+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Authentication of Marriage Certificate by Ministry of External Affairs-needed???

chiranjit

Star Member
Jun 7, 2013
xpressentry said:
http://mea.gov.in/apostille.htm
Thanks, I checked the link and got the details. I am not in India. So, its kind of difficult for me to get it done. Do you know how long it usually takes and if I can ask my parents to get it done for me? will the state govt or MEA entertain the request?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
chiranjit said:
Thanks, I checked the link and got the details. I am not in India. So, its kind of difficult for me to get it done. Do you know how long it usually takes and if I can ask my parents to get it done for me? will the state govt or MEA entertain the request?
If you have time and resources, you should definitely give a shot and see. It might just end up as a half day work.

cavemen

Star Member
Feb 22, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tormentor said:
Oh man! I have this in my certificate too. I noticed it late and by then had already submitted my application. Its still in process, so don't know if it will be rejected or not. :'( :'(
Get this done and if they ask for additional documents upload it, else open a conversation with them and then upload it

chiranjit

Star Member
Jun 7, 2013
On a different note, anyone knows when authentication of a document is needed? I got my WP from Canada with the same marriage certificate. So, I guess they will honor the same during the PR filing as it is the same organization - CIC.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
If the documents was issued in india, the Indian mission in your country will do it and you don't need to go to india physically to do it. If your marriage certificate explicitly states that you need further attestation to be done for uses outside india, CIC can read it and request it.

Religious marriages are not recognised in india. Therefore, can't use a religious marriage certificate for immigration

chiranjit

Star Member
Jun 7, 2013
xpressentry said:
If the documents was issued in india, the Indian mission in your country will do it and you don't need to go to india physically to do it. If your marriage certificate explicitly states that you need further attestation to be done for uses outside india, CIC can read it and request it.

Religious marriages are not recognised in india. Therefore, can't use a religious marriage certificate for immigration
CIC nowadays is directly rejecting. They have stopped the habit of asking for further clarification or documents. That is making me nervous. But, to be on the safer side, I will have it done. Indian mission is not authorised to authenticate it outside India, it should be done by the Ministry of Home from the state govt first and then the Ministry of External Affairs - basically a 2 step process.

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
chiranjit said:
CIC nowadays is directly rejecting. They have stopped the habit of asking for further clarification or documents. That is making me nervous. But, to be on the safer side, I will have it done. Indian mission is not authorised to authenticate it outside India, it should be done by the Ministry of Home from the state govt first and then the Ministry of External Affairs - basically a 2 step process.
Wow! That's a bummer.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
xpressentry said:

I have a marriage certificate that says extract from Hindu marriage act or something.. It's running for four pages with all my family details. Should I submit or skip it?

This certificate was given in addition to the the regular certificate with photo given by town.

chiranjit

Star Member
Jun 7, 2013
DEEPCUR said:
I have a marriage certificate that says extract from Hindu marriage act or something.. It's running for four pages with all my family details. Should I submit or skip it?

This certificate was given in addition to the the regular certificate with photo given by town.
The regular one should be fine.

Pune210682

Sep 7, 2017
Oh man! I have this in my certificate too. I noticed it late and by then had already submitted my application. Its still in process, so don't know if it will be rejected or not. :'( :'(
Any update?
My marriage certificate has similar stamp. But our passports have name of spouse mentioned, do I still need the marriage cert to be approved by MEA?

Pune210682

Sep 7, 2017
Hi,

I was uploading my documents for post ITA proof and found that in my Indian marriage certificate, there is a rubber stamp imprinted which says:

"If the document is needed or used in foreign countries or for acceptance by foreign missions in India, authentication of the document by the designated authority, viz Ministry of External Affairs, Govt. of India is necessary".

Does it mean, I have to authenticate it before I can actually use this document or is it not needed for EE application?

Anyone who has this in their marriage certificate?

Thanks in advance,
Chiranjit
Please let me know your current status, as I am in same boat. My passport has my spouse name.

Snapdragon

Star Member
Dec 25, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Warsaw
AOR Received.
19-03-2018
Passport Req..
29-08-2018
Hi guys!
I'm not from India but from a European country and I am also worried if the documents (marriage certificate, uni diplomas) need to go through the authentication, because officially I could not find any information from CIC that says so.

What I have found is that Canada is not a member of a Hague convention, meaning Apostille is not applicable for them. What they ask for is to get the documents legalized in MEA and then take the documents to Canadian embassy so they put their signature on it.

"Canada is not a member of the 1961 Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents. This convention replaced legalization, in member states, as the default procedure with a system of apostille. Its mechanisms are not applicable to Canada." - this sentence I found in many websites of Canadian embassies in different countries.