+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I sponsor the newborn later after sponsoring my husband?

marlasinger

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
Doc's Request.
16-07-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
File Transfer...
18-03-2014
Med's Done....
13-01-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-10-2014 Decision Made..:29-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2014
LANDED..........
29-01-2015
jasminezxm said:
Thanks a lot for the detail information!

My husband's applicaiton is almost done. The Ecase is "Decision made".

So " minor's can't be sponsored inland", really?? If that is the case, I have to add the baby to my husband's application then...
No problem :) You can sponsor the child on it's own outland application. Since he/she would be a US citizen the baby can come to Canada for up to 6 months then you can apply for an extended temporary resident visa for him/her while you're waiting for the PR application to be approved. Since your husband's application is on "decision made" I don't think you have any time to add the child to the application, especially since it's not born yet. If you're taking mat-leave in the US for 6 months, you wouldn't be able to apply for your child until you return to Canada. And you'd have to stay in Canada during the application process. Just something to keep in mind. If your mat-leave would be in Canada, it doesn't matter.

COPR is your "confirmation of permanent residency". It's the form that is issued so your husband can land in Canada. It usually has an expiry date on it - your husband has to land by this date. Being a PR yourself, I'm sure you had one. It's possible your husband had his COPR issued without a passport request based on the copies included in the application if he's a US citizen. Sometimes that happens. You can always call CIC and find out what they think.