+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I withdraw my Refugee Claim and apply under different category?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for all infos, today I’ve received interview on call letter through IRCC portal, I have to go for interview in 2 weeks in Etobicoke. I know the score in a draw is so high and I haven’t any chance right now although they may open more space for more ppl. Anyway I should wait for interview result, I’ll share it again here and hope not giving me removal.
Interview isn’t a hearing. Could be 2 years before you get a hearing. The fact that you would consider returning to your home country raises concerns that your reasons for needing asylum are not very strong. Are you trying to immigrate and thought or were told that asylum is an easy way to remain in Canada? I know there has been a lot of false information in certain countries, like India, where people have been counselled to come to Canada and claim asylum and you’ll be able to remain in Canada and will receive enough benefits to easily live in Canada. This isn’t the case but there has been a large influx of Indians arriving to claim asylum in the past few years who seem to have been duped into selling their belongings thinking that their stay in Canada is guaranteed. It seems that you had explored express entry before. Do you have strong reasons for asylum and the associated proof? Have you looked to see if you qualify for all the express entry programs? Have you ever spent time working or studying in Canada or was your recent arrival your only entry?

Mitti

Star Member
Nov 3, 2022
Interview isn’t a hearing. Could be 2 years before you get a hearing. The fact that you would consider returning to your home country raises concerns that your reasons for needing asylum are not very strong. Are you trying to immigrate and thought or were told that asylum is an easy way to remain in Canada? I know there has been a lot of false information in certain countries, like India, where people have been counselled to come to Canada and claim asylum and you’ll be able to remain in Canada and will receive enough benefits to easily live in Canada. This isn’t the case but there has been a large influx of Indians arriving to claim asylum in the past few years who seem to have been duped into selling their belongings thinking that their stay in Canada is guaranteed. It seems that you had explored express entry before. Do you have strong reasons for asylum and the associated proof? Have you looked to see if you qualify for all the express entry programs? Have you ever spent time working or studying in Canada or was your recent arrival your only entry?
Im not Indian and I’ve been in Canada for 3 years. studying, working and paying tax. I’m not looking for any financial help as a refugee. right now due to the bad situation of my country I can’t go back. I’ve never had any plan to become refugee but I had no choice bcos they may take my passport and arrest me in the airport due some protests that I’ve been attended in Canada against my brutal regime. Yes I’m in express entry pool for almost 9 months. score 460.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Im not Indian and I’ve been in Canada for 3 years. studying, working and paying tax. I’m not looking for any financial help as a refugee. right now due to the bad situation of my country I can’t go back. I’ve never had any plan to become refugee but I had no choice bcos they may take my passport and arrest me in the airport due some protests that I’ve been attended in Canada against my brutal regime. Yes I’m in express entry pool for almost 9 months. score 460.
Please explore PNP as well since there's quite a low chance of an invite through EE directly with a score of 460. Or significantly increase your score through learning French, etc.

If you end up getting an invite or nomination, your current status in Canada is an issue and you'll need to withdraw your refugee claim and leave before you submit the application. The challenge with this is that this typically means you have to return back to your home country. Typically travel to a third country isn't possible in this situation. Also keep in mind that you may have to be outside of Canada for a couple of years while the PR application is processed and you should expect you won't be able to return to Canada during this time (not until your PR application is approved).

Ultimately it will be easier if your refugee claim is accepted and you get PR through that path. I would focus on this and prepare well for the interview. The economic immigration path is quite complicated for you since you have claimed refugee status. Good luck regardless of what happens.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately you no longer qualify for express entry if you claim asylum. Once you claim asylum you are left without the option to apply for most other pathways to PR. If you had studied and worked you should have tried to extend your WP versus claim asylum.

hervet

Star Member
Nov 28, 2022
Unfortunately you no longer qualify for express entry if you claim asylum. Once you claim asylum you are left without the option to apply for most other pathways to PR. If you had studied and worked you should have tried to extend your WP versus claim asylum.
I had a good job in my country, I didn’t need to apply for any of the Canadian immigration programs. I visited only France and Usa. But I have never been interested to come to Canada. I came as I had no option. I could not stay in the USA since it’s difficult to claim asylum there. Anyway I am honest and positive . I have proof of the persecution in my country. I read in a forum that being persecuted for having protected or defended a social group like LGBTQI makes you in some extent part of it and makes you eligible for asylum now all depends on how you can clearly demonstrate

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had a good job in my country, I didn’t need to apply for any of the Canadian immigration programs. I visited only France and Usa. But I have never been interested to come to Canada. I came as I had no option. I could not stay in the USA since it’s difficult to claim asylum there. Anyway I am honest and positive . I have proof of the persecution in my country. I read in a forum that being persecuted for having protected or defended a social group like LGBTQI makes you in some extent part of it and makes you eligible for asylum now all depends on how you can clearly demonstrate
The fact that you were in both France and US does actually mean you had options. As you said in your application you chose to cross into Canada because you felt that it was easier to gain asylum in Canada Vs the US. Nobody can guess what the outcome of your application will be. You asked whether being LGBTQIA+ would have made your case stronger and the answer is yes. You should be asking your lawyer about your case. Nobody can determine from posts on a forum how strong your case for asylum will be.

hervet

Star Member
Nov 28, 2022
The fact that you were in both France and US does actually mean you had options. As you said in your application you chose to cross into Canada because you felt that it was easier to gain asylum in Canada Vs the US. Nobody can guess what the outcome of your application will be. You asked whether being LGBTQIA+ would have made your case stronger and the answer is yes. You should be asking your lawyer about your case. Nobody can determine from posts on a forum how strong your case for asylum will be.
I discussed with a lawyer in the USA and he told me the story makes a good asylum case in the usa and the related evidences as well since, we as human can never tolerate any form of injustice and defending the LGBTQI is a form of fighting against injustice. He advised me to claim asylum in the USA but I told him that I would appreciate to do it in Canada and he said he is not qualified in the Canadian asylum procedures, that’s why I asked a question in the group. Anyway there is no way to move backwards. I will find a lawyer and discuss with him regarding this.

nirjhoroliver

Star Member
Feb 3, 2022
Don’t withdraw your asylum claim, face the situation. If you withdraw the only outcome is you getting deported with no possibility of claiming asylum someday in Canada and with less than 10 percent of chance to be granted any Canadian visa in the future. Wait for the outcome from CBSA and if you are judged finally to be inadmissible before you get deported you will ask for pre removal assessment. Mean while try to apply for some benefits from local social services in your province. Most important thing don’t withdraw your claim. Unless you don’t want to stay in Canada and don’t wanna come back later
For me, I don't want to come back, It's very difficult to survive alone.....

Apr 13, 2023
Hi
Please reply
I want to asked something. One year ago, In canada I have apply refugee file and after when I get my hearing before 20 days I have withdrawal my case so what are the outcomes?? How long I can stay in canada?? Any ban?? Or can I apply LMI?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi
Please reply
I want to asked something. One year ago, In canada I have apply refugee file and after when I get my hearing before 20 days I have withdrawal my case so what are the outcomes?? How long I can stay in canada?? Any ban?? Or can I apply LMI?
Withdrawing the application triggers the departure order. You need to make plans to leave quickly or the departure order becomes a deportation order. You have 30 days to leave Canada before this happens.

I assume you are asking about an LMIA? The answer is no. You cannot apply for an LMIA / work permit. This is because you are out of status in Canada. You must leave Canada.

Apr 13, 2023
Withdrawing the application triggers the departure order. You need to make plans to leave quickly or the departure order becomes a deportation order. You have 30 days to leave Canada before this happens.

I assume you are asking about an LMIA? The answer is no. You cannot apply for an LMIA / work permit. This is because you are out of status in Canada. You must leave Canada.

Apr 13, 2023
But I have withdrawal my application in January and I didn’t get any notice from immigration and there is no criminal records here then why leave Canada??
I didn’t even mention the reason of withdrawing my case.
Can Immigration give me time to stay more???
And what is time period?? One year?? Month??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But I have withdrawal my application in January and I didn’t get any notice from immigration and there is no criminal records here then why leave Canada??
I didn’t even mention the reason of withdrawing my case.
Can Immigration give me time to stay more???
And what is time period?? One year?? Month??
Withdrawing your application triggers a deportation order. You signed a deportation document when you applied for asylum that is put on hold while you apply for asylum. You have been without status in Canada since January. Without status there is no pathway for economic immigration or usually WP or SPs from within Canada

Apr 13, 2023
Ohh but I am still working with company in my SIN number so What are the outcomes now??
Can I apply LMIA in india in future??
How much I have time here??
Before they issued permit for 2years

Salshe

Aug 1, 2022
Ontario
Category........
Other
Ohh but I am still working with company in my SIN number so What are the outcomes now??
Can I apply LMIA in india in future??
How much I have time here??
Before they issued permit for 2years
-Dose the company know you withdraw your application ?, and you don’t have status in Canada! I assume no , so that’s why the didn’t tell anything!
-you need to leave Canada long ago.
-the WP becomes void once you don’t have a status in canada.