+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

August 2014 applicant and accepted to University

Choc24

May 27, 2014
Hi there!! Me and my wife have applied a year ago in the cec category (I'm the main applicant). We both hold open work permits at the moment. She applied at the University thinking that by September we would have our residence. Silly us! She just got accepted at York. According to this:
http://calendars.registrar.yorku.ca/2012-2013/financial/fee_categories/
she doesn't have to pay international fees. However, I'm sure she will need a study permit. Does that mean that her open work permit will not be valid anymore?

We really need the money, specially if we're gonna pay for the university... it says on the cic website that she can work up to 20 hrs weekly with the study permit but only if she's a full time student. Which it doesn't make much sense because I was thinking she could study part time for a year till we get our residence, but if she does that she can't work right?
I don't quite understand how this works to be honest. I'm planning on calling tomorrow to cic to see what they say.

Anyone has any insight on the matter?

Thanks!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She needs a study permit if she wants to start studying before she is a PR. At this point it is too late to obtain a study permit for September.

And yes - she would need to be a full time student in order to be allowed to work while studying. If she is only a part time student, she is prohibited from working.

Choc24

May 27, 2014
That's what I thought. It is just so ridiculous to live in this limbo. She can't study since she wouldn't have the work permit. She can't just study part-time since she wouldn't be able to work. And we don't get our residence for whatever reason we can't be spending 7000 dol in university when we would need that money to settle back home. After almost 6 years here we're still as foreigners as when we first came. It is so frustrating. I guess her only choice is to try again next year.

KKMONKEY

May 13, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep-10-2014
AOR Received.
Jan-22-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
March-15-2016
LANDED..........
April-10-2016
Exact same problem I was a having. Except that I am the main applicant myself. I talked to my lawyer about my situation, and she suggested me to defer a year because if there's anything wrong with my immigration case, I wouldn't be able to apply again easily as a student. Plus there's little time to get a study permit. I am pretty upset about the delay in CEC :'(

Choc24

May 27, 2014
Hi kkmonkey! So good to hear from someone going through the same. Defer means that they guarantee you admission for next year right? It's so hard. To be just waiting and losing another year of study is unbearable while also being so close... have you talked to cic or the university? did they suggest anything? I'm trying to see if there's an angle to use but I don't think there's any...

vonronge

Aug 13, 2015
It actually depends on how she got her open work permit. It wont necessarily be canceled.

Good luck.

Choc24

May 27, 2014
I called cic twice (I'm the wife) and both times they told me that if I get a study permit my owp will still be valid!!! Isn't that amazing? Unfortunately I still don't have enough time to apply for the study permit. Classes start next week.

KKMONKEY

May 13, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep-10-2014
AOR Received.
Jan-22-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
March-15-2016
LANDED..........
April-10-2016
That's good news. I wasn't sure about your work permit. My lawyer said my closed work permit would still be valid even if I get a study permit. If you really want to go to school, maybe try apply through LA office. It's showing 6 weeks processing time. If nobody check on your study permit at school, you might get away with it.
I talked to my faculty and they said it's ok for me to go back next year. You could try explain your situation to the University and defer a year as well. Either way, we will get there eventually. Just need to be more patient.

vonronge

Aug 13, 2015
Choc24 said:
I called cic twice (I'm the wife) and both times they told me that if I get a study permit my owp will still be valid!!! Isn't that amazing? Unfortunately I still don't have enough time to apply for the study permit. Classes start next week.
Just apply for it and go to class without it. Promise to bring it in as soon as you get it. Show them the receipt, a copy of the form or whatever, and say implied status over and over if they argue. Say you expect it in the mail "any day now". You can get away with it if you have the balls to try. (in the old days, a warship couldn't sail if it didn't have balls for its cannon). I did it that way.

Choc24

May 27, 2014
Oh I would love to do that if it didn't actually endanger my residence application. You are technically studying without a permit. After all this years of waiting, I'll just wait another one. :(

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
hi Choc24,

been in canada on a student or work permit means that your status is temporarily and it doe not matter how long you have been here so wait till you get your permanent status if you want to study and work on the same time and stop blaming cic please you are well within the frame time which is about 13 or 14 months now,you thinking that you might get parmanent resident status before school starts is an ssumption you took at your own risk and immigration is not to blame for.i hate it when others gets so selfish and think just about themselves thinking cic officers are super men or they only have your application to process.
sit tight and wait for your pr,good luck.

Choc24

May 27, 2014
Maybe you should stop assuming things about me, canadavisa13. When we applied for our pr the processing time was 13 months and they were actually moving fast. Right now, even if we are within the processing time, is hard seeing how little progress there is and besides, at no point did I complain about the cic. I complained about being in a limbo zone where we don't know what's going to happen and not being able to make decisions you might regret later.
And maybe you should refrain yourself from saying things you're not informed about, because you can actually study and work at the same time. If I had been admitted earlier at the university I would be starting classes next Tuesday (another consequence from the Express Entry: the processing times for temporary permits have increased dramatically).
So unless you have anything useful to say, piss off.

KKMONKEY

May 13, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep-10-2014
AOR Received.
Jan-22-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
March-15-2016
LANDED..........
April-10-2016
I agree! I would have applied for a study permit if I got the offer from school earlier. I got it almost the end of July which left me little time to get study permit. You will be taking a risk studying without a study permit, if CIC ever checks to see if you are actually working later on. After all these years.... Exactly what I thought...

shdmfgus

Aug 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept-25-2014
AOR Received.
Feb-05-2015
Med's Request
Mar-03-2016
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt Country
VISA ISSUED...
Apr-06-2016
Choc24 said:
Maybe you should stop assuming things about me, canadavisa13. When we applied for our pr the processing time was 13 months and they were actually moving fast. Right now, even if we are within the processing time, is hard seeing how little progress there is and besides, at no point did I complain about the cic. I complained about being in a limbo zone where we don't know what's going to happen and not being able to make decisions you might regret later.
And maybe you should refrain yourself from saying things you're not informed about, because you can actually study and work at the same time. If I had been admitted earlier at the university I would be starting classes next Tuesday (another consequence from the Express Entry: the processing times for temporary permits have increased dramatically).
So unless you have anything useful to say, piss off.
I agree with you! Why do we have people on this forum pretending they are representatives of CIC or fraud immigration consultants. saying Dont blame CIC, watch how our cases are getting delayed and just spend your money when they ask like I did blahblah. hillarious.