously spending more than half the year somewhere else.
We don;t know much about the company and why the person is frequently abroad. Nonetheless, I'm quite certain that there are circumstances that allow you to be abroad for a longer time. Business trips could be based on a project as well. For example, you have a consulting company and your Canadian client sends you on a long-term project abroad. This is contract based and full-time and would qualify you under 6.5.

MMSMandy

Aug 25, 2011
Hello!
I made a short landing in Canada and applied for my and my family's PR Cards and we have given my friends address in Canada for mailing the PR Cards but still the cards are not received. We stayed in Canada for 16 days and then returned back. Many people say that we have to return back to Canada within six months otherwise the PR Cards may gets cancelled. It is not possible to return within that short time because my children are studying here and they cannot quit the studies in the middle as the credits are not given there for the studies done here back home.

Please guide me as to within how much time can I return back to Canada after my first landing?

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
Hi
There is no such returning time restriction. You can use your Landing papers (and Travel document) to re-enter Canada (if no PR card). Preferable to return in the time period that will allow you to meet the Residency requirement (I.e. at least 2 years before PR expiry)

gagan_grover

Apr 10, 2013
Hello-
The 5 year cycle to retain our Canadian PR status kick started on January 1, 2012. Though we (me and my wife) got our PR cards, but we haven’t started physically staying in Canada yet. We are still working in US on an H1B visa for our respective US employers.
My wife works for a reputed IT company who has offices all across the globe. Though it’s primarily a US corporation, but they do have a fully owned subsidiary registered in Canada. If my wife is employed by the Canadian subsidiary company (i.e. salaried employee through a Canadian firm) and is further deputed to work in US on a full time project, then does the time spent in US will count towards the required minimum two years of stay in Canada? Please advise!

Crita

Oct 1, 2014
Hi
I hopesomeone can help me.
I am a Permanent resident in canada, and I am working with a canadian organization in international development. My work requires from me to travel to many countries in order to support the communities there and build their capacities. I am a full time employee in Canada travel to support these communities for about 70%. will my absence days will me counted to renew my PR. i know that i need 730 day in canada but due to my work i will not be able to have a physical presence inside canada for this amount of time.
Can someone advise please
Regards
Crita

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Crita said:
Hi
I hopesomeone can help me.
I am a Permanent resident in canada, and I am working with a canadian organization in international development. My work requires from me to travel to many countries in order to support the communities there and build their capacities. I am a full time employee in Canada travel to support these communities for about 70%. will my absence days will me counted to renew my PR. i know that i need 730 day in canada but due to my work i will not be able to have a physical presence inside canada for this amount of time.
Can someone advise please
Regards
Crita
If you were hired from Canada by a Canadian employer whom requires that you travel then yes you can count those days towards the 730 days.

HHH2000

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
gagan_grover said:
Hello-
The 5 year cycle to retain our Canadian PR status kick started on January 1, 2012. Though we (me and my wife) got our PR cards, but we haven't started physically staying in Canada yet. We are still working in US on an H1B visa for our respective US employers.
My wife works for a reputed IT company who has offices all across the globe. Though it's primarily a US corporation, but they do have a fully owned subsidiary registered in Canada. If my wife is employed by the Canadian subsidiary company (i.e. salaried employee through a Canadian firm) and is further deputed to work in US on a full time project, then does the time spent in US will count towards the required minimum two years of stay in Canada? Please advise!
The Simple answer to your question is "No"

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
CanV said:
If you were hired from Canada by a Canadian employer whom requires that you travel then yes you can count those days towards the 730 days.
You can not count business travel days outside of Canada toward your PR RO. You can only count the days if you are transferred outside of Canada on a permanent basis and even then it really depends on the business in Canada. But for travel, no bueno.

Crita

Oct 1, 2014
CanV said:
thank you for your reply CanV!
i am a little bit confused, cause i called CITIZENSHIP & immigration canada before i signed my contract and the guy said yes it will be counted and now i called again to make as my missions are becoming longer & more and the girl that answered said that I have to be employed outside of canada on a full time basis by a canadian employer. (what is te difference to be employed in canada and required and assigned for small missions ro to be full time outside.) she sent me the following:
Residency Obligations for Permanent Residents

To keep your permanent resident status in Canada, you must respect the residency obligation. This means that you must be physically present in Canada for at least two years in a five year period. This two year period does not necessarily have to be continuous. An officer may verify if you meet the residency obligation when you re-enter Canada, when you apply for a Permanent Resident Card or when you apply for Canadian Citizenship.

Time spent outside Canada may also count towards meeting the residency obligation if you are:
•accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse or common-law partner;
•a *child travelling with a parent (father or mother) who is a Canadian citizen;
•an employee of, or under contract to, a Canadian business or the public service of Canada or of a province and you are assigned on a full-time basis to:•a position outside Canada;
•an affiliated enterprise outside Canada; or
•a client of the Canadian business or the public service outside Canada;

•accompanying your spouse or common-law partner who is a permanent resident and is employed on a full-time basis by:•a Canadian business;
•in the public service of Canada; or
•of a province;

•a child travelling with a parent (father or mother) who is a permanent resident and who is employed on a full-time basis by:•a Canadian business;
•in the public service of Canada; or
•a province.

*A child is someone under the age of 19 who has never been married or in a common-law relationship.

Please advise what should I do?

Crita

Oct 1, 2014
Alurra71 said:
You can not count business travel days outside of Canada toward your PR RO. You can only count the days if you are transferred outside of Canada on a permanent basis and even then it really depends on the business in Canada. But for travel, no bueno.
So they will not let me renew my PR in this case?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As others have said, to count the days outside of Canada towards your residency requirement you must be transferred to a permanent role outside of Canada. Unfortunately business travel doesn't count (even if the trips are long).

Do you think your employer would be willing to transfer you to a permanent role outside of Canada?

Crita

Oct 1, 2014
in my current role I am assigned to support two countries in africa and that's were I have to travel most of the time, i dont have to live there but my role is clear to support and build the capacity of the local office there. I dont want to loose my Job but also i dont wanna loose my right to renew the PR and than have the citizenship. What is the best way in my case to do. If i quit my Job now and i stay till end of my PR expire date I will count 728 days. but if i stayed in this job i will have to travel more and more. is there any letter from my company that can help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - a letter from your company won't help unfortunately. Again, to count the days you would need to be permanently transferred to a position outside of Canada.