+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Boyfriend becoming my sponsor?

Charliesaurus

Sep 17, 2014
Leeds, England, United Kingdom.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
I agree applying "inland" is not a good route to go considering how long it currently takes in comparison to UK VO timeline.
I don't understand... is there a way to apply "outland" which doesn't involve me going home first? Or... are you talking about this..

- I visit for 6 months, saying to the boarder agent "Visiting canada!"
- I apply for an extension on that 6 months... (But you say applying inland takes 18 months?! How do I stay for that amount of time whilst it's being processed?!)
- When the extra 6 months is up, I come home, and we apply for common law status/sponshorship? Or do I apply for that over there too?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Charliesaurus said:
I don't understand... is there a way to apply "outland" which doesn't involve me going home first? Or... are you talking about this..

- I visit for 6 months, saying to the boarder agent "Visiting canada!"
- I apply for an extension on that 6 months... (But you say applying inland takes 18 months?! How do I stay for that amount of time whilst it's being processed?!)
- When the extra 6 months is up, I come home, and we apply for common law status/sponshorship? Or do I apply for that over there too?
The 18 month time period is from the time CIC recieve the application to landing as PR. So if you came to Canada to visit, and managed to get an extension that allow you to gain common law status, you could have to potential wait for 30 months to land as PR. (12 months to gain common law status + 18 months PR inland sponsorship).

You can apply "outland" PR while you are living in Canada with your bf as common law. That would be the faster route. 12 months after coming in Canada plus 11.5 months totally 24.5 months. But don't let the outland timeline deceive you. Majority of the time, it is less than the 11.5 months for London VO.

Screech339

Charliesaurus

Sep 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
The 18 month time period is from the time CIC recieve the application to landing as PR. So if you came to Canada to visit, and managed to get an extension that allow you to gain common law status, you could have to potential wait for 30 months to land as PR. (12 months to gain common law status + 18 months PR inland sponsorship).

You can apply "outland" PR while you are living in Canada with your bf as common law. That would be the faster route.

Screech339
What is outland PR? Do I apply for that in the UK through our immigration?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Charliesaurus said:
What is outland PR? Do I apply for that in the UK through our immigration?
Actually you apply for it through Mississauga office in Canada. They will transfer your PR file to London, once the 1st stage (48 day) is approved.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
There are two options in acquiring PR through family sponsorship. The "inland" option and the "outland" option. The "inland" option, the PR papers are all processed inside Canada. But the timeline is very very long. 18 months or more to complete.

The "outland" option, the PR papers get process in the applicant's home country once the paper passes first initial stage in Mississauga.

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
screech339 said:
There are two options in acquiring PR through family sponsorship. The "inland" option and the "outland" option. The "inland" option, the PR papers are all processed inside Canada. But the timeline is very very long. 18 months or more to complete.

The "outland" option, the PR papers get process in the applicant's home country once the paper passes first initial stage in Mississauga.
I think shes getting confused Screech with all the inland/outland stuff.

Basically Charlie you have 3 options realistically:

1. Either you come to Canada as a visitor and spend 6 months not working but living together. You could then apply to have an extension to try and make your 12 months for common law status. Unfortunately you cannot work during this time and will probably die of boredom and quite possibly run out of money.

2. Apply for IEC next year. As with Becki this is what I did and I spent a fantastic year in Canada working and travelling with my now wife. Screech is right you cannot extend the IEC visa but you CAN apply for a further 12 months IEC visa as people are allowed two bites at the visa... and I've noticed a few other Brits who have done this. After your initial 12 months you can choose whether to apply inland or outland. If you search the forum there has been recent posts on people who were in exactly this position.

3. Apply for a study visa. Unless you have a few thousand in the bank forget it.

Personally I think the best option is number 2. You can work and travel and get to know your bf a bit better. Remember if you come as a visitor you cant work so making friends and associations will be difficult and you will be completely reliant on your bf for funds unless your parents can step in and help. Your first challenge is to get common-law status and once/if you manage that you can worry about inland/outland applications!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Charliesaurus said:
I was just wondering, how my boyfriend would become my common law partner - and then my sponsor? What exactly would be his requirements? How much does he need to earn, etc.
Step 1 - enter Canada as a visitor (you can't work) or under IEC visa if you can get it (so you could work). With visitor status, you'd just need to apply for 6 months more after your first 6 months are up, OR your bf could move with you to the UK to live together for final 6 months. Either way is fine. End goal is getting to 12 continuous months of cohabiting.

Step 2 - Once you've been living together for exactly 12 months, you will be officially common-law. ONLY THEN can you guys put together your PR application and send it to CIC. Your bf doesn't need to earn a specific amount, he just must not be taking social assistance.

Or instead, you could just get married then apply for PR, and not have to do the whole 12 months cohabitation thing.

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
One other thing I forgot which I think Becki mentioned is that your bf could come here using the SWAP programme, it seems a lot easier and the visa is for up to 2 years so you could get your common law status easily here. You can find the info below.

http://www.swap.ca/out_eng/destinations/uk.aspx

Charliesaurus

Sep 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
brucem said:
I think shes getting confused Screech with all the inland/outland stuff.

Basically Charlie you have 3 options realistically:

1. Either you come to Canada as a visitor and spend 6 months not working but living together. You could then apply to have an extension to try and make your 12 months for common law status. Unfortunately you cannot work during this time and will probably die of boredom and quite possibly run out of money.

2. Apply for IEC next year. As with Becki this is what I did and I spent a fantastic year in Canada working and travelling with my now wife. Screech is right you cannot extend the IEC visa but you CAN apply for a further 12 months IEC visa as people are allowed two bites at the visa... and I've noticed a few other Brits who have done this. After your initial 12 months you can choose whether to apply inland or outland. If you search the forum there has been recent posts on people who were in exactly this position.

3. Apply for a study visa. Unless you have a few thousand in the bank forget it.

Personally I think the best option is number 2. You can work and travel and get to know your bf a bit better. Remember if you come as a visitor you cant work so making friends and associations will be difficult and you will be completely reliant on your bf for funds unless your parents can step in and help. Your first challenge is to get common-law status and once/if you manage that you can worry about inland/outland applications!
This was really a nice clear up - I was indeed getting so very confused, I just wanted someone to tell me what I could do, and how I could do it. 1 or 2 looks to be the better options! Just some questions on the IEC..

- I'm worried about it because I've heard that the spots for an IEC go in and around 30 minutes to 15 minutes.
- I hear there is no warning as to when they will be released, so it literally means being at the computer 24/7, refreshing.

Are these the cases?

In terms of the first option..
- When I have stayed for a year, do I need to apply for common law status around a month before the year finishes? Or after?
- Is this something I apply inland, or outland for (common law status AND visitors extension?)
- If my extension gets declined, and I am sent home. How long do I need to wait before I can return for another 6 months? On the CIC website, it says that the year we're together - I may be able to travel home for business/family issues, so what if rather than "extending" my visit.. I took a week or two to visit home for family, and then returned for another 6 months? Would that be allowed - and would that be approveable for common law status?

And totally off topic - I thought for PR I had to be in the country for 3 years? How long do we legally need to be "common law status" before applying for PR? If only there was a step-by-step guide into the nitty gritty.

Christoph100

Jun 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-09-2014 Rcvd 27-09-2014, 29-09-2014
AOR Received.
SA :04-09-2014
File Transfer...
04-09-2014 AOR2 09-23-2014
Med's Done....
05-07-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-04-2015 Validity-10-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2015
LANDED..........
31-05-2015
Charliesaurus said:
This was really a nice clear up - I was indeed getting so very confused, I just wanted someone to tell me what I could do, and how I could do it. 1 or 2 looks to be the better options! Just some questions on the IEC..

- When I have stayed for a year, do I need to apply for common law status around a month before the year finishes? Or after?
- Is this something I apply inland, or outland for (common law status AND visitors extension?)
- If my extension gets declined, and I am sent home. How long do I need to wait before I can return for another 6 months? On the CIC website, it says that the year we're together - I may be able to travel home for business/family issues, so what if rather than "extending" my visit.. I took a week or two to visit home for family, and then returned for another 6 months? Would that be allowed - and would that be approveable for common law status?

And totally off topic - I thought for PR I had to be in the country for 3 years? How long do we legally need to be "common law status" before applying for PR? If only there was a step-by-step guide into the nitty gritty.
You can apply for common law sponsorship after you have been living continuously for 1 yr (365days). After one year of living together according to the Canadian Government you are Common Law,
After the one year passes your BF could notify CRA that you are common law.

Or you can skip the common law wait and get married and be sponsored as a spouse this will be something both of you will need to discuss and decide on.

Chris

Linden

Dec 10, 2013
Charliesaurus said:

- I'm worried about it because I've heard that the spots for an IEC go in and around 30 minutes to 15 minutes.
- I hear there is no warning as to when they will be released, so it literally means being at the computer 24/7, refreshing.

Are these the cases?

Yes apply for an IEC that is easiest way to start working in Canada. The 2014 IEC visas have been all taken up but check it out this website. I would start an application now.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/experience_canada_experience/

You can come to Canada initially as a visitor (6months) then once you get approved for an working holiday visa (IEC) then you can stay for an additional year.

To be come common law in Canada. You need to live with your partner continuously for one year. During this time make sure you combine all our affairs and keep proof of it. Joint rental agreement, joint bank accounts, bills, etc. to use in your sponsorship application.

Once you've completed a year you can apply for PR. I would apply outland(shorter processing times) even if your working holiday visa is up. You can stay in Canada during the process but you'll need to switch your status from temp. worker to visitor. Go down to the States for a weekend then come back.

Charliesaurus

Sep 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Linden said:
Yes apply for an IEC that is easiest way to start working in Canada. The 2014 IEC visas have been all taken up but check it out this website. I would start an application now.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/experience_canada_experience/

You can come to Canada initially as a visitor (6months) then once you get approved for an working holiday visa (IEC) then you can stay for an additional year.

To be come common law in Canada. You need to live with your partner continuously for one year. During this time make sure you combine all our affairs and keep proof of it. Joint rental agreement, joint bank accounts, bills, etc. to use in your sponsorship application.

Once you've completed a year you can apply for PR. I would apply outland(shorter processing times) even if your working holiday visa is up. You can stay in Canada during the process but you'll need to switch your status from temp. worker to visitor. Go down to the States for a weekend then come back.
Can I visit for the 6 months whilst applying for IEC? Meaning I would stay potentially for 6months visit an then a year on IEC? I can still get common law status on IEC, right?

Linden

Dec 10, 2013
Charliesaurus said:
Can I visit for the 6 months whilst applying for IEC? Meaning I would stay potentially for 6months visit an then a year on IEC? I can still get common law status on IEC, right?
I'm not 100% sure because they might need your passport in London for the IEC application but see what is says on the website.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you can apply for the IEC from Canada. You'll need to indicate your country as the UK.

Again, please don't look at the IEC as a sure thing. As I mentioned in your other thread, the open spots are snapped up extremely quickly and you literally have to be at your computer when the caps open - or forget about it. Unfortunately there were plenty of disappointed people on this forum who missed out this year.

So again, it's definitely a possibility - but at the same time far from a sure thing.

Charliesaurus

Sep 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Yes - you can apply for the IEC from Canada. You'll need to indicate your country as the UK.

Again, please don't look at the IEC as a sure thing. As I mentioned in your other thread, the open spots are snapped up extremely quickly and you literally have to be at your computer when the caps open - or forget about it. Unfortunately there were plenty of disappointed people on this forum who missed out this year.

So again, it's definitely a possibility - but at the same time far from a sure thing.
It's potentially going to be option 1 then, go over on a visitors and extend it... We would be living with his parents and they are okay with the up-keep too.

I suppose we will open up a joint bank account together when I next go over there, but here's hoping I can do that when I'm not a resident over there.