+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i process for PR instead of Student Visa

vikris81

Sep 26, 2012
Hi Folks,

I am from India and I got my PhD admission in McGill, Can i apply for PR instead of student visa?

looking forward for your advise.

Regards,
Vijay

canadaforsure

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PR takes longer time than study visa but with PR you would not pay your fees as an international student. Would the school wait for you to process your PR which I think is on hold for now.

vikris81

Sep 26, 2012
canadaforsure said:
PR takes longer time than study visa but with PR you would not pay your fees as an international student. Would the school wait for you to process your PR which I think is on hold for now.
Thanks canadaforsure!! Is there any possibility to apply for PR while pursuing my PhD in Canada?

sue_in

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
15-09-2012 (Band 8 )
File Transfer...
03-10-2012
Med's Done....
25-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2012
vikris81 said:
Hi Folks,

I am from India and I got my PhD admission in McGill, Can i apply for PR instead of student visa?

looking forward for your advise.

Regards,
Vijay
Hi,

I put up the same question to my prof. He said better come on study permit as it would be faster and you can go for PR next year. The only benefit is the money I'd have got was in the tuition fees but then in my admission letter it was mentioned that differential tuition fee was waived for me. So its all the same :) I'd say, go on study permit and apply for PR next year..I have no clue however about the procedure to go about it.

vikris81

Sep 26, 2012
sue_in said:
Hi,

I put up the same question to my prof. He said better come on study permit as it would be faster and you can go for PR next year. The only benefit is the money I'd have got was in the tuition fees but then in my admission letter it was mentioned that differential tuition fee was waived for me. So its all the same :) I'd say, go on study permit and apply for PR next year..I have no clue however about the procedure to go about it.
Thanks Sue_in for your information. Congratulation!! In another post you have mentioned that you got your admission conformed. My specialization is in Experimental Surgery.

Have you initiated your visa process?? can you provide details?

sue_in

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
15-09-2012 (Band 8 )
File Transfer...
03-10-2012
Med's Done....
25-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2012
vikris81 said:
Thanks Sue_in for your information. Congratulation!! In another post you have mentioned that you got your admission conformed. My specialization is in Experimental Surgery.

Have you initiated your visa process?? can you provide details?
Woah! Experimental Surgery..so you are a doc already! Thanks. I plan to send in my application on Oct 3 from VFS New Delhi. Feel free to ask whatever you need. But I can only tell you what I know :)

vikris81

Sep 26, 2012
sue_in said:
Woah! Experimental Surgery..so you are a doc already! Thanks. I plan to send in my application on Oct 3 from VFS New Delhi. Feel free to ask whatever you need. But I can only tell you what I know :)
How are you processed your visa application? i mean have you done it on your own or processed through consultancy? i am waiting for hard copy of my confirmation letter from university.

porche

Star Member
Sep 17, 2012
punjab
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
7 bands
hey could u plz help me..i too want to pursue Ph.d..wat's d procedure for dat..a consultancy told me dat applying for Phd will take a longer time so i should go for some master's degree instead of dat..i have already done M.B.A n hve got 7 bands in Ielts..do i need to clear GMAT/GRE as well????

sue_in

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
15-09-2012 (Band 8 )
File Transfer...
03-10-2012
Med's Done....
25-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2012
vikris81 said:
How are you processed your visa application? i mean have you done it on your own or processed through consultancy? i am waiting for hard copy of my confirmation letter from university.
Prepared my application on my own with the help of valuable inputs from a friend and this forum.

sue_in

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
15-09-2012 (Band 8 )
File Transfer...
03-10-2012
Med's Done....
25-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2012
porche said:
hey could u plz help me..i too want to pursue Ph.d..wat's d procedure for dat..a consultancy told me dat applying for Phd will take a longer time so i should go for some master's degree instead of dat..i have already done M.B.A n hve got 7 bands in Ielts..do i need to clear GMAT/GRE as well????
There is no 'procedure' as such. You need to have good research background and should contact a interested professor (in your field) of a University of your choice directly. I did not appear for GMAT/GRE but I'm not sure about requirements in management side. Best way is to study research papers and make a list of professors who work in your area and then mail them individually expressing your motivation to do research and your plans. Atach your CV (short and sweet) with the mail. Then wait for a professor's approval to guide you. He may choose to take an interview over phone/skype (as in my case) Once he says yes, you can start the official process of admission in the university which is essentially a formality mostly. You can also apply without approval from professor directly to some university but chances are quite thin in such cases and there is no prof already available to back you up for admission.

I must remind you have to get inspired to do research. Its not a course - its a big investment in terms of time (not money). You have to spare at least 5 years of your life for this. If your aim is to go to Canada for 'something' or 'anything' don't go for a PhD. Instead, go for some diploma etc. If you know that you very much want to study under this specific guy in this specific university in Canada, you have made a good choice for PhD. Thats just my 2 cents anyway :) Rest depends on you.