+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I sponsor the newborn later after sponsoring my husband?

jasminezxm

Feb 9, 2012
I sponsored my husband a year ago. We just got the passport request.
But we are planning to deliver the baby in US ( a few months later), due to some family reason. In this case, I need to sponsor my newborn. Should my husband land first and then we sponsor the baby inland when we back to Canada?
or should my husband wait till the baby is delivered and we add the baby to his application?

Zarilenth

Oct 18, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2014
File Transfer...
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2014; COPR received 27-06-2014
LANDED..........
30-07-2014
jasminezxm said:
I sponsored my husband a year ago. We just got the passport request.
But we are planning to deliver the baby in US ( a few months later), due to some family reason. In this case, I need to sponsor my newborn. Should my husband land first and then we sponsor the baby inland when we back to Canada?
or should my husband wait till the baby is delivered and we add the baby to his application?
If you're a Canadian Citizen wouldn't your infant be a Canadian Citizen as well, no matter where it's born?

propain

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you can file for the baby once your back.

who knows by then if your process is done, things are easier then

jasminezxm

Feb 9, 2012
Isn't that a restriction about how many people a PR can sponsor? I thought after I sponsr my husband, I won't be able to sponsor anybody within a few years... isn't that true?

propain said:
you can file for the baby once your back.

who knows by then if your process is done, things are easier then

propain

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you dont have to technically sponsor right.

your offspring would be naturalized automatically upon birth

fandv

Aug 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
CPC-M: None. Singapore: 25 Apr 2013
File Transfer...
17 Apr 2013
Med's Request
2nd request: 5 Feb 2014
Med's Done....
1st: 12 Dec 2012. 2nd: 11 Feb 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14 Feb 2014 and also e-CAS changed to "In Process" on that day. Passport got to Singapore: 12 Mar '14
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made on eCAS: 12 April 2014. Visa n COPR issued 8 April 2014, received 16 May 2014.
LANDED..........
20 May 2014. PR card arrived on 29 July 2014.
jasminezxm said:
Isn't that a restriction about how many people a PR can sponsor? I thought after I sponsr my husband, I won't be able to sponsor anybody within a few years... isn't that true?
No, it's your husband who wouldn't be able to sponsor another spouse within 5 years since he became PR.

fandv

Aug 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
CPC-M: None. Singapore: 25 Apr 2013
File Transfer...
17 Apr 2013
Med's Request
2nd request: 5 Feb 2014
Med's Done....
1st: 12 Dec 2012. 2nd: 11 Feb 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14 Feb 2014 and also e-CAS changed to "In Process" on that day. Passport got to Singapore: 12 Mar '14
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made on eCAS: 12 April 2014. Visa n COPR issued 8 April 2014, received 16 May 2014.
LANDED..........
20 May 2014. PR card arrived on 29 July 2014.
propain said:
you dont have to technically sponsor right.

your offspring would be naturalized automatically upon birth
Yes, but only if the baby's born in Canada (the baby would automatically become a Canadian citizen). But the OP said she planned to deliver the baby in the US though...

marlasinger

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
Doc's Request.
16-07-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
File Transfer...
18-03-2014
Med's Done....
13-01-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-10-2014 Decision Made..:29-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2014
LANDED..........
29-01-2015
seems like it would be much easier to have the baby in canada, then it would have dual citizenship and health care coverage and you wouldn't need to sponsor. but if that unfortunately isn't an option, if you're applying for your husband outland, it might be easier to just add the child to that application unless you're almost done with that process.

since you're not a canadian citizen you'd have to be back in canada before you could send off the application for child. and if you sponsor the child separately, you'll need to apply outland since minor's can't be sponsored inland. the child would need a visitor permit for the 6 months, extend it when you need to, and you might also consider getting the baby traveller's insurance or private health insurance so he/she can have health care in Canada. good luck.

jasminezxm

Feb 9, 2012
Thanks a lot for the detail information!

My husband's applicaiton is almost done. The Ecase is "Decision made".

So " minor's can't be sponsored inland", really?? If that is the case, I have to add the baby to my husband's application then...

marlasinger said:
seems like it would be much easier to have the baby in canada, then it would have dual citizenship and health care coverage and you wouldn't need to sponsor. but if that unfortunately isn't an option, if you're applying for your husband outland, it might be easier to just add the child to that application unless you're almost done with that process.

since you're not a canadian citizen you'd have to be back in canada before you could send off the application for child. and if you sponsor the child separately, you'll need to apply outland since minor's can't be sponsored inland. the child would need a visitor permit for the 6 months, extend it when you need to, and you might also consider getting the baby traveller's insurance or private health insurance so he/she can have health care in Canada. good luck.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jasminezxm said:
So " minor's can't be sponsored inland", really?? If that is the case, I have to add the baby to my husband's application then...
You can't add a baby into application until the baby is actually born.

If your husband gets COPR it will have an expiry date on it, which he must land by. If the baby isn't born before that time, then your husband will have to land anyways.

Also keep in mind as a PR, you need to be residing in Canada while any outland app is in progress.

jasminezxm

Feb 9, 2012
What is COPR? CIC is asking us if there will be any chagne (e.g. baby born) before my husbnd becomes PR. If no change, he can send his passport. He has not submitted his passport yet.

I may take maternity / prenatal leave for 6 months... Should I tell CIC and ask their advice?

Rob_TO said:
You can't add a baby into application until the baby is actually born.

If your husband gets COPR it will have an expiry date on it, which he must land by. If the baby isn't born before that time, then your husband will have to land anyways.

Also keep in mind as a PR, you need to be residing in Canada while any outland app is in progress.