+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Authentication of Marriage Certificate by Ministry of External Affairs-needed???

shimnui1

Jun 28, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Guys,
So no need to authenticate the marriage certificate by Ministry of External Affairs, correct? Just submit the photocopy?

gk_phoenix

Aug 25, 2019
Hi,

I was uploading my documents for post ITA proof and found that in my Indian marriage certificate, there is a rubber stamp imprinted which says:

"If the document is needed or used in foreign countries or for acceptance by foreign missions in India, authentication of the document by the designated authority, viz Ministry of External Affairs, Govt. of India is necessary".

Does it mean, I have to authenticate it before I can actually use this document or is it not needed for EE application?

Anyone who has this in their marriage certificate?

Thanks in advance,
Chiranjit
Hey Chiranjit, what did you do ? I have the same rubber stamp, scratching my head thinking what to do! Appreciate if you can respond with your experience or what would be a safe path to proceed with this.

Reactions: Supratim123

pathan19

Star Member
Mar 16, 2020
Hey guys, I just submitted marriage affidavit and my application for cancelled. Please let me know if you guys found any inputs on this one ?

FeelTheBern

Star Member
Nov 15, 2020
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-12-2020
Med's Request
22-03-2022
Med's Done....
01-04-2022
Passport Req..
14-04-2022
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2022
I have a similar issue.
In my Indian marriage certificate issued by Hindu marriage registrar, there is a rubber stamp imprinted which says:

"If the document is needed or used in foreign countries or for acceptance by foreign missions in India, authentication of the document by the designated authority, viz Ministry of External Affairs, Govt. of India is necessary".

What did you guys eventually do and what was the outcome? @pathan19 @gk_phoenix @chiranjit @shimnui1 @tormentor

Appreciate your help!

Last edited:

Supratim123

Jun 4, 2023
Okay, so here is the reason why it might not be required:

Apostille convention (the apparent reason why that indicator is there in certificate) is not specific to India. In that case, CIC would have explicitly mentioned that the marriage certificates needs to be attested by MEA/relevant authorities. Instead, they say "If the applicant married outside Canada, a copy of a legal certificate issued by the country, the territory or the region where the marriage took place must be provided." They never mention that the document needs to be validated for use within the Canadian jurisdiction (which is the entire point of the apostille).

So I have a feeling that it should be okay, even if it is not MEA attested. But again, this might be me reading between the lines to get convinced that I did the right thing.
Hey I am in same boat. Can you please tell me what happened for you? You did anything or with that stamp it worked fine ? Thanks for your response in advance

Supratim123

Jun 4, 2023
Its a sensitive matter though I haven't heard of anyone getting rejected because of this reason. I have posted a separate post to see if anyone with similar situation has got PR wihtouht authentication - lets see if anyone responds.
Hi I am in same situation. Can you pls tell me what happened for you? You authenticated it or not. Thanks.

Supratim123

Jun 4, 2023
I have a similar issue.
In my Indian marriage certificate issued by Hindu marriage registrar, there is a rubber stamp imprinted which says:

What did you guys eventually do and what was the outcome? @pathan19 @gk_phoenix @chiranjit @shimnui1 @tormentor

Appreciate your help!
Hey what you did on authentication? Can you please tell as I am in the same boat. I have that thing written.

Supratim123

Jun 4, 2023
Hey Chiranjit, what did you do ? I have the same rubber stamp, scratching my head thinking what to do! Appreciate if you can respond with your experience or what would be a safe path to proceed with this.
Hey what did you do ? Can you please tell? I am in the same boat? I have that stamp.

priyesh88

Dec 28, 2023
Hi,

I was uploading my documents for post ITA proof and found that in my Indian marriage certificate, there is a rubber stamp imprinted which says:

Does it mean, I have to authenticate it before I can actually use this document or is it not needed for EE application?

Anyone who has this in their marriage certificate?

Thanks in advance,
Chiranjit
What did you did finally? I am in the same boat and not sure what to do. I am currently residing in Canada.