Star Member
Jan 30, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all - sad news. I've split with my SO, who was a PR that I was sponsoring under common law. She has gone back home.

I am wondering if there's any legal thing I need to do to "split." Anything to do with taxes, with alerting gov't etc?

Thanks for your help! Hope you all have much better luck than I did.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Huxley1234 said:
Hi all - sad news. I've split with my SO, who was a PR that I was sponsoring under common law. She has gone back home.

I am wondering if there's any legal thing I need to do to "split." Anything to do with taxes, with alerting gov't etc?

Sorry to hear that. The stress of this process is pretty intense.

You can send a letter to CIC and let them know that you are withdrawing your application. They will refund what fees you have paid. For taxes I think you would need to inform them by letter the date that your relationship ended so whatever benefit you could claim would be in effect for that part of the fiscal year you were still together.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I'm really sorry to hear this. She had already landed, right? And then decided to go home. I remember the post where you said she had become depressed. The whole sponsorship situation can be so stressful, even at the best of times.
You don't really need to do anything legally. You'll have to tell CRA you've broken up for tax purposes.
Maybe look into getting some sort of 'end of common-law relationship proof' for the future - you may want to marry or sponsor again, who knows, and will need proof this relationship is over. Maybe ask a lawyer about getting something like that.
You could also send a letter to CIC telling them about the break-up. It does not appear to be a marriage of convenience, so you should be clear you are not complaining to CIC of any such thing, or expecting them to do anything. it's just further proof for the future, if you want to sponsor someone else, of when the relationship ended.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
CanadianJeepGuy said:
Sorry to hear that. The stress of this process is pretty intense.

You can send a letter to CIC and let them know that you are withdrawing your application. They will refund what fees you have paid. For taxes I think you would need to inform them by letter the date that your relationship ended so whatever benefit you could claim would be in effect for that part of the fiscal year you were still together.
She has already landed.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
scylla said:
She has already landed.
That's even worse. When did she land?

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Huxley1234 said:
landed in March. left in April.
So sorry. She barely gave it a chance.

Huxley1234

Star Member
Jan 30, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianwoman said:
I'm really sorry to hear this. She had already landed, right? And then decided to go home. I remember the post where you said she had become depressed. The whole sponsorship situation can be so stressful, even at the best of times.
You don't really need to do anything legally. You'll have to tell CRA you've broken up for tax purposes.
Maybe look into getting some sort of 'end of common-law relationship proof' for the future - you may want to marry or sponsor again, who knows, and will need proof this relationship is over. Maybe ask a lawyer about getting something like that.
You could also send a letter to CIC telling them about the break-up. It does not appear to be a marriage of convenience, so you should be clear you are not complaining to CIC of any such thing, or expecting them to do anything. it's just further proof for the future, if you want to sponsor someone else, of when the relationship ended.
Lets say I want to sponsor again (jeeze....just imagine) is there a set amount of time I need to wait?

Anyone have any clue how to tell CRA regarding tax purposes? Also... I am assuming I will need her SIN to file our taxes from last year, although she had no income. Does she need to sign anything for tax returns? Also... i kind of prefer to just lie to CRA and avoid the whole thing. But I also dont want to get caught/ get audited. Any advice?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Huxley1234 said:
Lets say I want to sponsor again (jeeze....just imagine) is there a set amount of time I need to wait?

Anyone have any clue how to tell CRA regarding tax purposes? Also... I am assuming I will need her SIN to file our taxes from last year, although she had no income. Does she need to sign anything for tax returns? Also... i kind of prefer to just lie to CRA and avoid the whole thing. But I also dont want to get caught/ get audited. Any advice?
1. There is a 3 year wait to sponsor another spouse after the 1st one "landed"

fandv

Aug 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
CPC-M: None. Singapore: 25 Apr 2013
File Transfer...
17 Apr 2013
Med's Request
2nd request: 5 Feb 2014
Med's Done....
1st: 12 Dec 2012. 2nd: 11 Feb 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14 Feb 2014 and also e-CAS changed to "In Process" on that day. Passport got to Singapore: 12 Mar '14
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made on eCAS: 12 April 2014. Visa n COPR issued 8 April 2014, received 16 May 2014.
LANDED..........
20 May 2014. PR card arrived on 29 July 2014.
Huxley1234 said:

So sorry about what happened to you, Huxley! How come she left you just like that...?! Why would arriving in Canada cause her to be depressed? She got homesick I guess? How old is she anyway?

She could've at least offered if you'd like to live with her in Argentina instead.................you probably would've said yes......

Real sorry man.....I really wish I could help!

This happened to a friend of mine (but the opposite way)....this Brazilian dentist who used to live in Brazil with his Brazilian wife. The wife then immigrated to Canada as one of her father's dependants (the father applied as skilled worker). Once the wife became a PR, she started to sponsor her husband (my friend), and he got his PR in about 8 months. Then he came to Canada to join her, and within a few months, she wanted a divorce for no clear reasons. And my friend got really devastated, being totally clueless as to what happened...