Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
harumi1987 said:
as in every activities we do with family and friends we should have pictures?? if we provided all of that will it be possible for the embassy to believe that the relationship is genuine?
You should send photos of the two of you in with your application. One thing the visa officer wants to see is that your friends and family know about the relationship. If the relationship seems to be secret, the visa officer is going to think the reason for that is that it is a fake marriage, and will refuse the visa.

One way to show that people know about your relationship is to provide photos of the two of you with others. Letters of support from family and friends will help too, but letters can be faked more easily than photos. So if you go out with some friends to a restaurant, take a picture of the occasion. When your boyfriend meets your family for the first time, get photos of all of you together. And so on.

regine

Apr 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CharlieD10 said:
Everything canadianwoman has recommended is sensible advice.

Here's my two cents: get to know your boyfriend a whole lot better before you marry him. You met online 5 months ago, that's pretty quick time to be talking about marriage. I realise every relationship has its own timeline, but for your own sake, less for the sake of Immigration, I say you need to take time to get to know him and his family, and let him get to know you and your family. You are talking about two people from different cultures, possibly different ethnicities, AND with a large age gap. I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just saying, you need a heck of a lot more time than 5 months to figure out how it will work.
Agree 100%.

Are you really only 24? And you're planning on marrying a 48 year old that you've only met online 5 months ago? ???

medellinguy

Jul 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-10-2010
Doc's Request.
Everything in order I guess
AOR Received.
07-04-2011
File Transfer...
03-12-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Passport Req..
07-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2011
LANDED..........
07-09-2011
regine said:
Agree 100%.

Are you really only 24? And you're planning on marrying a 48 year old that you've only met online 5 months ago? ???
heheh sounds fraud to the visa officer!

lovely20

Mar 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2010
regine said:
Agree 100%.

I agree with most people here. You should not worry now about what the visa officer would think of your relationship rather what kind of relationship you might have with this person. Please take the time to get to know each other, do you have the same likes, same hobbies? You know sometimes love is not enough. How well do you know this person? What are your future plans? Are you planning to have kids? What are his thoughts about having kids, knowing you guys have 24 years age gap. You are from a tropical country where everything is warm and nice all year round, do you think you can live in Canada where winter weather can be brutal? In the Philippines, you can just go out and chit chat with your neighbour something you cannot really do here.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Let me start with a practical suggestion. Using a landline can be horrendously expensive. Just use SKYPE out to call your partner, taking maybe 10 seconds to say “get on your computer so we can talk free via SKYPE”. It’s free, computer to computer. You can print out a log of calls by SKYPE OUT to show that you talk frequently.

All the suggestions (photos with family, special ceremony, etc) are valid.

But the more important issue is to avoid the appearance of a contrived marriage just to get you a visa. The more hurried you seem – and marrying at the first meeting does seem hurried – the more suspicious you will make the Visa Officer (VO) examining your case.

While two people can learn a lot about each other by internet, there is no replacement for spending time together, face to face. I’d suggest marrying no earlier than the second or third meeting. It’s expensive, and this may not be feasible, but it would look better to the VO.

And, of course, it would BE better for you two – to know each other better before marrying.

confusednscared

Feb 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2009 CPC-M
Doc's Request.
NONE
Med's Request
2009, 2010
Interview........
14-09-2010
Passport Req..
02-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-08-2011
LANDED..........
14-09-2011
24 years age gap? As long you feel comfortable with it.

Like everyone has suggested in this topic, get to know him a bit more before tying the knot. 5 months of knowing someone that is 24 years your senior and then marriage would definitely raise a red flag for the Officer reviewing your case. It wouldn't hurt if you spend an additional 5 months getting to know each other on a greater level and gather extensive amounts of evidence for your relationship. Otherwise, I will start preparing myself from now for an interview and maybe a tough time through the immigration process.

canuck0469

Nov 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01 Feb, 2010
AOR Received.
Mar 11,2010
File Transfer...
26 Feb, 2010
Med's Request
Nov 22, 2010
Med's Done....
Jan 6, 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 17, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2, 2010
LANDED..........
Dec 27, 2010
harumi, we were successful in getting through with a 30 age gap but close to 4 years of visiting her as well as our daily communications, money transfers etc.. As others mentioned the real red flag will be marrying without getting to know each other in person. There is little doubt that should you marry at your first or second meeting the VO will have some serious reservations about the relationship. Better to spend a year or so getting to know one another than a year or so going through rejections and appeals. Most on these forums have a genuine relationship and want to be with thier significant others as I'm sure you do. Better to do it right the first time. Certainly will assist with immigration anyway and help you ensure that he is indeed the one.
Good luck with your decision

Reactions: Inlandspouse

asiddiq

Mar 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul 2010
Doc's Request.
Remed & PCC on 02-08-2011
AOR Received.
Aug 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Request
02-08-2011 (Remed)
Med's Done....
07-08-2011
Interview........
Interview Waived
Passport Req..
24 Oct 2011, Submitted 30 Oct
Canadianwoman has outlined very clear. I am agree with his/her post. Very useful advice. Sometimes, age and Education difference ( like sponsor is grade 10 while sponsored is a doctor or other high post etc) makes a VO feel uncomfortable to issue PR visa. VO might consider it as marriage of convenience providing that sponsored has entered into marriage to gain entry into Canada. Therefore, an interview is scheduled which is sometimes a long time waiting.

It is my personal opinion that in Asian countries ( Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Srilanka), mainly in village environment, 15 to 20 years age difference marriage has been happening. Some VO have approved such cases ( based on village marriage nature), BUT if this kind of age difference marriage ( 20 to 25 years gap) happened in cities ( like Karach, delhi, Dhaka, Colombo) then, VO rethinks about it.

VO are well trained with respective countries marriage natures ( Village and cities wide marriages). So, advice to those who are of well age gaps are to gather as many proofs they can. They will have to demonstrate more evidence to proof it genuine. If it is a love marriage, give more time to know each other. Record all meetings, outings, Chats, dating etc. try to establish your relationship first. Once you know each other well enough, then marry.

If it is arranged marriage, give it more colourful ( Engagement, Wedding Function, Reception, Honeymoon, Both families, relatives and friends involvement in your pre and post marriage, pictures with family, relative and friends). These are must. Because, your marriage nature is not common. It's different because of Age gap. I have detailed here basically for Asian people. Certain big age gap marriage is still happening in Asian countries.

Hope it helps.

Inlandspouse

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
harumi, we were successful in getting through with a 30 age gap but close to 4 years of visiting her as well as our daily communications, money transfers etc.. As others mentioned the real red flag will be marrying without getting to know each other in person. There is little doubt that should you marry at your first or second meeting the VO will have some serious reservations about the relationship. Better to spend a year or so getting to know one another than a year or so going through rejections and appeals. Most on these forums have a genuine relationship and want to be with thier significant others as I'm sure you do. Better to do it right the first time. Certainly will assist with immigration anyway and help you ensure that he is indeed the one.
Good luck with your decision
Hello Canuck,

Can you please share more details about your case ?? I am going through a similar situation of a big age gap.

Thanks.

Reactions: majesty

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello Canuck,

Can you please share more details about your case ?? I am going through a similar situation of a big age gap.

Thanks.
That user has not logged in here in 5 years. You are better off making your own thread to post your specific questions.

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017 (AOR 1); 26-05-2017 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
Hello Canuck,

Thanks.
Age difference is a red flag. I am 21 years older than my partner. We are 4 to 5 months into our common-law outland spousal sponsorship application. So far they have not requested an interview, but we are just at the eligibility and background check stage still (just got AOR2 this month). We have been together for about 5 years though (only could live together about a year, but have visited each other since our cohabitation every 4 to 8 months). We submitted as much evidence as we could (joint utilities, joint credit cards, beneficiaries in RRSP and life insurance policy through his work) as well as pictures from all our visits, with family/friends and letters from friends). Hopefully this will be enough, but I am still thinking there might be a good chance that they will request an interview.

I have read past posts where applicants have been successful with an even bigger age difference and through both common-law and married relationships. It depends on the officer, the evidence you submit, the cultural backgrounds of the applicant and sponsor and of course the circumstances of the relationship.

Here is another thread I found a while ago where there is a discussion about a big age difference between the spouses :

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/big-age-difference-my-wife-much-older.394408/

Good luck!

Inlandspouse

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
Age difference is a red flag. I am 21 years older than my partner. We are 4 to 5 months into our common-law outland spousal sponsorship application. So far they have not requested an interview, but we are just at the eligibility and background check stage still (just got AOR2 this month). We have been together for about 5 years though (only could live together about a year, but have visited each other since our cohabitation every 4 to 8 months). We submitted as much evidence as we could (joint utilities, joint credit cards, beneficiaries in RRSP and life insurance policy through his work) as well as pictures from all our visits, with family/friends and letters from friends). Hopefully this will be enough, but I am still thinking there might be a good chance that they will request an interview.

I have read past posts where applicants have been successful with an even bigger age difference and through both common-law and married relationships. It depends on the officer, the evidence you submit, the cultural backgrounds of the applicant and sponsor and of course the circumstances of the relationship.

Here is another thread I found a while ago where there is a discussion about a big age difference between the spouses :

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/big-age-difference-my-wife-much-older.394408/

Good luck!
Thank you so much majesty.

We have also submitted our application 5 months and 10 days ago. . .Inland.

Our age gap is 32 years. . .she is older. Different cultures, ethnicity, nothing same. . .weird how we clicked together :) Have not heard anything back from CIC yet regarding AIP, except receiving my Open work permit.
Feel so worried.

Also one more thing, my family has no idea that I got married. They just can't even imagine me getting married to her. But her all friends and family are aware and even came to our wedding in Canada. So when they do background check in my country, do they go to my house back home or does in any other way it matters if my family is aware ?? Do they have to know that I have applied for spousal sponsorship ?

Thanks. Looking for answers from helpful people on this forum.

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017 (AOR 1); 26-05-2017 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)

Our age gap is 32 years. . .she is older. Different cultures, ethnicity, nothing same. . .weird how we clicked together :) Have not heard anything back from CIC yet regarding AIP, except receiving my Open work permit.
Feel so worried.

Also one more thing, my family has no idea that I got married. They just can't even imagine me getting married to her. But her all friends and family are aware and even came to our wedding in Canada. So when they do background check in my country, do they go to my house back home or does in any other way it matters if my family is aware ?? Do they have to know that I have applied for spousal sponsorship ?

As you know, the fact that people are usually in different stages in their lives emotionally, family, life and financially (being 20 or 30 years apart in age), automatically raises red flags. This is the case with the immigration officers and with people in your life (family, friends, acquaintances etc).
I also have issues with telling some family and friends about my relationship with my partner as I know that they have pre-conceived notions of an older woman being with a younger man, as did he. However I didn't go out of my way to hide it. My sister whom I am closest to in my family is not happy that we are together and thinks he is using me financially and/or to come to Canada. She didn't want to get to know my partner even though they have met a few times and we do have pictures together. However, she would not write a letter of support for our application. We applied without her "consent", as the important thing is that you are sure of and invested in your relationship and shouldn't be worried of what others think.

I have read other cases where couples have applied and the family and/or friends disapproved of the relationship and they were successful in their application to sponsor their spouse. Sometimes after people are given the opportunity to know the other spouse, they change their minds. Unfortunately, friends and family are very quick to judge the situation immediately without giving the other person a chance before they make up their minds.

Don't worry about immigration officials actually going back home to talk to family and friends, they won't go to that much trouble. It is your business if you tell your family and friends, however most people usually tell some friends and family because they need letters of support at the very least. If immigrations officials have doubts about your relationship, they will request an interview with the principal applicant. If you are applying inland, it will take place at a government office in N. America, I believe. I am not sure where, I think it depends on where you are living. You might want to ask on the inland app thread.

BTW, the background check is for criminality and history of where the PA has been/lived since the age of 18. The eligibility check looks at things like the genuineness of your relationship with your spouse.

Hopefully you won't need an interview. If you do, there is good information on this discussion forum and many who have been through this process before. I am strangely not worried now about the interview should my partner be called for one (he might be), because I know our relationship is genuine even if there are red flags. Even if an application is rejected, one can still appeal the decision.

Good luck with the rest of this process! Hopefully it won't be as bad as you think!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

Feel so worried.

I have heard of visa officers conducting unannounced spot checks at applicant's homes, and asking neighbours/family that happen to be there about them. Although this was for an outland app where the applicant was still living in home country. I highly doubt this would ever happen for an inland app, since the app will be processed entirely inside Canada. Or if it did happen, it would be a check at your home in Canada so not involving your family at all.

The age gap may or may not be a big issue depending on some other factors.
In your culture, what is the view of marrying a much older women?
What country are you from? Is it one known for high rates of immigration fraud, a visa-exempt country, etc?

Basically IRCC will be suspicious that you are marrying her only to get PR status. Hopefully you submitted lots of proofs of a true relationship and marriage to prove your case. Did you submit evidence of joint financial accounts, insurance on each other, etc etc? Keep gathering ongoing evidence of the relationship just in case they ask for more, or if an interview is scheduled.

Inlandspouse

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
As you know, the fact that people are usually in different stages in their lives emotionally, family, life and financially (being 20 or 30 years apart in age), automatically raises red flags. This is the case with the immigration officers and with people in your life (family, friends, acquaintances etc).
I also have issues with telling some family and friends about my relationship with my partner as I know that they have pre-conceived notions of an older woman being with a younger man, as did he. However I didn't go out of my way to hide it. My sister whom I am closest to in my family is not happy that we are together and thinks he is using me financially and/or to come to Canada. She didn't want to get to know my partner even though they have met a few times and we do have pictures together. However, she would not write a letter of support for our application. We applied without her "consent", as the important thing is that you are sure of and invested in your relationship and shouldn't be worried of what others think.

I have read other cases where couples have applied and the family and/or friends disapproved of the relationship and they were successful in their application to sponsor their spouse. Sometimes after people are given the opportunity to know the other spouse, they change their minds. Unfortunately, friends and family are very quick to judge the situation immediately without giving the other person a chance before they make up their minds.

Don't worry about immigration officials actually going back home to talk to family and friends, they won't go to that much trouble. It is your business if you tell your family and friends, however most people usually tell some friends and family because they need letters of support at the very least. If immigrations officials have doubts about your relationship, they will request an interview with the principal applicant. If you are applying inland, it will take place at a government office in N. America, I believe. I am not sure where, I think it depends on where you are living. You might want to ask on the inland app thread.

BTW, the background check is for criminality and history of where the PA has been/lived since the age of 18. The eligibility check looks at things like the genuineness of your relationship with your spouse.

Hopefully you won't need an interview. If you do, there is good information on this discussion forum and many who have been through this process before. I am strangely not worried now about the interview should my partner be called for one (he might be), because I know our relationship is genuine even if there are red flags. Even if an application is rejected, one can still appeal the decision.

Good luck with the rest of this process! Hopefully it won't be as bad as you think!
Thanks a lot for your detailed response and taking time to explain things in detail.

I can truly understand what you are saying about people judging. I went through a really hard phase here when I came to Canada on tourist visa and every friend of my wife would think that she is making a big big mistake. Same thing my friends thought back home that I was making a big mistake.

I applied Inland so can't appeal the decision but hopefully will not rejected. We are actually sure of the interview and should be good as I look and act a lot older than I am and my wife acts and look a lot younger than she really is. Maybe it will help them realise how WE happened :)

Good luck to you with everything too !!