09/05/2014
Med's Done....
19/02/2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 12/08/2014, CoPR 20/08/2014
LANDED..........
23/08/2014
Charliesaurus said:
It's potentially going to be option 1 then, go over on a visitors and extend it... We would be living with his parents and they are okay with the up-keep too.

I suppose we will open up a joint bank account together when I next go over there, but here's hoping I can do that when I'm not a resident over there.
I'm not sure how it would be when you're just bf/gf, but I was able to add my husband to my bank account before he became a permanent resident with no issues, I use Scotiabank.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Charliesaurus said:
- If my extension gets declined, and I am sent home. How long do I need to wait before I can return for another 6 months? On the CIC website, it says that the year we're together - I may be able to travel home for business/family issues, so what if rather than "extending" my visit.. I took a week or two to visit home for family, and then returned for another 6 months? Would that be allowed - and would that be approveable for common law status?
If you voluntarily go to the UK for a few weeks BEFORE your visitor status expires, then return back to Canada and get a new visitor status upon entry, that should be fine for common-law qualifying. In this case you wouldn't need to apply for any extension as this would happen in-person when you arrived back in Canada.

However if you applied for a visitor extension, and were refused for some reason, and were then forced to leave Canada... that could be seen as a termination of the cohabitation due to status expiring, and visa officer could deem the cohabitation broken the same day you leave back to UK. So even if you returned back to Canada a few weeks later it could be counting from zero again instead of 6 months. If this happend, it would be safer for your BF to travel to UK with you for this time, since that would definitely keep the cohabitation going.

The problem also is that there are no set rules around any of this. Lots is at the discretion of the visa officer reviewing your eventual PR application.

And totally off topic - I thought for PR I had to be in the country for 3 years? How long do we legally need to be "common law status" before applying for PR? If only there was a step-by-step guide into the nitty gritty.
There is no such rule, wherever you heard that from is wrong.

As soon as you reach 12 months of cohabitation, you are common-law and can submit your PR app the next day if you're ready.

Charliesaurus

Sep 17, 2014
Leeds, England, United Kingdom.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wondered if anybody had any experience with working over in canada for a year with the company "BUNAC"? I've been told it's similar to IEC in terms of you make an application, pay a fee of £500 and then fly over to Canada on their times.

This also lasts for up to a year and I can work anywhere in Canada with it.

I was just wondering, would this be a valid way to achieve Common Law Status also?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Charliesaurus said:
I wondered if anybody had any experience with working over in canada for a year with the company "BUNAC"? I've been told it's similar to IEC in terms of you make an application, pay a fee of £500 and then fly over to Canada on their times.

I was just wondering, would this be a valid way to achieve Common Law Status also?
I don't think it really matters how you get here in Canada, other than the illegal way, so long as you are able to gather 365 consecutive days of living together to gain common law status.

Screech339

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
screech339 said:
I don't think it really matters how you get here in Canada, other than the illegal way, so long as you are able to gather 365 consecutive days of living together to gain common law status.

Screech339
Heck even if she was smuggled over in a suitcase and stayed here illegally for 12 months, technically that would still qualify them as common-law.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Rob_TO said:
Heck even if she was smuggled over in a suitcase and stayed here illegally for 12 months, technically that would still qualify them as common-law.
True, technically. But the fact that she came in illegally, a major federal offense, pretty much kill any chances of getting PR in Canada in the process.

Screech339

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
Charliesaurus said:

I should correct myself Charlie it was Bunac that I went through, you're right you pay a fee and book flights and insurance (i think) with them, its pretty much the same thing. I had to go to a meeting and then you applied afterwards.

Its just my opinion but I really would think twice about going simply as a visitor, its much more rewarding to live and work in Canada and it helps you build a nice social network outside of bf and his family. And yes as long as you're living together it doesnt matter how you do it legally (Bunac/visitor/IEC) it will count towards your 365 days.

I know its all pretty confusing but take a good read of the CIC website on the two types of applications (inland and outland) as that will make you more familiar about what you need to submit come the time. I'm saying this because no matter what route you choose if you decide you want to apply as a PR you need to evidence your relationship to CIC, and I noticed you mentioned living with his parents. I have seen this can cause some problems as you wont have a lease but you could ask his parents to write a letter explaining this. Anyway I dont want to confuse but have a look at the info on the CIC website about the type of evidence you need to prove the relationship is genuine.

Charliesaurus

Sep 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
brucem said:
I should correct myself Charlie it was Bunac that I went through, you're right you pay a fee and book flights and insurance (i think) with them, its pretty much the same thing. I had to go to a meeting and then you applied afterwards.
Really? Oh I made a topic about Bunac in the foreign workers section - but I could post my questions to you here? I'll copy and paste them all - pardon the possible repetition. Infact, pardon the possible repetition in all of this topic -I'm sure you guys understand the confusion..

Anyway;

- Through Bunac, am I able to choose my own self employment? As whilst working over there, I wish to be staying with my boyfriend in his household in Ontario, Hawkesbury? I wish to find a job locally to him via BUNAC.

- Do employers need a LMIA (Labour marketing impact assesment) if I go over on a BUNAC program?

- Is the BUNAC program a valid way to achieve common law status?

- When should I apply for BUNAC if I wish to go over to Canada sometimes around - or after September 2015?

- How long do applications take to process?

- Will somebody be there to help me all the way, I am so scared and terrified to be doing this on my own.

Thank you so much,

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
I am married, so it might not be the same as being bf/gf but before we got married my husband applied for a joint credit card at Capital One and they gave it to me, no questions asked. He just provided my name. As long as HE was able to pay the bills, the bank didn't seem to care who also got a credit card. (Technically, at the time he applied for a joint credit card, I was not his wife yet, and I was still using my maiden name because I was unmarried. So, technically, he was creating a credit card for a person who doesn't exist yet - but the bank didn't ask for any documentation.)

After I came to visit my husband in Canada, we went to Royal Bank of Canada together and added me to his bank account, making it a joint bank account. They did need me to be physically present there (it could not be done while I was outside Canada) but as long as I was there to sign the papers and show them a photo ID (passport) it was ok. I didn't need to show them a visa or anything.

Regarding "visiting" Canada - at the border you don't tell them you're going to cohabit for 1 year. You are going to visit your boyfriend, and that's not a lie, right? Whether you later extend your visit beyond 6 months or not is something you can decide later - you don't have to tell them at the border exactly when you are leaving, nor are you legally obliged to leave by the date you say you are leaving, if you file for an extension.

I believe many people apply to extend their visitor status to achieve common law status. I think they may even indicate this when they apply for an extension. Often, people ask for an extension of an year and get it. Occasionally, they may get less time than they asked for. If you get less than six months, you can apply for another extension before that six months is up. Unless your extension is rejected, you don't have to leave - you can keep on extending and extending.
(note: extending your visitor's stay, and applying for PR (outland or inland) are two completely different procedures. One doesn't have anything to do with the other.)

Applying Inland - basically means you indicate (on the application form) that you want your application to be processed in Canada. You have to be in Canada the whole time and you can't leave the country, even for emergencies. (well, strictly speaking you can, but nobody does that because you may forfeit your application. It's not up to you - they decide and their decision is final.) The whole procedure takes around 18 months, and may take even longer by the time you apply - there seems to be a big backlog.

Applying Outland - means you indicate that you want your application to be processed in London, UK. You can do this even if you are in Canada, or China, or Antarctica, or wherever. It doesn't matter where you are. You can still come to Canada and leave Canada, it does not affect your application. The procedure will probably take a much much shorter time, less than a year for sure. I think some people who applied through the London Visa Office earlier this year already got PR and are in Canada.

Charliesaurus

Sep 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kayaker said:
Regarding "visiting" Canada - at the border you don't tell them you're going to cohabit for 1 year. You are going to visit your boyfriend, and that's not a lie, right? Whether you later extend your visit beyond 6 months or not is something you can decide later - you don't have to tell them at the border exactly when you are leaving, nor are you legally obliged to leave by the date you say you are leaving, if you file for an extension.

I believe many people apply to extend their visitor status to achieve common law status. I think they may even indicate this when they apply for an extension. Often, people ask for an extension of an year and get it. Occasionally, they may get less time than they asked for. If you get less than six months, you can apply for another extension before that six months is up. Unless your extension is rejected, you don't have to leave - you can keep on extending and extending.
(note: extending your visitor's stay, and applying for PR (outland or inland) are two completely different procedures. One doesn't have anything to do with the other.)
Okie dokie - so my best option is to apply outland - do I contact an embacy here to do so? Is there a link I can have saved prior to doing that?

Just to clarify again - sorry for repetition - would I need to say/write on my application, "I wish to extend my visit to achieve common law status" or would I say, "I wish to extend my visit to see more of Canada." ?

Also what kind of documentation did you have to supply when you moved over there to get your common law status? Was it just the "joint bank account" papers? Or did you have some other documentation. We're unsure what else we would be able to get due to living with his parents.

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
Charliesaurus said:
Really? Oh I made a topic about Bunac in the foreign workers section - but I could post my questions to you here? I'll copy and paste them all - pardon the possible repetition. Infact, pardon the possible repetition in all of this topic -I'm sure you guys understand the confusion..

Anyway;

- Through Bunac, am I able to choose my own self employment? As whilst working over there, I wish to be staying with my boyfriend in his household in Ontario, Hawkesbury? I wish to find a job locally to him via BUNAC.

- Do employers need a LMIA (Labour marketing impact assesment) if I go over on a BUNAC program?

- Is the BUNAC program a valid way to achieve common law status?

- When should I apply for BUNAC if I wish to go over to Canada sometimes around - or after September 2015?

- How long do applications take to process?

- Will somebody be there to help me all the way, I am so scared and terrified to be doing this on my own.

Thank you so much,
Yes you can work anywhere in Canada and once you arrive they will insert your visa into your passport. You will get a SIN number (like our national insurance) which will allow you to start work. I did this about 10 years ago so it might have changed but we had the option of booking a flight through Bunac with other Bunacers so to speak and part of the package was one or two night accommodation which obviously you wont need.

They dont need an LMIA

As I said before Bunac or any other legal way is fine to get your common law status.

From the website the 2015 process is open to register for, I think they ask you to sign up to be advised of when you can put the application in.

The process was pretty quick you have to apply at least 8 weeks before departure.

Normally when you arrive you have to attend a meeting at a SWAP office (Canadian equivalent of Bunac) and they explain about what you can/cant do and give you useful info. I think thats where I got my SIN card. The SWAP office were there to help anyone who needed it in terms of resume, accommodation and they had regular party nights to. All good fun I had a blast!

Charliesaurus

Sep 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
brucem said:
Yes you can work anywhere in Canada and once you arrive they will insert your visa into your passport. You will get a SIN number (like our national insurance) which will allow you to start work. I did this about 10 years ago so it might have changed but we had the option of booking a flight through Bunac with other Bunacers so to speak and part of the package was one or two night accommodation which obviously you wont need.

They dont need an LMIA

As I said before Bunac or any other legal way is fine to get your common law status.

From the website the 2015 process is open to register for, I think they ask you to sign up to be advised of when you can put the application in.

The process was pretty quick you have to apply at least 8 weeks before departure.

Normally when you arrive you have to attend a meeting at a SWAP office (Canadian equivalent of Bunac) and they explain about what you can/cant do and give you useful info. I think thats where I got my SIN card. The SWAP office were there to help anyone who needed it in terms of resume, accommodation and they had regular party nights to. All good fun I had a blast!
That sounds really great.. Are they usually pretty loose on applications? Not as tight as IEC? If I wish to go over there September 2015, when should I apply? When they give me my work permit through the airport, do I just take that to any employer and ask for a job? What if I don't get a job within a certain amount of time?

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
When you apply for PR, there will be a place on one of the forms where you indicate which visa office you are using. You will write London, UK in this box.

The actual application is sent to Missisauga, ON, in Canada - they will first check that you submitted all the correct forms and documents you needed to submit (such as medicals, police certificates, etc.) and then they will check if your boyfriend, the "sponsor" is eligible to sponsor you or not. For example, he cannot sponsor you if he has been on welfare recently. When they see that he is eligible to sponsor you, they will send your application to London. From then on, the office in London will contact you if they have any questions, and if they aren't completely satisfied that your relationship is real, they might ask you to come to an interview in London. (Not a common occurrence, but it can happen.)

Regarding extending your visitor's stay - I think both "extend my visit to achieve common law status" or "see more of Canada" would work. I don't know which is better - maybe someone else can chime in.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Don't see anything wrong with saying "extending visa to achieve common law status with boyfriend". I have see people posting that as reason for extending visitor visa and able to get their extensions asked.

The main thing is don't tell the border agent that you are visiting boyfriend to establish common law status. That will get you denied entry. Make no mention of long term plans at all. Once you get in, only then do you mention common law status purposes in asking for extension.

Screech339