Med's Done....
Dec-01-2011
Passport Req..
April-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
July-16-2012
LANDED..........
Aug-11-2012
My wife will have her VISA soon and I'm wondering if she needs to fill out the B4 and B4a forms before she land?

I'm not that sure what she should list on those forms. I mean, does she have to list all her personnal stuff that she's bringing here in her luggage? (ex : clothes? electronics?, etc)

thanks for your help !

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Yes, her clothing, electronics, any household goods and possessions which will accompany or follow her to Canada are what go on the B4 and B4A.

Ludovick

Star Member
May 16, 2011
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-13-2011
AOR Received.
Feb-22-2012
File Transfer...
Mar-12-2012
Med's Done....
Dec-01-2011
Passport Req..
April-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
July-16-2012
LANDED..........
Aug-11-2012
CharlieD10 said:
Yes, her clothing, electronics, any household goods and possessions which will accompany or follow her to Canada are what go on the B4 and B4A.
ah ok, thank you so much for your answer 8)

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Will the immigration officer at the port of entry search luggage to verify what is listed on the B4 form (e.g. clothing)?

How about if you are bringing pets? That wouldn't go on that form, right?

FS

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ludovick said:
My wife will have her VISA soon and I'm wondering if she needs to fill out the B4 and B4a forms before she land?

I'm not that sure what she should list on those forms. I mean, does she have to list all her personnal stuff that she's bringing here in her luggage? (ex : clothes? electronics?, etc)

thanks for your help !
Great idea to start on these early :)

Your wife should list everything she's bringing in her luggage initially or plans to eventually bring with her (e.g., ship, bring in a future trip) as long as she currently owns it and has used it and has it in her possession.

For clothes and toiletries, you can just estimate the value - ideally on separate line items per trip so that you don't run into issues when they cross items off as you import them. For jewelry and electronics, you do need to list them one per line item and include: for jewelry a photo (can be one you took yourself and printed) - don't forget wedding bands! - and for electronics you should include model and serial number. There's a special section for vehicles that requires additional details. You can complete multiple B4A forms and just number them. Folks have also reported using other formats (Excel, packing lists) successfully.

If she can take an extra copy with her, it will make life easier for you and the CBSA agent since they keep one and give one (once stamped) back to you.

If you decide to use them, the B4 is available at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf
And the B4A is at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/b4a/. Be sure to check ''goods to follow" if she's not bringing everything in when she lands and then keep the forms safely so you have them available for future trips. Note that the stamped B4/B4A serves as proof that you imported the items legally in perpetuity.

Detailed instructions are at http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5113-eng.html

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fencesitter said:
Will the immigration officer at the port of entry search luggage to verify what is listed on the B4 form (e.g. clothing)?

How about if you are bringing pets? That wouldn't go on that form, right?

FS
It's always their prerogative to search luggage, and generally speaking, new immigrants tend to get more detailed questions on what they are bringing in than others. In addition, they will ask you for the exact line items you are bringing in vs. which are goods to follow since they need to cross off line items as you import them on the stamped original copy you bring in. And, having an item on the B4 serves as proof, in perpetuity, that you legally imported the item.

Instructions to import pets are at http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pet-imports/eng/1326600389775/1326600500578 I can't think of a good reason why I wouldn't add my pet to the B4 (they won't have a visa, so they wouldn't be a 'family member' :p). It would help answer any questions and isn't hard to add on to the list. ;)

Ludovick

Star Member
May 16, 2011
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-13-2011
AOR Received.
Feb-22-2012
File Transfer...
Mar-12-2012
Med's Done....
Dec-01-2011
Passport Req..
April-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
July-16-2012
LANDED..........
Aug-11-2012
...and what is the difference between b4 and b4a ?? for me they look a bit the same...

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ludovick said:
...and what is the difference between b4 and b4a ?? for me they look a bit the same...
They are very similar. They both have a column for the item and one for the value. The B4A is a continuation of the B4 that you'll need if you are bringing more than 8 items/types of items and as a continuation form asks for less bio data than the B4 so you don't need to write it out more than once.

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
I just went through this. Landed in Vancouver on Thursday. My mom didn't print her forms so it took longer. I did a b4. They didn't care about a b4a. A spreadsheet was fine. Then we met the truck at the border. That was more complicated since I missed that I had to export the car from the US. We were lucky to get the 72 hour wait waived. They didnt check our suitcases at the airport but the guy did take a look inside the truck. No biggie.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadiangirl78 said:
I just went through this. Landed in Vancouver on Thursday. My mom didn't print her forms so it took longer. I did a b4. They didn't care about a b4a. A spreadsheet was fine. Then we met the truck at the border. That was more complicated since I missed that I had to export the car from the US. We were lucky to get the 72 hour wait waived. They didnt check our suitcases at the airport but the guy did take a look inside the truck. No biggie.
Glad it worked out for you :). Hopefully you get a chance to relax before heading back to your husband to wait it out.

The idea with the B4/B4A is to communicate to CBSA what you are taking in so they can stamp it making your stuff legal. As I said above, some folks use the official forms, others have used other formats (spreadsheets, movers packing lists, etc) and reported that customs accepts them - sometimes requiring you at least use a B4 as cover page. The key is to start a list of what your wife is taking (eg clothes $xxx, books $xxx, toiletries $xxx and individually listing electronics with model and serial number and attaching photos of jewelry). It's not a big deal other than creating the inventory of what she'll want to take. That's why it's often easiest to remember that if you're not sure if you're taking it or leaving it behind, it's best to add it to the B4 since you don't *have* to take it with you if you listed it but have the option to should you choose to put it in the suitcase or leave it with friends for later pick up.

tajc

Apr 8, 2011
Quick question: I will land by the end of may.
I bought a camera and a cell-phone on my last trip to canada. When I fill out my B4 form should I mentioned it on the form because I dont have the receipt for it anymore?! Thank you in advance.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tajc said:
Quick question: I will land by the end of may.
I bought a camera and a cell-phone on my last trip to canada. When I fill out my B4 form should I mentioned it on the form because I dont have the receipt for it anymore?! Thank you in advance.
I would include them :D

belee1985

Star Member
Feb 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a little question about the B4 and B4A.

My spouse is coming Canada for a week on vacation, and will officially land before permanently moving here. He plans on coming back in December with his car and his belongings. Does he have to fill out the B4 AND the B4A, or ONLY the B4A (by checking "goods to follow" on that form)?

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me, as I am pretty confused about the whole process.

Any other requirements/advice about the car? He's coming in December with his car, but does he already have to "declare" his car on that form when landing?

Thank you so much for your help

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
When he lands he needs to claim everything. He needs to use the B4 for sure. The B4A is for overflow. Spreadsheet is ok too. Make sure he files the forms to export the car ahead of time if he is in the US. There is a 72 hour waiting period. I didn't know about that and it was a huge pain.