+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Authentication of Marriage Certificate by Ministry of External Affairs-needed???

chiranjit

Star Member
Jun 7, 2013
Hi,

I was uploading my documents for post ITA proof and found that in my Indian marriage certificate, there is a rubber stamp imprinted which says:

"If the document is needed or used in foreign countries or for acceptance by foreign missions in India, authentication of the document by the designated authority, viz Ministry of External Affairs, Govt. of India is necessary".

Does it mean, I have to authenticate it before I can actually use this document or is it not needed for EE application?

Anyone who has this in their marriage certificate?

Thanks in advance,
Chiranjit

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
yes, it's called apostille. get it from the MEA.

wan11knu

Jan 27, 2017
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
xpressentry said:
yes, it's called apostille. get it from the MEA.
Hi. Is the apostille needed if I have my marriage certificate from the govt of Maharashtra, Mumbai registrar?

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
wan11knu said:
Hi. Is the apostille needed if I have my marriage certificate from the govt of Maharashtra, Mumbai registrar?
you need it if you have the stamp that the OP has

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wan11knu said:
Do you have that stamp in your marriage certificate? I will be getting mine next month in Pune, so need to understand if this is the case in Maharashtra?

xpressentry said:
you need it if you have the stamp that the OP has
Do you know process to get apostille from MEA?

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
http://mea.gov.in/apostille.htm

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
One question related to marriage certificate .. I got two different sets of marriage certificate when I registered the marriage. One with photo of myself and spouse issued by the town registrar. The other one is something like three pages without photo. Some Hindu marriage registration or something.. Which one needs to be uploaded?

tormentor

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh man! I have this in my certificate too. I noticed it late and by then had already submitted my application. Its still in process, so don't know if it will be rejected or not. :'( :'(

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
chiranjit said:
Hi, does anyone know what is the whole process to get it done and how long the whole process takes.
xpressentry shared a link above. It has all the instructions and contact information for the agencies you will need to use.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
tormentor said:
Oh man! I have this in my certificate too. I noticed it late and by then had already submitted my application. Its still in process, so don't know if it will be rejected or not. :'( :'(

Is it not all set if your medicals become passed?

tormentor

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Okay, so here is the reason why it might not be required:

Apostille convention (the apparent reason why that indicator is there in certificate) is not specific to India. In that case, CIC would have explicitly mentioned that the marriage certificates needs to be attested by MEA/relevant authorities. Instead, they say "If the applicant married outside Canada, a copy of a legal certificate issued by the country, the territory or the region where the marriage took place must be provided." They never mention that the document needs to be validated for use within the Canadian jurisdiction (which is the entire point of the apostille).

So I have a feeling that it should be okay, even if it is not MEA attested. But again, this might be me reading between the lines to get convinced that I did the right thing.

tormentor

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DEEPCUR said:
Is it not all set if your medicals become passed?
Noopes :( It can easily get rejected within the next month when they do the completeness check and eligibility review.

chiranjit

Star Member
Jun 7, 2013
Its a sensitive matter though I haven't heard of anyone getting rejected because of this reason. I have posted a separate post to see if anyone with similar situation has got PR wihtouht authentication - lets see if anyone responds.