+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

big age gap

Inlandspouse

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
I have heard of visa officers conducting unannounced spot checks at applicant's homes, and asking neighbours/family that happen to be there about them. Although this was for an outland app where the applicant was still living in home country. I highly doubt this would ever happen for an inland app, since the app will be processed entirely inside Canada. Or if it did happen, it would be a check at your home in Canada so not involving your family at all.

The age gap may or may not be a big issue depending on some other factors.
In your culture, what is the view of marrying a much older women?
What country are you from? Is it one known for high rates of immigration fraud, a visa-exempt country, etc?

Basically IRCC will be suspicious that you are marrying her only to get PR status. Hopefully you submitted lots of proofs of a true relationship and marriage to prove your case. Did you submit evidence of joint financial accounts, insurance on each other, etc etc? Keep gathering ongoing evidence of the relationship just in case they ask for more, or if an interview is scheduled.
When I read the first line of your post, you scared the s*** out of me.lol

Thank you so much for your response. Yes I think it would really prove our relationship undoubtedly to them if they decide to visit our place in Toronto.. .just don't contact family back home.

Well in my culture just like most of the cultures, marrying an older women is very unusual as compared to marrying an older men. I don't know much about the percentage of immigration fraud as we have one of the biggest populations but yeah we are eligible to apply under CAN+ scheme under which we can get a TRV (tourist visa) until the validity of our passport. I have TRV for 8 years as that is when my passport expires.

We could not submit joint financial accounts and insurance policies. I was here on visitor visa and so I need to have a driver's license or any other Canadian id to even open a bank account. I like your idea of keeping evidences of the ongoing relationship to show in case they ask for more proof.

Thanks a lot.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
We could not submit joint financial accounts and insurance policies. I was here on visitor visa and so I need to have a driver's license or any other Canadian id to even open a bank account. I like your idea of keeping evidences of the ongoing relationship to show in case they ask for more proof.
There are some banks that will let you open a joint account as a visitor. I know others have posted on this forum they were able to do it, so perhaps you can search for some posts to see what banks are recommended.
Or if she has a credit card, she can easily add you as a supplemental user so both your names would appear on the same bill.
You can easily get a joint life insurance policy and list each other as beneficiaries. Of if she has work employment benefits, RRSPs, other investments, etc, she can also list you as spouse and primary beneficiary.
You can show records that both of you have changed tax status with CRA from single to married.

If you didn't include any evidence of shared finances in your app, that would raise the chance of them asking for more info or being called to an interview. Of course it sounds like you were already expecting this, so just make sure in the meantime you try to get as many of these pieces of evidence as possible.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks a lot.
You don't need a Canadian ID to open a bank account here. Quite easily done without one.

Reactions: Inlandspouse

Inlandspouse

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
There are some banks that will let you open a joint account as a visitor. I know others have posted on this forum they were able to do it, so perhaps you can search for some posts to see what banks are recommended.
Or if she has a credit card, she can easily add you as a supplemental user so both your names would appear on the same bill.
You can easily get a joint life insurance policy and list each other as beneficiaries. Of if she has work employment benefits, RRSPs, other investments, etc, she can also list you as spouse and primary beneficiary.
You can show records that both of you have changed tax status with CRA from single to married.

If you didn't include any evidence of shared finances in your app, that would raise the chance of them asking for more info or being called to an interview. Of course it sounds like you were already expecting this, so just make sure in the meantime you try to get as many of these pieces of evidence as possible.
Thanks a lot. I like your idea of adding myself as a supplement user under credit card.
She did file tax returns as married last month and submitted my SIN along with that. I got a driver's license here now so will be opening a bank account soon. We went to TD bank on Pape Ave after we got married to deposit gift money and open a joint account but the manager said she can't. But that case is over now. I am on her car insurance now too.

Do you think we should wait to see if they ask for any more proofs and just keep collecting them or just send them to now without being asked ??

Thanks a lot.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thanks a lot. I like your idea of adding myself as a supplement user under credit card.
She did file tax returns as married last month and submitted my SIN along with that. I got a driver's license here now so will be opening a bank account soon. We went to TD bank on Pape Ave after we got married to deposit gift money and open a joint account but the manager said she can't. But that case is over now. I am on her car insurance now too.

Do you think we should wait to see if they ask for any more proofs and just keep collecting them or just send them to now without being asked ??

Thanks a lot.
I would keep collecting further proofs, but wait to see if they ask you for more info before sending anything.

MaryL

Apr 24, 2014
Land of Living Skies
Visa Office......
Rabat
App. Filed.......
30-10-14
AOR Received.
22-01-15
File Transfer...
27-01-15
Med's Done....
28-08-14 Redone 25-07-17
Interview........
21-05-15 DM 10-08-17
Passport Req..
05-10-17
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-17
LANDED..........
14-10-17
Sin number is Canadian I.D.
I think some visa officers have a problem with family not only not attending. But not knowing. Whether they approve or not how do you not share your happy news. Any way hope it doesn't affect outcome.